Trip Asking for Prime Rib

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by The Master of Tarquin Hill, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    That's what 'The Secret Logs of Mistress Janeway' are for.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shh! Not everyone is allowed to read those.

3. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Six more syllables and you've got a haiku.

4. Gov Kodos

'Pon far cave, barbecue

5. teacake

That is beautiful Gov Kodos.

6. Gov Kodos

Brought to you by your serendipitous misspelling, and the numbers 7 and 9.

7. T'Parm

T'Parm Captain Captain

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Unintended consequences, if we all stopped eating meat all the live stock would go feral, no point in spending money to care for and feed these animals after all. Then we would have both the serious spread diseases and the destruction of buildings caused by these feral animals, many of them would starve as well. The trouble would bleed over into the wild animal populations and the eco system would be damaged in some areas beyond repair. So often man believes he is doing the right thing because of his emotions and ends up doing in fact the worst possible thing. Also how many human populations would starve because of these feral animals you can't eat them but they are eating all of your food.[/SIZE][/FONT]

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The live stock would not go feral.

9. teacake

The eco system was "damaged beyond repair" by WWIIII.

10. Hazel

Hazel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If we weren't breading all these animals for food, there wouldn't be so many to go feral- plus many rescue centres already take in ex-farm animals, and I can't imagine they'd turn them away even if everyone suddenly stopped eating meat (and the likelihood of the entire planet going vegan overnight is um...slim). So I don't think a mass influx of wild cows is going to be a problem.
    Also, nice haiku :D

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  11. teacake

I do like the idea that it is our duty to eat them to stop them from going feral.

12. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Sort of like how I hunt deer, to prevent them from starving in the winter.

It's the Humanitarian thing to do.

:)

13. teacake

If I don't eat this food it will suffer and die!

:: applies theory to chocolate ::

14. Hazel

Personally I exclusively eat plants as a way to save the world - they're all secretly Triffids, you know. I'm doing you all a favour :D

15. Saganistheman

Saganistheman Lieutenant Red Shirt

Most of the factory farm animals we consume would die in the wild. There is a slim possibility that a small fraction could regain some type of feral survivability but highly unlikely. We have breeded them to be sustained by us. However there is one case to examine. When a tropical storm hi Hawaii many years ago it destroyed many chicken coups in a native village that was abandoned and rebuilt further away from the original location. The people never recovered their scattered chickens and they did not have any natural predators so they became wild and flourished. When developers moved in and began building beautiful resort bungalows on the original village site everything seemed to be going well until the fat tourist got sick of being woken up at dawn every morning by the wild chickens. Do a google search for chicken problems in Hawaii for more info.

16. Mister Spock

Mister Spock Commander Red Shirt

With the advent of the Replicator, meat farming and the eating of real meat is probably no longer a necessary. However, much like the No Smoking sign seen in The Wrath of Khan, just because something is no longer necessary or strictly healthy, doesn't mean people won't still do it.

17. Hazel

I once assumed everyone on Earth was essentially vegan since replicators became standard, but there are several times that humans eat real meat and animal products throughout the later series. It seems to go back to the idea that there is a subtle difference between replicated foods and 'real' food.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

One day I am so going to laugh my ass of if we find out that plants are sentient beings. What would Vegans do then? Move to Vega?

19. Saganistheman

Saganistheman Lieutenant Red Shirt

^ basically I would just come to the conclusion that you can't eat anything without offending someone so I would just just say "to hell with it" and order a double bacon cheeseburger with a side order of popcorn shrimp and and order of chicken tenders drenched in honey-mustard...heart-attack city here I come :bolian:

20. Hazel

Eh, we do the best we can. So far, plants are not known to be sentient, and there's no credible scientific evidence suggesting otherwise that I know of, so I guess we're cool for the moment :)
    In other words, we'll cross that bridge if it comes up :D

(In other words - omnivores choose to eat other animals, but not humans. Vegans choose to eat plants, not animals. We all make our lines in the sand, right? :)