TOS-Remastered: a waste of time

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by F. King Daniel, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, i think all the remastered effects are fantastic......see what i did there.;)

2. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

No, I can't see it, what you did is too dated for modern bbs readers to understand, why not have a computer generate your next post to 'remaster' your text into something sufficiently cartoony to be compelling reading for the next generation.

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Okay, so what's stopping you from watching the remastered episodes with the original FX on blu-ray? If it's that you don't have a blu-ray player, well... sorry, I'm not buying you one.

4. Haggis and tatties

^^When you think of it this whole thread is a "waste of time", every version is availble for everybody, people who dont like the remastered versions will or can have the original versions on DVD, the BR HD release has made it so anybody can pick what version of TOS they want to watch.

Its complaining for the sake of complaining, its not like the original version have been replaced, people who don't want to watch the remastered versions are not going to go out on buy them now are they, so i fail to see whats to complain about.

5. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I have BR player, but I also spent $600 buying the entire series in its first DVD release (having also bought it in VHS, and some even in Beta before that), and I'm really sick of having to rebuy everything I like every time some schmuck develops a new video format.

6. WHF

WHF Captain Captain

Every original series DVD, including the very first single disc releases, are remastered.

7. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Just creating this option done with -R is something I find worthwhile to complain about. I don't want 'real' Vegas matted into backgrounds of ONE FROM THE HEART (which CHOSE to use miniatures for BGS), anymore than I want ultracrisp new RP plates for CASABLANCA's driving scenes.

While I can see the failing in MAN WITH THE X-RAY EYES' visual effects, I don't see any value in just switching them out for fancier but cartoony equivalents ... I COULD see remaking that movie though, because it is something that could be retold in a more interesting way than it was the first time.

But if the thread IS a waste of time, then somebody should close it.

8. Haggis and tatties

Paramount released TOS non remastered in 2004 on 3 DVD box set that you can still buy, and i have them, they are not remastered versions, the cage on disc 7 is still a mix of coulor/black white just like the old cic videos. [​IMG][​IMG]

The point being you dont have to watch TOS remastered versions and im sure nobody is forcing you to do so, so go and watch TOS as it was originally made, if you dont already own them on some format you can still buy them, so there you go, all sorted.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really don't hate everything. I just think that if they were going to re-do the effects (which was unnecessary), they should have gone all-out and done it properly.

Say what you will about the redone effects in Star Wars (no version of SW works for me), but they at least went all the way with the new CG.

10. frankchester

frankchester Ensign Newbie

I've been considering buying these boxsets (because at the moment all I own of TOS is some very old videos and we don't even have a VHS player anymore! I have to record all the series on CBS Action of Sci-fi channel!) But to be honest I'm not so sure I'd like a 'remastered' version, I'd rather watch it as it was intended to be watched!

So this begs the question, is it possible to buy a non-remastered version anymore? I can't seem to find any on Amazon!

11. thew40

thew40 Commander Red Shirt

I've been watching the remastered version and I love it. As much as the old effects were fun, these are more likely not to turn away a non-Trek fan. Ultimately, though, the special effects have always been more of a side thing for Star Trek. It's the story that matters.

12. Haggis and tatties

Amazon has box set season 3 DVD for £48, plus there a plenty of ebay selllers selling these 2004 release box sets new and play.com has them as well.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Blu-Ray includes the original version.

14. KingstonTrekker

KingstonTrekker Commander Red Shirt

I personally love TOS-R. It was exciting to watch the episodes for the first time and to see all of the new effects. There were some disappointments (I wish that close-up ship damage and better ship-to-ship combat shots had been shown in The Ultimate Computer) but also some amazing successes (such as The Doomsday Machine.)

Thank you to the makers of TOS-R. Ignore the comments of the "armchair special effects experts" who are posting here :)

15. frankchester

frankchester Ensign Newbie

Thanks for the tips. I just feel paying almost double for the non-remastered version kinda bugs me. Surely the older DVDs should be cheaper! They've also started playing the remastered versions on TV which is irritating although I still have several DVDs recorded of the normal version luckily, would just be nice to own the complete series officially.

16. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, a little something that's continually being missed.

The big difference in this case is that they've been remastered in high definition, and they've had new CGI effects added, WHICH IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MATTER!

You'd think this group would be a little more technically savvy...

17. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

You'd also think this group would be less tonedeaf to the fact that the HD masters also include the original effects on the BR release. I am watching it as we speak.

18. Haggis and tatties

^^^^Hey, i have made space on this wall for you to bang your head on.:lol:

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

As an amateur filmmaker who worked in 16mm and super8, I have done hundreds of effects shots, all in-camera, some quite successful.

As a professional writer covering the fields of visual effects and cinematography for 19 years (including 4 of the TREK movies), I think I have a faint idea of what I'm talking about.

If you choose to disagree, fine, but don't try to undercut the opinion of others by lowballing their tastes/talents when you don't know their creds.

20. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Since you refuse to give any examples of anything you've done, no one really knows your "creds" either.

Either way, it is obvious to anyone with a working pair of eyes what looks good in HD and what doesn't. At the end of the day, everyone is going to have an "opinion" about it, whether they know what it is they're talking about or not.

Since both versions are available on Blu-ray, this discussion is pretty much rendered academic.