Spoilers TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic by McIntee Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, Mar 22, 2011.

?

Rate Indistinguishable From Magic

1. Outstanding

51 vote(s)
    28.5%
  2. Above Average

69 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Average

27 vote(s)
    15.1%
  4. Below Average

16 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. Poor

16 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Re: Star Trek: TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic Review Thread

Honestly... it was a year ago that I wrote that bit and now I don't remember! Might be. I vaguely remember looking for all the technical specs that existed for the NX Class and it might be from something on that - Drex Files or something, maybe.

2. OverlordSpock

OverlordSpock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I finished the book up yesterday and rated it "Above Average". To be honest, I probably would have rated it "Average" but for one major point.

First, I enjoyed seeing Geordi get some development, as others have said. I also enjoy seeing what's going on in other corners of the TrekVerse besides just the Enterprise and other show settings.

Qat was a wonderful character and I very definitely insist that we see more of her in the future. The chief engineer was an interesting character, and I loved the way he spoke, but I think too much of him would be a bad thing.

The problems, however, were many.

As others have mentioned (and David has responded to), there was way too much small universe syndrome here and it really stretched credulity for me. I enjoyed seeing the characters, but I just couldn't stop thinking "Yeah, right" about their appearances.

The flow of the book was way too abrupt. There were way too many really short scenes. The book just seemed like it was wildly swinging back and forth between different characters and/or situations. There were aspects of the book that just weren't dealt with in an in-depth enough way. I like my TrekLit to be deeper.

Although I get why this is, there was a lot more technobabble than I really like. Especially in the second half, it made the book difficult to read as I tried to figure out what the characters were saying.

Lastly,
    I was very disappointed by how quickly Geordi's love interest from Paths of Disharmony was shoved off to the side to make room for Leah. Yes, I know that Leah is the one that Geordi has always pined after, and the whole Genesis Wave thing, but Paths of Disharmony seemed to be trying to start take Geordi's love life in a different direction. Now, in the very next book, we're told "Never Mind!" I just have trouble seeing Geordi being that shallow. Maybe he just realized that it wasn't going to work with the other girl, but still...

That all being said, this book ended up ranking as an "Above Average" because dang if this wasn't one of the most fun books I've read in ages. David, you made me smile a lot because, despite the problems, I was having FUN reading it. Yes, other books have been fun and enjoyable, but they weren't necessarily FUN. I commend you!

3. Lonemagpie

Fun's my aim in things like this... You thought it was fun, my job here is done!

Sure the scene transitions are quick and brutal, cos I'm trying to capture a TV-cutting feel to it. (yes, they're different media, but that makes it a fun challenge for me. Next time I'd do something different, cos I know you'd all be expecting this style now!)

I'm glad you liked Kat as well, she was fun to do. I know what you mean about Vol - basically he's there because there things I wanted to do with the species that didn't make it into Reservoir Ferengi. So now I've done it, and I've no plans to pitch anything bringing him back, though I'd be happy for anybody else to do so. Kat on the other hand, I'd love to do more with. (she is, after all, meant to be Kang's granddaughter)

As for the relationship bit... Well, we knew she's in his future from All Good Things, so...

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Of course Scotty's not dead. He still has to cut the ribbon at the Montgomery Scott Engineering Sciences Building at Starfleet Academy on his 200th birthday in 2422 as per Engines of Destiny. That's the future I'm believing in at any rate. ;)

5. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

It will be some other author's story to tell of his reappearance?

6. Lonemagpie

Not necessarily. Maybe I'll do it, maybe someone else will do it, maybe nobody will do it...

7. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I read this last night at work. Voted Outstanding. :) It was my favorite Star Trek novel since Full Circle. Loved the pacing (as other's have mentioned), the balance between new and "familiar" characters, etc. It really felt like a couple TNG episodes which was very refreshing.

I can't help but feel that the TNG line is slowly "winding down" (especially if they follow the 'Countdown' comics). It's 2383 and what else is there to do with these characters before the realistically move on?

8. JonoKyle

JonoKyle Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have just finished reading it and I think it was outstanding - it was a shame it was compressed into the one book however I still really enjoyed it. :bolian:

I really the crew - and really hope they are reunited one day, maybe even as a re-launch of the 'Corps of Engineers' series. :drool:

9. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd love for the Corps of Engineers to step forward and take a staring role in the future of the Treklitverse.

10. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Finished it today. At first didn't like the assemblage of all the known characters on the Challenger but the really got into it, and loved it. Felt like the old-school Trek books which were about adventures and exploration and was a nice break from the more recent stuff like the Typhon Pact.

IIRC there was reference to damage being caused the size of Belgium, or something like that. A Who reference?

11. Lonemagpie

Not consciously - a Hitchhikers reference (though to be fair I guess Moffat was also doing a Hitchhikers reference with it), but I'll grant you there's enough DW lines bouncing around in my head that some are bound to come out even when not intended! (the same goes for the EMH getting a "very very not good" to say, left over from when he was going to be the Mark XI)

There's only one deliberate veiled DW reference in the text and so far nobody's noticed it...

ETA- I love that cat avatar...

12. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

^Thanks. Salem rules!

13. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

About midway through and loving it. Will probably finish it up on a long series of flights Saturday night/Sunday morning from Salt Lake City to Sint Maarten. Looking forward to reading the rest!

14. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Astronomy question: When you referred to "G-231", did you actually intend to refer to "Gliese 231"(AKA Alpha Mensae)? I've seen the "G" prefix applied to stars listed in both the Gliess(-Jahreiss) and Giclas catalogues over the years, so there's a possibility of confusion there.

15. Lonemagpie

I don't recall what led me to pick that designation, so I'm not really sure. (it's been a year!)

16. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm.

*nods*

Noting that Pi Mensae seems to fall into (above? below?) Romulan turf per the Star Charts maps...so if you did have Alpha Mensae in mind at first for the stuff that kicks off the story, that would have made a certain amount of map-sense...

17. j3067

j3067 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I finished the book over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. I rated the book Outstanding. The previous posts from the author cover the minor bones I had to pick with the story.

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

This book didn't work too well for me (a lot of the reasons having been covered in this thread), but I have to say that I loved the Life on Mars reference. I felt a bit obtuse at first because I could feel something was being referred to. I immediately shook off "Dylan Hunt" but then I saw the Manchester and Nelson references and I thought "Duh...brilliant! :lol:" From there out, Tyler Hunt was John Simm in my mind. Pity he didn't survive, especially since I thought there was something more than meet's the eye about him.

I also enjoyed the Doctor Who references (Gallifrey as one of the publisher locations and another that I've now forgotten because its been a few weeks since I've read the book).

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not having seen the UK Life on Mars, I missed that. I actually "cast" David Tennant in the part in my head.

20. Lonemagpie

I do tend to "cast" my books, and, yes, Tyler Hunt is supposed to be played by John Simm. Sadly there wasn't a role for Philip Glenister - that'll have to wait for another time, I guess.