Tor.com's 10 Reasons to Read a Star Trek Novel

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Dec 28, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tor has some more Trek Lit related stuff on their page today. This time it's a list of 10 reasons to read a Trek novel. It's kind of a fun little look at Trek Lit, but once again the writer has focused on TOS book from the '70s - '90s with no real mention of the content of current books, or any of the other series.

I understand that this stuff is being done by one person who is apparently only familiar with that era of TrekLit, but it would still be nice if they acknowledged that TrekLit is still coming out and featuring some great content.

2. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^Agreed, Trek lit is the best it has ever been and the current authors could use some recognition. Don't get me wrong some of the older books are great, I just don't think many are on par with todays authors.

3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

And why does that person only concentrate on the TOS crew? (I get the "Into Darkness" angle, but really? TOS only?)

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

So, where should we start? What is the best standalone TOS novel ever published?

6. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

The best book to ever come out as a Star Trek book is far and away "The Final Reflection".

But that's not really strictly speaking a TOS novel(as it doesn't heavily feature the TOS crew). As for one that does, that's rather harder. I'd probably go with "Doctor's Orders", although there's a lot of competition. "Memory Prime", "Spock's World", "First Frontier", "Time for Yesterday", and a few others are all contenders for me.

7. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

Well . . . since the question contained 'stand alone', that'll preclude Yesterday's Son - and Time For Yesterday, unfortunately. In my mind, they're the best. But Spock's World makes a fine consulation.

8. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Funny thing - I read Time For Yesterday before I'd read Yesterday's Son, and before I'd even seen All Our Yesterdays!

9. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Well, limiting myself to standalone TOS novels, I'd have to nominate The Wounded Sky.

10. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you very much for the suggestions! Anyone else want to chime in?

11. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ive always had a fondness for Barbara Hambly's "Ishmael" :)