There must be a second Earth...

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by m01ety, Jan 17, 2009.

1. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

I really dont think that this is "our" earth. Every time they show the planet they are very careful about NOT showing any recognizable land masses or our moon. Thats gotta count for something. If the writers wanted us to just give in to the fact that yes this is our Earth then all they had to do was show us 1 stinking recognizable thing. And they havent done that...

2. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

OMFG people died on Kobol. People also died once they reached Earth. A LOT of people died on New Caprica. That scripture isn't worth the paper it was printed on. They ought to head back to Kobol, scripture be damned. Scripture is what damned them from the beginning. Just my opinion :)

3. USS Gettysburg

USS Gettysburg Captain Captain

One more time fellas. Listen to the podcast. Lawl. Ron Moore says that Anders wrote the song in nuBSG world. Then as stated above Bear's blog says that this isn't meant to be a song that Bob Dylan wrote. THE CREATORS TELL US THIS STUFF. They provide all these different outlets to tell us it is not Bob Dylan's song in this case. THEY SAY ANDERS WROTE IT. ANDERS SANG IT. Listen to the podcast, it makes for well informed fans. :rolleyes:

So obviously I listened. I listened to everything a fan is supposed to listen to and what they are supposed to read. This argument has been moot for sometime.

4. USS Gettysburg

USS Gettysburg Captain Captain

Dang. I knew that my Disney trivia knowledge sucked. Me = FAIL.

5. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

I only go by the show itself. I really dont even care if the producer says so. If he wanted it to be a fact then he'd have made the characters say that he wrote it. Its very easy for a producer to lie or throw out misinformation in a podcast. If Anders wrote it then they would say so in the show. Thats cannon...

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

Because it doesn't matter whether it's "ours" or not. This story isn't about us. It's just Earth. That's all you need to know.

7. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I think this is one key reason they used a real song for the wake up call. It clearly identifies this as our Earth and it must be in our future. It confirms all of that without having to go into more detail, exploration to prove that it's our Earth and the timeframe. They pretty much get to skip over that which isn't really BSG's thing. We, the audience, know definitively.

Mr Awe

8. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Yet a second theory that I could very well see being true. Good guess.

Though, if everything is cyclical... what about this...

Earth is not Earth... KOBOL was Earth, and what we know as Earth, was Kobol.

9. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Captain Captain

It's suspicious that they specifically showed North America in the galaxy-crossing shot at the end of Crossroads Part 2 but have not re-confirmed that since the fleet arrived wherever they arrived. If Cylon Earth isn't our Earth, our Earth is already stated to be there too, otherwise they're pulling a Star Trek TOS "Miri" on us (also described as IICS, inexplicably identical continent syndrome).

I looked at the Crossroads Part 2 Earth for city lights coming from the night side, which would prove there's currently civilization, but the shot is cleverly composed with the terminator off the American west coast so only the Pacific Ocean is seen in shadow. They think of everything!

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Or Hodgkin's Law of Parallel Planetary Development.

11. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Captain Captain

Doesn't cover Identical Geological Formation! ;)

Thank gods there are no forehead aliens on any of the planets.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting. I never thought of it that way. I can't remember, what did Kobol's landmasses look like from space? Did they ever show them?

If Kobol literally is our Earth, that would certainly explain a lot.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  13. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Does this have spoilers in it before I look at the whole thread?

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

^Just through the most current episode. All the other spoilers have been coded, I believe.

15. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Then I won't bother.

16. Raz

Raz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Consider the implications if this current batch of humans were to leave a marker on Earth.. pointing to Caprica. And then they go find a new home. Some time down the road, the bad Cylons show up at the new homeworld and everyone has to split. They go two separate ways - Cylon rebels going one way, humans the other, and end up founding their own 13th (Cylon) and 1-12 (Human) colonies.

In thousands of years both may develop their own pet robots who eventually turn on them... resulting in war.. destruction.. escape.. those survivors would in time find this Earth, with a marker to a distant home.. Caprica.. which, when they arrive, turns out to be nothing more than a radioactive cinder.

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well Caprica I think was in better shape than Earth. Besides being radioactive that is.

18. BolianAuthor

Well, what I mean by that, is that nobody on the 12 Colonies knew what Earth looks like... and the Raptor team that found Kobol at first did not even recognize IT, merely saying they may have found a world that can support Human life... so maybe what the Colonials would know as Earth, was actually Kobol, and what WE call Earth, as in us... the Cylons of the 13th Tribe... is actually Kobol.

After all... Kara DID say that the fleet was going the wrong way. :D

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm confused. A good kind of confused, though. :lol:

So let me just pop this into my mental microwave and see if it defrosts. Feel free to correct me if necessary:

- The planet that we have just seen, in "Sometimes...", is not Earth. It is actually Kobol, the planet where all Colonials are from.

- Conversely, the world in "Kobol's Last Gleaming", the one that *they* all thought was Kobol, is actually Earth. The same Earth that you, and I, and most other TrekBBS members, are standing on right now.

So which came first? ;)

20. BolianAuthor

Yep. :D

Kobol did... the one we saw this last week.