There must be a second Earth...

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by m01ety, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Berg417448

Berg417448 Commander Red Shirt

That's pretty much how they chose to explain the song:

“I happened to catch Ron Moore in the hallway at Universal and, in a brief conversation, got everything I needed to know. I learned that the idea was not that Bob Dylan necessarily exists in the characters' universe, but that an artist on one of the colonies may have recorded a song with the exact same melody and lyrics. Perhaps this unknown performer and Dylan pulled inspiration from a common, ethereal source. Therefore, I was told to make no musical references to any "Earthly" versions, Hendrix, Dylan or any others. The arrangement needed to sound like a pop song that belonged in the Galactica universe, not our own.”

Bear McCreary’s blog

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: :guffaw: That's the funniest thing I've heard all week.

3. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I can.

Ron Moore specifically detailed the reasoning behind using "All Along The Watchtower" in the podcast for that episode. It is very possible that Anders played the song (they never said he *wrote* it specifically) but it is also entirely possible he could have written the song as well and *still* NOT be Bob Dylan or that world's "version" of Bob Dylan.

I was going to save this for you to discover on your own but you probably won't ever bother to listen to any of the podcasts (you should), but that is EXACTLY why it was included. The idea was that in all the ways in which these two civilizations (Caprican and our own) were similar and different, someone somewhere sometime on Caprica wrote a song called "All Along The Watchtower" and it was exactly the same as the one Bob Dylan wrote.

Is it "completely unbelievable" ? Perhaps, but since you don't watch the show, since you don't even *like* the show, I'm not surprised you take this dismissive attitude. This was one of those textural things I mentioned earlier to you that you were "probably" (and now, definitely) missing because you refuse to watch the series.

Oh well.

Keep laughing at yourself. Or, grow the hell up and watch the show before you prance around these threads thinking you know everything, or at the very least dismissing what the rest of us who actually, you know WATCH THE SHOW know to be true.

Sheesh.

Here's the link to the transcript.

Here are the pertinent parts:

Pretty funny stuff alright.

4. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

They may not have been able to come up a good song quick enough. Or his thinking is just that we use actors to portray characters, and props to portray vipers/consoles whatever, why not just use an existing song to portray a song they need in the show.

I'm also thinking that we are going to end up all by related. Orignal humans build cylons, who build skinjobs who evolve get rid of mechanical cyclons and start to think they are human. And later new humans/skinjobs build mechanical helpers and start the cycle all over.

5. USS Gettysburg

USS Gettysburg Captain Captain

I don't know what to say to that but WTF. Ron Moore said that in nuBSGverse Ander's wrote that song. Just because he claims to have written the song that is the exact same as one Bob Dylan wrote it doesn't make him Bob Dylan. If we used that reasoning Disney songs wouldn't make any sense. Ex: So we know that Elton John wrote the 'Can You Feel The Love Tonight.' Yet, OMG, a muskrat and a warthog sang the song, on the whim, in the Lion King universe! Ergo, Elton John is a muskrat.

And btw we have heard Anders sing, he ain't no Bob Dylan.

And to all those making the argument it must be our Earth because it is named Earth... YAY for tautology!!!:shifty:

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps. I still think it's at least *slightly* interesting to have Anders actually be a future incarnation of Dylan, but I admit I have a tendency to connect things that really don't deserve to be connected in the first place. :p

Well, to be fair, Timon and Pumbaa didn't claim to have *written* the song. ;)

I hope there's eventually a way out of that endless loop, though. I like D'Anna's line about how she's staying on Earth - something about getting off this merry-go-round. :techman:

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The way I see it, if a monkey on a typewriter could eventually recreate Shakespeare, there's no reason why there can't be two people who come up with the exact same song. :p

8. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

Meerkat. Elton Jh...err, Timon is a meerkat.

Carry on.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

Obviously, Bob Dylan went back to the future and stole the sheet music from Anders so that he could go back and make his younger self rich.

10. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

You really didnt listen to what they said in the show did you? He said he "PLAYED" that song for them. Not that he wrote it. Those are 2 very different things. Just cause Britney Spears (pronounced) "Britney-Z-Beers" sings a song doesnt mean she wrote it. Think about it like that...

11. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

double post

12. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

It's a bit of a slap in the face to Bob Dylan.

13. Shaka

Shaka Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm also not 100% sure this is Earth, but they did show a big evidence when at least the Orion and Taurus constellations were visible a couple weeks before they arrived at Earth. And since it's orbiting a yellow star and there's not a lot of yellow stars in an area from which the Orion constellation is recognizable, i'd say i'm 95% sure this is our planet. Still, it's a little odd they didn't show it clearly on screen...

14. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or Kobol, for that matter, which seems more hospitable.

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Except that the planet frequently kills people.

16. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

All this this has happened before and will happen again. This phrase is they key to the series and might actually be meant literally. That Cylon skull got me thinking. We have a skull that is similar to older centurions, but not known by these cylons. You have a colonial culture that seems to be heavily influenced by 20/21st century Earth. This could be a major coincidence, but maybe we aren't looking at a reimagining such much as a very distant sequel. There seems to be the notion this happens in cycles. What if the previous BSG was the cycle before this.

Humans live on Kobol, something happens on Kobol (possibly Cylon attack), humans leave for colonies building society more or less causes them to major step back in technology and rebuild society over thousands of years, cylons show up and nuke planet, humans look for Earth develop mutual alliance with humanoid cylons, mechanical cylons find earth, humans move back to Kobol and the cycle starts over again.

17. TheOnes

TheOnes Lieutenant Red Shirt

Doesn't anyone remember that any return to Kobol will be met with bloodshed?

18. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After finding Earth in that condition, the Colonials are less likely to take the scriptures at their word. Even Roslin has taken to book-burning.

19. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well cosidering that every time they went to Kobol someone did die I think they might want to pay attention to that warning.