Uniforms are anything but?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Laura Cynthia Chambers, Jul 29, 2016.

1. DeepSpaceYorks

DeepSpaceYorks Commander Red Shirt

2. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

One of the big differences between star trek uniform changes and those I see in my real life service is that Star Trek undergoes radical design changes essentially overnight, while I see gradual changes over time.
    For example, we have changed from capes, books wood truncheons and cork helmets to black wicking t shirts, combat trousers and body armour, but by degrees over years. Total changes in uniform are much rarer.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The reason being was that we had those productions during that time. They simply wanted the shows and movies to look different from one another, not to sell action figures. Action figures were just a by-product, just like every other kind of merchandise.

4. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What do some of you think would be the ideal uniform? I've said in another thread that all of them are problematic.

5. C.E. Evans

There's really no such thing as the ideal Starfleet uniform because everyone has a different take on what's ideal. Some would favor something more like current day uniforms, others might go for something very casual, while others still think it should be something very formal.

6. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When you get to the point where literally anything could be considered a uniform, you've hit rock bottom.

They should be functional, modest, strong, easy to wear, and adaptable to a change in living conditions. I think if they wore TNG pants with TOS similar shirts, that might make sense.

Tracy Trek likes this.
  7. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ideal to me (since we're talking about a fictional future), would be something that would keep a person cool when needed and warm when needed. It should be simple, designed for comfort and practical, so no shoes on the end of the pants like the TMP uniforms. No plunging necklines for women and thigh high mini-skirts.

8. C.E. Evans

Uniforms are also subject to the particular culture and/or time of the society it comes from. What may seem completely and utterly impractical to us, may not be at all to those from another place and time.

9. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Wouldn't you agree that you're more likely to run into a modestly-dressed race than a show-everything one? And so you should reach the happy medium of form and function?

10. C.E. Evans

Not necessarily, because of the variety of different civilizations with different standards of what is proper (that exists even today here on Earth). An argument could be made that you're more likely to run into people more covered up if the environment of their ship or space station tends to run more on the cool side though. In that sense, it's not a case of adhering to a Human sense of indoctrinated modesty, but simply dressing for warmth.

11. Laura Cynthia Chambers

You can dress for warm weather and still be modest.

Further, if you took immodestly dressed native aliens to a cold place, they'd be more likely to appreciate a warm robe than a more modest race would feel comfortable about showing all in the heat.

12. C.E. Evans

It depends on the particular culture. Modesty varies from culture to culture and from species to species. We view Trek from a late 20th-Century/early 21st-Century viewpoint, so it's kind of expected that some aspects of fashion might not seem appropriate to us--just like some of our ancestors from centuries ago might view some of our current day attire as being inappropriate to them.

13. DeepSpaceYorks

DeepSpaceYorks Commander Red Shirt

Well, modesty varies from country to country here on Earth! Likely to be the same around the universe. It's one of my problems with Trek's alien cultures. Often a planets culture is treated as homogenous whereas here on Earth the variety of culture is huge, even within a single city.

Tracy Trek likes this.
  14. C.E. Evans

That may be a result of Trek may be only showing one aspect of an alien society at a time--the one that deals with Starfleet crews. The one alien race we really got to see a bigger picture of were probably the Bajorans in DS9.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Something like the DS9/Voyager or the First Contact uniforms for regular duty, and the TOS movie maroon coats for dress uniforms.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

They always looked hot and uncomfortable to me.

JJohnson and Tracy Trek like this.
  17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only because of the 5 layers or something that they have. If they cut them down to a lighter jacket style, like the VOY thickness, but kept the FC undershirt color scheme I think it would have been an ok, or just the undershirt as duty uniform, with an overtunic, like the TWOK one, for dress uniform, like @The Wormhole suggested.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Only in futures ruled by network Standards & Practices. :)

Why would Terran standards of modesty be more likely throughout the universe?

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I don't think the actual costumes were in five layers. The shirts might even be dickies, unless they need a scene where the jacket was unzipped.

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it depends on the episode. At least in "In the Pale Moonlight" Sisko has a vest under his duty jacket, then the undershirt. But, that might have been episode specific.