Thinking outside the box

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Dr. Bashirs protege, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Dr. Bashirs protege

Dr. Bashirs protege Commander Red Shirt

Hello all, even though I am new to this forum there's a topic I wanted to put to all of my fellow Trekkies. As I have been browsing the threads and posting occasionally, I feel (at least in my mind) that many people are still expecting the aesthetics to adhere largely to what we had in the sixties and more specifically"The cage" due to the time period in question. I am here to say that this is probably not the case. I humbly present to you two exhibits of evidence. The very first piece the "The Munsters" and it's reimagining by Bryan Fuller "Mockingbird Lane". As you can see in the picture at the link below the two shows look VERY different. Although adhering to the spirit of the Munsters he has updated it for modern sensibilities. As much we may like to look back on TOS with fondness, that is not a look that can be carried over wholesale. Even the changes he will make I feel will be more drastic than many expect. What I most want to put forward though is exhibit B, from his very own mouth. What I find most telling is that he is reimagining the very look of certain species, something that to the Canon of star trek should be the single most imuttible thing (Klingons not with standing). If he is reimagining entire species then is their anything that really will go unchanged? If you can play with a species anything is fair game.

Fuller has said this show will be different yet distinctly star trek, it will keep the spirit. Some have taken this to mean the series will change but NOT that much. Okay so let's look to the past of this venerable franchise. Compare the TOS uniforms to Nicholas Meyer uniforms, you cant get more differently aesthetically than that.But the best evidence I submit is gene Roddenberry's very own reimagining of TOS into TNG, It was so drastic at the time that I'm sure people are aware of the "Not my captain" slogan. That seems rather silly now, doesn't it? Fuller is as much of a star trek fan as any of us here. He is well aware of the drastic aesthetic and character transformations the show has gone through in the past . You can keep the feel and spirit of something without being boxed in. Nicholas Meyer wasn't, gene Roddenberry wasn't, and neither will Bryan Fuller.

Exhibit A
    http://cdn2us.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeekus/files/mockingbirdlane.jpg

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mockingbird_Lane

Exhibit B
    NOTE: Before anyone says "look at how dated the Munsters look, of course it needed drastic changes". That's how silly the original series looks like to non star trek fans.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Kevin Wolff likes this.
  2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

And yet the aesthetic had changed from TOS...barely at all.

3. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

This is exactly what I think. Also that Mockingbird Lane promo photo barely does justice to how incredible that pilot looked. Making the Munsters "real" and making more sense beyond the tongue-in-cheek stereotype behavior was an unexpected treat. Having Marilyn act as their liason to the real world where at the same time Grandpa telling Marilyn she doesn't belong and should leave. And Lily's spider silk dress was a nice touch. Not to mention the body count.