The X-Files - First Time Watching

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, Dec 14, 2013.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Colony/End Game

The last few episodes have dealt with witchcraft, voodoo, and some other strange stuff that has left me feeling like X-Files was taking a direction to the weird and somewhat creepy. I'm glad I finally got to these episodes, which reminded me there is a bigger picture out there and it was about time they moved forward with the mythological arc.

This episode deals with bringing back Mulder's Sister, in a surprise twist, and also introducing the Bounty Hunter, who I can't wait to see again. That guy was cool, in a T-1000 kind of way (Hey, we have a thread here about liking or disliking Terminator II) and that's who I was thinking about watching this guy. He wasn't creepy like Pfaster or Ms. Paddock, but he is a Villain that the X-Files kind of needs. Everything so far has been about the Government and denying and yeah we have Cancer Man and Krycek, but I've got a feeling the Bounty Hunter only has one agenda.

Also liked that these episodes reminded us of Mulder's Sister and we got to see her. Now the next step is where did she go, and what about all the other clones. Looking forward to seeing where this goes, and it adds quite a bit to the Conspiracy arc from earlier in the season. Also loved the ending scene with Scully sitting at Mulder's Bedside. I've missed those quiet moments (Like from the premiere episode) and it was nice to finally get one here.

2. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Interesting bit of trivia, The actor who played the Bounty Hunter, Brian Thompson, was in the original Terminator movie (although he didn't make it past the Terminator's first appearance in 1984). Of course for a more blatant T2 link, wait till Season 8

3. tomalak301

That's cool. It's been so long since I've seen the Terminator movies (Didn't even see Salvation), so I didn't even recognize him.

4. tomalak301

Humbug

This was one of the most bizarre and wacky episodes of the series I've seen so far and quite amusing. All these characters in this town were just so out there that there were moments when I didn't know what I was watching. You had the guy eating fish, the small guy talking about his size every moment he got, and a pretty great scene in a funhouse. This season feels like X-Files going towards the weird and Bizarre, and I don't think you can get as Bizarre as this episode got.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Wait till you see the episode with Alex Tribeck.

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Brian Thompson (my wife calls him "Jaw Boy") has been in a LOT of genre things, including the very first episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and various Star Treks. The latest thing I saw him in was the lottery commercial where he appears as a giant tough guy who screams like a little girl when he hears how much the lottery prize is.

7. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

He was Hawaii Five-0 a few weeks ago.

8. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

9. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Hahaha he really have a high voice ;)

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

For some reason History's H2 channel in the UK started showing it with a marathon last night... Which is at least a marginally better option than the Living Channel or whatever that started it a couple of months ago - there's only so many times you can sit through a trailer for "Preacher's Daughters".

11. Roddenberry

Roddenberry Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A bit further ahead in my 1st time/re-watch of The X-Files. Just finished season 5 and it's the first season I watched in which more episodes were 1st time watches for me.

12. tomalak301

Can't believe I'm at the end of Season 2. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the season this week but I am busy and it is the Olympics. Might watch some tonight though. Season 1 ended with a bang. Hopefully Season 2 rose the stakes a little bit.

13. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I think the end of Season 2 through the middle of Season 3 is probably my favorite era of the show. In the first five season it was never bad, but to me, this is where it struck the best balance. The Monster-of-the-Week episodes are strong enough to not feel like a lame distraction from the mytharc and the mytharc episodes still have a ton of intrigue, which is something they lost after a while, which in turn came along with it being clear that Chris Carter was really making it up as he went along. You also are coming up on the Darin Morgan episodes ("Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose," "War of the Coprophages" & "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'"). They show that X-Files can do dark comedy as good as any one.

I envy you being able to enjoy this period for the first time.

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Mmm. Doctor Bambi. :adore:

15. tomalak301

Soft Light

This episode had a really interesting premise that reminded me alot of the Doctor Who episode about the Library. However, I'm kind of getting a little frustrated with the whole X thing. Why is Mulder trusting this dude, when it seems like the entire season he's put Mulder through one bad thing after another. I know he has his own agenda and at this point it's unclear what it is, but I'm not sure if he's Helping Mulder or not. However, that scene at the end with him looking at Benton and that haunting score in the background was really creepy in a cool way.

16. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mulder needs an inside man, someone who can pass on information to him, that Mulder wouldn't get otherwise. I doubt it that he trusts Mr X, but X has a better outlook on everything that is happening behind closed doors. So, Mulder needs him.

I was very surprised to see Tony Shalhoub (Monk) in the role of Banton. Funny, how some actors who appeared on the X-Files became famous later on.

17. sojourner

Tony Shalhoub was a regular on Wings. before he did the X Files.

18. selina

Wings got canceled in my country after a few episodes. They moved the show to a pay-tv channel later, but I've never watched it. I was unaware of Shaloub until "Monk". Either way I believe that Adrian Monk is the character he is more famous for.

19. sojourner

He'll always be the stoner engineer from Galaxy Quest to me.

20. selina

Good point :rommie:.