TOS: The Folded World by Jeff Mariotte Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Apr 20, 2013.

?

Rate The Folded World.

1. Outstanding

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Above Average

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. Average

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Below Average

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Poor

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Granted, "away team" was used a couple of times in Enterprise, so it theoretically could've been used in the TOS era. But it does feel kind of anachronistic when it's used.

2. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Away team may have appeared in Enterprise partially due to TNG-VOY people involved in the show.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm only about 80 pages in, but its a hard read. I'm just not really enjoying it at all. The whole story is just not very good, and the original characters are boring me. I'll give it a bit more, but I'll probably end up not finishing this one.

4. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't enjoy it. The ending was abrupt. Many things were left un-answered. A good chunk of the middle made no sense--maybe by design, given the environment the characters were in. Some characters spoke almost too casually at times - for some reason I can't even imagine Spock saying something like "So I apologized, believing I had not seen somebody" or Kirk, trying to distract an enemy by saying "Hey, you guys! Up here!". Maybe it's just me.

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I finsihed it, and it wasn't very good. some of the characters felt off, and the book specific characters (specifically, the starfleet ones) were just uninteresting. This was a pretty lame book.

6. JWD75

JWD75 Commander Red Shirt

This was the first book in a very long time that I couldn't finish. Nice cover though.

7. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

If you assume the name characters got out just fine then that's how it ended anyway.

8. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

All I can say is I have read better fan fic than this. Money and time I will never get back.

9. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

If I were proofreading the manuscript, I would have noticed the anachronistic use of "away team" and notified the author immediately. Nitpicking is my job!

10. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For all its already-noted faults (and I might add that Kirk coming from IOWA, not IDAHO [an error of over 1000 miles], is canonical ["I'm from Iowa; I just work in outer space," from The Voyage Home], and Winnona Kirk being a farmer, not a career Starfleet officer is generally agreed in non-canonical sources, and strongly suggested in canon), it went rather quickly, mostly on the train ride home from my Spring vacation.

11. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just a quick note, the Idaho reference comes from Star Trek: Generations, in which Kirk mentions that he spent a lot of time on his "uncle's farm in Idaho." He doesn't say that he "comes from" Idaho at any point.

12. hbquikcomjamesl

Hmm. Must have completely forgotten that whole reference to Idaho in Generations. I still can't place it.

13. Christopher

I've always wondered if the "uncle's farm in Idaho" line was a misspeak/script typo for "Iowa." But since it was his uncle's farm, not his parents', that makes it justifiable.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have we ever gotten a definitive answer about whether or not she was a crew member on the Kelvin? I'll admit, I had kind assumed she was, but I guess she could have just been visiting the ship when it was attacked.

15. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

link

16. hbquikcomjamesl

1. Writers' comments are not canon.
    2. Being in Starfleet does not mean one is career Starfleet. My father served a hitch in the Marines, long before I was born, but at the end of the one tour, he took his honorable discharge (as a full corporal) and returned to civilian life.
    3. Winona Kirk, in either timeline, left Starfleet to raise Sam and Jim. In the Novelverse, "Geordie" Kirk took an assignment as chief of security on Starbase 2, and exchanged letters with Jim; in the Abramsverse, he died about the same time Jim was born, and Winona may or may not have remarried.

17. Christopher

In the '80s novelverse, which is a distinct continuity from the current one. Final Frontier was based on the timeline of the Spaceflight Chronology which put TOS in the first decade of the 23rd century rather than the 2260s. So it doesn't fit into the Trek universe as we know it today, for that and many other reasons. Such as that George is a redhead in the novel and brown-haired in the movie.

So we really don't know a thing about George Kirk in the modern continuity except what the movie established.

18. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. hbquikcomjamesl

Christopher: We do know, strictly from the most canonical source possible (a first-season TOS episode) that in the prime timeline, Kirk took command of the Enterprise over a decade after the ship visited Talos IV under Pike's command. We also know, from a source that has regained limited canon status (a TAS episode) that Robert April was the first captain of the Enterprise, again in the prime timeline. So in the prime timeline, it was hardly fresh out of the shipyard when Kirk took command. And we also know that in the Abramsverse, James T. Kirk grows up near Riverside, Iowa, and the Abramsverse Enterprise is also built (as in fully assembled) there (as opposed to the prime Enterprise, which was assembled in orbit from modules built in San Francisco). And while it's been a few years since I last read Carey's "Captain April" novels, I remember them well, and don't recall any major conflicts with present canon or novel continuity.

And Rob, while I, too, found the story compelling, I did also find it a minefield of continuity goofs and out-of-character actions and utterances that were enough to knock it down, for me, from "Outstanding" to "Above Average."

20. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Other than the away team vs. landing/boarding party reference which somewhat tweaked my sensibilities at first, nothing else really stood out.

What continuity goofs or out-of-carachter actions/utterances?

Rob+