Thor 2 -Movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aldo, May 6, 2012.

1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Release Date: November 15th, 2013.

So Avengers has come, we saw how Marvel was successful in what they set out to do, now we can look forward to the next batch of Marvel films. The one I'm most looking forward to is Thor 2. Scouring the net I came across two neat nuggets of info I hadn't heard yet:

From Kevin Feige:

And this bit of info from Chris Hemsworth:

Both of those quotes, btw are taken from http://lightscamerareaction.co.uk/marvel-movie-updates/

I love that Feige acknowledges that in the first movie Thor and Jane only really interacted for 3 days. A complaint I remember reading from many people feeling that the romance wasn't really that...and now we see that it wasn't.

And what we can gleam from Hemsworth is that this film is going to be set in Asgard mainly, which I don't have a problem with. I can see why in the first film you ground the movie somewhat in reality by making it take place on Earth. But now that Avengers have shown us Aliens and people are ok with that, a movie set primarily in Asgard can be really good, I'm thinking.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Re: Thor 2 discussion thread.

I assume that Jane will finally find a way to open a wormhole to Asgard and that she'll walk into the middle of some sort of Asgardian crisis. Probably a full-on Thor/Jane romance will take place in the backdrop of the conflict.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Have to say I'm kinda bummed to hear this. I know most fans loved the Asgard stuff in the first movie, but for me it was all a bit too dull and portentious. And more like a scifi costume drama than a superhero movie.

The scenes on Earth were FAR more fun and engaging, I thought, and that's where I was hoping most of the sequel was gonna be set. Watching him interact with our world is a whole lot more interesting than watching him simply fight more CG aliens on another CG alien planet.

4. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I take your point but it depends on the focus of the story. Jane Foster in Asgard? Which it would have to be if they are exploring the relationship, and the location is primarily there. This becomes the journey of mortal in the realm of immortals, and it is a very different tale than the first, kind of a mirror to it. the potential is there for a very, very good story.

5. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Forget Jane Foster. Sif! Sif! Sif!

6. Admiral James Kirk

No way! Sif's mine! :D

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I agree, also I'm interested in them (potentially) going this route because I really enjoy watching fantasy flicks. If you want a "superhero movie" Marvel is also putting out Iron Man and Captain America sequels. It's kind of nice that it seems Thor 2 is daring to do something different.

8. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I liked the Asgard stuff from the first movie. I love science fiction and I love superhero movies so for me it is a win-win situation. I am torn between which Marvel movie I liked so far and its down between Iron Man 1 and Thor (haven't seen Avengers yet). I am really looking forward to the sequel to Thor and I think a movie set in Asgard opens up more exciting potential plot development and story lines.

9. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I much preferred the Asgard portions of Thor. I hope somehow Kat Dennings' character makes her way to Asgard as well.

10. Admiral James Kirk

Wasn't there a storyline in the comics where Thor brings Jane to Asgard, and Odin makes her immortal and puts her through a series of tests to prove her worthiness as Thor's mate?

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I doubt it seeing as she'll be busy filming the second season of 2 Broke Girls. Unless they can nab her for a small cameo.

She wasn't exactly that important to the first film anyways.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I thought it was Iron Man 3 in 2013 and Thor 2 in 2014? I'd love both the same year but not what I'd heard.

Asgard was a beautiful world and there are plenty of things to explore during the movie. Dealing with the loss of the Bifrost, Odin and Thor's time together post Thor 1, Loki's trial, Jane making her way to them and seeing more of their day to day life through her eyes etc

And as another article aluded to, Thor making his way to some of the other realms trying to assure peace and an Asgardian presence with other less friendly realms reacting to the Asgard's weakness, and Earth's sudden appearance on the galatic warfield.

13. Admiral James Kirk

If I recall, Thor 2 will be out for Thanksgiving 2013. I think it shoots later this summer.

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Thanks, the only thing I'd heard was a rumour of spring 2014 some weeks back.

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Heck it's even got a release date: November 15, 2013.

I also updated my first post to add the release date.

16. Admiral James Kirk

They pushed it to November to avoid competition with The Lone Ranger. Thor fears no Frost Giants or Chitauri but he runs, scared shitless from the box office power of Johnny Depp. ;)

17. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Does this movie have a director yet? I had heard that Branaugh was not going to be back.

18. Admiral James Kirk

Alan Taylor will direct Thor 2.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  19. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Cobie Smulders got away from her CBS comedy to film The Avengers and Jason Segal has found time to write and star in movies while still acting on How I Met Your Mother, so I'm sure Dennings could find the time if they needed her.

Not real important though, as I'm sure the movie will do just fine without her.

20. 46379.1

46379.1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

But Hemsworth mentioned that filming will begin in August, and that's when they usually start filming new episodes for a September premiere. Avengers began filming an April when it's over and Segel shoots his movies during the summer months.

But I agree, she's not important, I actually found her character annoying in the movie.