There's a new map of the BSG star system...

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Wereghost, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Frontman

Frontman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well if they did they came very fast from the scratch to pre roman, roman, medieval ages... colonizing 12 planets, discovering FTL, making robots in what it seems less then 2000 years. I mean that's time well spent.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

I would assume they arrived at the Colonies with at least basic industrial knowledge, but it would've taken some time (centuries?) to build up enough infrastructure to have a "modern" society.

3. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

The exodus from Kobol must of been pretty large as well. It's taken humanity 10s of 1000s of years to reach a population of 6 billion so either colonials bread like rabbits or they have a large population base to start the colonies with.

4. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Well, I did the geek and tallied the populations of each colony; there's around 29 billion humans.

So the figure in the Resistence webisodes (20 billion) and later in season four (50 billion) don't add up, unless there's 20 billion humans floating around on those smaller moons... :)

5. Mysterion

Mysterion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[Picard] There...are...FOUR STARS! [/Picard]

Aw, c'mon, someone had to...

6. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Look at those population numbers. I never put it together or thought about it I guess. Billions and billions died. Yow.

7. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup. They went from a population of 50 billion to 50,000 in the span of a day or so.

8. SD70ACe

SD70ACe Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And then those 50k croaked over a generation or two. :(

9. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

There's seven billion of us now, though, so I'm guessing the survivors did okay. ;)

10. yenny

yenny Captain Captain

I think the 12 colonies of Kobol main stars were part of a star cluster, like the Pleiades.
    I think the twelve colonies were being colonize about around the time the thirteen colony left for Cylon Earth. I don't think they were terraform at all, but were natural form planets.

I believe they were being mainly use for farming and mining only. Ships from Kobol made routine visits to the colonies almost every week, dropping off supplies that were made on Kobol and loading up on agriculture and mineral product to take back to Kobol itself.

But one day ships from Kobol had stop coming, No one know why they had stop coming. With no ships on hand, they couldn't contact the other colonies, leaving them to fend for themself.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  11. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

No. Pythia states that Kobol suffered a catastrophic Great Flood that wiped out much of their civilization, resulting in the exodus on the Galleon. They were in a similar situation to the rag tag fleet, only they had just one ship. They discovered the 12 worlds by chance (or God/the gods led them there) and started afresh.

12. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

^There may have been a fleet that left Kobol. Adama says ships, plural, when he tells the story above the devastated Earth. The Galleon could've been that fleet's Galactica.

13. yenny

yenny Captain Captain

I don't agree, the Pythia I believe was written sometime after connect with Kobol was lost. If they had left Kobol with a fleet spaceships, they would had settle on the first planet they had arrive at and then settle the other 11 later.

But if they were already colonies of Kobol sometime before the thirteen tribe had left Kobol. They would receive the same news.

Anyway, If you follow what was written it the Pytian. Then the Twelve Colonies Kobol should had been call the twelve worlds of Kobol. A colony are settlers in a new country that remain subjects to a mother country.

14. David cgc

They did. Serge's twitter, as well as the very map we're talking about, mentions that several of the colonies were settled by other, older colonies. IIRC, Aquarion was settled only in the last hundred years or so.

I always intended to confirm that that meant that the names of the twelve colonies was an affectation, and a Gememenese or Tauron in the present day had essentially no chance of being decended from the Gemini or Taurus tribes on Kobol, but I couldn't figure out how to ask it in less than 144 letters.

15. yenny

yenny Captain Captain

The Pytian also give a warning. Stating that blood will be spill if any of them return back to Kobol. Which would mean that there were still was a civilization and a ruling government on Kobol at the time the colonies were founded. I do believe the government on Kobol was a dictatorship type government on Kobol during that time.

Maybe he a member of facebook or myspace? You could ask him if he were a member of one those sites and then you could go to one of them and ask him your questions. If he not member of those sites? Ask him if he want to join trek bbs?

16. Candlelight

Aquaria.

(Depending on which part of the map you read. Despite that, The Hybrid in 'The Plan' says Aquaria, as does Roslin in 'Colonial Day').

17. David cgc

Oh, but you didn't catch my butchering of "Gemenese?" :p

18. yenny

yenny Captain Captain

Actually I don't think they were call Taurons, Gemenese, Capricons on Kobol, they may had been call something similar, but I don't think so. I believe that their name come from a single person, actually thirteen persons. Terra, Caprica, Tauran, Gemenan and so forth. It more likely that the thirteen planets weren't name after tribes, but were name after leaders who lead the colonies to their new home.

19. Candlelight

There was only one tribe that left Kobol. They splintered into twelve when they arrived at the Cyrannus star system. The Scrolls of Pythia then retroactively made history seem there were always twelve tribes.

20. Candlelight

Just figured it as an honest typo. :D