J., I was faced with this decision last year. My elderly cocker spaniel was deaf and blind, but otherwise healthy for a long time...and the vet told me that as long as she had me and my other dog to keep her company and was well looked after, petted, and part of the family,she was good. However, last August she started to get sick and after about 2 days of diarrhea, I took her in to the vet. Bottom line - I let the vet make the decision. I trust my vet, and told him that I believed he knew what was best for the dog...and he said that he thought it 'was time'. I accepted that decision and we put her down that day, with me and my other dog right next to her, up against her so she would know we were with her. I know how difficult these decisions can be - if it had been up to me, I'd have wanted the dog to live forever. But if you have a vet that you really trust, like I did, it can really help you do the right thing. I just decided to relinquish the decision to him - he knows better than I do what dogs are really going through, their probable pain levels, etc....and I felt like his educated decision was the best thing for Annabelle. Not sure if that helps...and I really hope your dog is okay. But in my case, it really helped that I had a vet I really trusted.