Ugly Things That Ruin a Show

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Spot's Meow, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Quark in a dress, I can deal with. But Phlox and his toenails... I really, really wish you hadn't reminded me! :lol:

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

I don't remember them but I wouldn't think anyone who called a ship "USS Vengeance" would be one for subtlety or taste.

3. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly.. For every Avatar or Young Justice, or even Teen Titans Go, there is a Flapjack, Regular Show, Billy and Mandy, etc...

The "nasty" started way back with Ren and Stimpy... Occassionally, just for effect, they would do a close up still shot of a character's mouth, nose or whatever, showing it to be disgusting... Now in some cartoons, it's the norm.. Even the "new" Ren and Stimpy overused it... That stuff just makes me cringe.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm going to go against the grain here. People have mentioned animation, so I'll talk about that.

People my age have told me that the animation for the shows G.I Joe and Transformers from the 80's (both shows were by the same company and had the same animation style) were both really crappy. I beg to differ. As a young viewer, I liked the fact that there were certain things that were done in these shows that is pretty rare now. Firstly, the characters were drawn in proportion, rather than being highly stylized. Whether it's simply just a super big chin in BTAS or huge heads and super slender bodies (as in a recent Spider-Man costume) nothing is as ugly to me in animation (at least, animation in which story, action and character are the important elements) than stylized characters with exaggerated proportion. Sunbow (who animated G.I. Joe and Transformers) kept everyone perfectly proportioned, the seemed like real people and real characters. People can say that the animation itself wasn't quite as smooth as some of the latter efforts of more stylized animation, but, screw it, I was able to invest in the characters more if I can take them seriously. Also the backgrounds were well-done and the usual music cues they sued all the time really made me excited.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just watching the commercials for Brickleberry causes me physical discomfort.

As far as I can tell, this is the thought process of Comedy Central executives.

Wow. South Park is the most successful show our network has ever had! We must replicate this success!
    Now, what about South Park makes it successful? Let's see. South Park has clever social commentary, and a lot of grossout jokes.
    Must be the grossout jokes!
    So lets put on a lot more adult cartoons that have a lot of grossout jokes but no cleverness at all.
    Order me another season of Ugly Americans and Brickleberry, NOW!

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The Red Queen on Once Upon a Time in Wonderland had so much Botox in her face she looked like a ballon and it was distracting from the pilot. Ugliest actress I have ever seen on a TV show.

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
    After looking her I gotta ask: don't you think your post is just a bit of an exaggeration? I've seen far uglier actresses and far worse botox jobs.

I will agree that the botox probably ain't helping things though.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you watched the show? It's really distracting to try to watch her act as your bloated face never really moved.

9. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
    Fair enough...and no, I haven't watched the show.