Spoilers TP: Zero Sum Game by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Oct 21, 2010.

?

How would you rate Zero Sum Game?

1. Outstanding

42 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. Above Average

83 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. Average

46 vote(s)
    25.4%
  4. Below Average

8 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Poor

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game Review thread

Oh don't mind me, I'm just venting a bit.

2. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

That probably the number of pages for the paperback.

3. JoeZhang

I go backwards and forwards on that - are his actions realistic? Are they well-written? Do they make sense? Yes to all three... yet... in a way I can't really articulate it's not what I actually want to read about in a Trek novel, a Doctor Bashir who's solution to a problem is to
    murder unarmed civilians
    doesn't seem to be very creative to me. Yes, it's completely realistic in the context provided but I'm reading a Star Trek book not Tom Clancy (although there is a argument there is more fantasy in a Tom Clancy book... ;) )

4. JoeZhang

Oh and I'm surprised that nobody picked up on the (New) Star Trek movie reference.

5. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I've seen that referenced around these parts, made me chuckle when I read it.

Anyway, I finished reading Zero Sum Game yesterday morning, it was ok but not great. I think the anticipation of it and remembering how good on the whole Destiny was, personally left me a little disappointed. There was one point in the story where in focused on Bashir and Douglas for what seemed like a good one hundred pages and I was wanting to find out what was happening onboard Aventine or even back in Paris.

6. Enterprise1981

Enterprise1981 Vice Admiral Admiral

How have some of y'all managed that when I got my copy in the mail just two days ago???

I'm fairly sure I'm going to like both major storylines. As for the politicians' POV, maybe someone could do a sequel to "Articles of the Federation".

Ezri seems like a capable commander. And maybe she sees now that Worf's claim that Julian is sort of an overgrown man-child has merit. There certainly was leftover tension between them.

My wife is a hopeless romantic and was anxious to see Julian and Sarina get together again even if in "Chrysalis" he came off as "some poor schmuck who was constantly leaving unanswered messages on her voicemail or whatever they use in the 24th century". So I have yet to reveal to her the surprise ending (since I'm not supposed to have read it already).

7. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

"Leftover tension"? Specs, please?

I just hope it results in "it wasn't meant to be". Sorry about that...you could say I'm something of a romantic, myself (albiet a celibate romantic)--but I'm Julian/Ezri all the way.

8. Enterprise1981

Enterprise1981 Vice Admiral Admiral

See dialogue between Julian and Ezri at the end of Chapter 6 (pages 62-66).

9. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished it, but was unsatisfied. Not certain why.

10. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really wish the polls defaulted to showing how people voted. Mack's Destiny and Vanguard books are outstanding. I'm wondering who puts this in the same class so I can judge how they rate things in the future. :)

It was a good solid read but in the end it just didn't do a lot for me. I gave it an average. How Bashir and Douglas are able to get around the Breen planet with out being detected and how Ezri gets out of the ambush just seemed a bit convenient. Aside from the dissident I just didn't feel the sense of danger for the characters I felt in his A Time to... books.

In looking over Mack's bibliography, I've read it all, this one rates below most of it. But that means it's still "average" which is what I rated it.

One of the more interesting sentences I read though was in bio page: "His upcoming novels include The Mirror Universe Epic Rise Like Lions and a new original supernatural thriller"

Is that second book a sequel to The Calling or is it another type of supernatural book?

David Mack is one of my top 3 ST writers and I'm looking forward to any new books, it's just that this one didn't hit my buttons.

11. Kosst Amojan

Kosst Amojan Ensign Newbie

Hmm, just finished reading it on my Nook. Excellent novel.

To start off though this story takes place what, five or six years after The Soul Key…I’m so confused it’s not even funny. I know DS9 was a bit behind the time but I’m reading the early chapters on the station wondering “When the hell did all this happen???”

On the other hand, I LOVE what was done with the Breen! Another page flushing out their history would have been nice but whats there ties in very nicely with what we already know.

Visiting Bacco again was nice but seeing how it worked from the other side (Typhon Pack) was better. I always figured they hated each other only slightly less than Federation. And speaking of Nan, does she have a similar council with Donatra, Rom, and Martok?

And finally, I also liked the Cold War politics of it all. With all the plausible deniability threads tying up at the end, how the final confrontation ended couldn’t have been much better.

12. David Brennon

David Brennon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yet another winner by Mack!

13. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thoroughly enjoyed finally getting an answer to the huge question mark of who and what the Breen are.

I found the epilogue rather disturbing, though. Never did care for the organization Sarina was revealed to be with (nor with the questions that revelation raised about her sincerity).

14. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Many. many moons ago, I read a short story set in a society where everyone was forced to wear masks to hide their looks, weights to negate any physical advantages, and brain implants that would prevent the smarter members from out-thinking anyone else. Needless to say, Dave's depiction of the Breen reminded me of that old tale, and I'm wondering if anyone else might recognize it?

15. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

My local Barnes and Noble had it on shelves in mid October...

16. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

Google's 3rd result: Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut exactly fits your description.

17. William Leisner

Sweet, thanks! :bolian:

18. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ I actually cited that story, along with Orwell's 1984, as one of the key inspirations for Zero Sum Game on the StarTrek.com forums a few days ago.

19. William Leisner

Obviously, I'm just not reading the right fora...

20. T'deD'Edkeid'Ende'Dejdid

T'deD'Edkeid'Ende'Dejdid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought it was a great book. I loved the Breen and wish the storyline would've contained a bit more on their history, especially how they convince races to "assimilate" into the group.