The X-Files - First Time Watching

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, Dec 14, 2013.

1. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, not the whole world. In fact, the "No Romo" contingent was quite vocal in it's disdain as the "Romos", or as they later became known, "'shippers", began to build momentum in the early days of the internet. The scales may have been tipped finally in favor of the shippers, but that didn't happen until the show was nearing the end of the Mulder-Scully era.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  2. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, that's true. I was not very accurate with that statement.

Since the thread starter SJSharksfan39 hasn't seen the episodes yet, maybe you could put spoiler tags around this information? I know, accordings to board rules, you don't have to, but I think it would be nice to do it anyway :).

3. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

No spoilers. My post concerned only what the fans wanted and didn't want.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watched Sleepless tonight and while not the best episode (It was OK, even though I thought Tony Todd whispered way too much), I was intregued by the ending, revealing that Alex Krycek was actually against Mulder. In hindsight, that seems way too obvious, but the way that reveal happened (Talking about separating Mulder and Scully only strengthened their resolve) was really well done.

So I guess Deep Throat II is actually Mr. X. Wish they would give names to some of these characters. Nice to see him so soon after we were first introduced. I thought it would be several episodes before we revisit that plot line.

5. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I couldn't disagree more. For me it was all downhill after a mostly solid first season.

6. tomalak301

Duane Berry/Ascension

Wow, X-files first official two parter episode does not disappoint. We start out with a hostage negotiation and things get bigger and bigger. It actually reminded me of Flask, starting out somewhat small and just growing as the episode goes along.

We got so much added value in both these episodes, but the thing I loved was it was another hit on the conspiracy head on. Quotes like "There is only one policy, deny everything" adds new light to everything and heck, even the theme of policy is running rampent throughout the episodes. Now Scully is gone (To coincide with the maternity leave), Krychek is gone (I wish his arc was a little longer, even though I actually didn't mind his reveal in Sleepless and what he did to the Tram guy afterward, considering there was also that phone call in the Garage before that) and I actually cheered when Skinner said, "There's only one thing I can do, I'm re-opening the X-Files. That's what they fear the most". After that I was like Go Skinner!!!! :D

Anyway, where did Scully go, and that scene with her on the table actually is a little more disturbing than what I should have felt in "The Host".

So far, Season 2 is still carrying that momentum from Season 1 and while the X-Files are reopened, the Status Quo has significantly changed. That probably makes the Season 1 Finale all the better, unlike say the end of the Occupation arc in DS9 where yeah there is a War going on, the things do somewhat get back to normal after Sacrifice of Angels.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Not to spoil anything, but Krycek's arc is far from over. :)

8. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Then don't spoil anything!

BTW, The X-Files has started airing in HD here in Germany, looks awesome.

Here's a comparison pic: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58612

16:9 works pretty good in most scenes, although you notice a lot of empty space primarily on the left side when people are in frame.

9. selina

I liked it when they changed the slogan "The Truth Is Out There" to "Deny Everything" at the end of the opening credits.

Until that moment I was never quite sure where to "place" Skinner. I always thought about him more like one of the bad guys, but then he sided with Mulder. Got me thinking.

Yes, that scene was totally disturbing. They could do God knows what kinds of experiments with Scully.

What's interesting though is, that if Gillian Anderson hadn't been pregnant, the story line would have developed completely differently. So, I'm always a bit amazed how well they build that into the show, and what a major part Scully's abduction became.

It's a difference like day and night. A pity though that I only have an indoor antenna and therefore don't get Pro7 Maxx. Sigh. Guess I have to wait for the Blu Rays.

10. tomalak301

I liked that too. I'm assuming this is the first time the tagline has been changed?

It's always interesting when writers have to write around a pregnancy. I bought up DS9 earlier and I remember how they did it for Visitor and how creative that was. This whole storyline with Anderson and closing the X-Files was well done and I was doing some background stuff and they were saying that they almost wrote her out of the series. I'm glad they didn't but I wonder what kind of show X-Files would have been if they had.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The tagline was changed for the season one finale to "Trust No One."

12. tomalak301

I've been talking about the good, essential episodes of the series, I should probably give some conversation to a bad episode.

I watched "3" tonight. Man this episode was lame. From the bad relationship between Mulder/Kirsten (Something that I didn't find believeable in the slightest) to the whole Vampire plot, I couldn't help but think we went from Scully's abduction to this? I know X-Files wasn't the arc based series we're used to today (Even though it comes really close), but this should have been a character episode for Mulder because the beginning scenes where he is opening the office and the ending scenes where he holds the cross are actually well done. Everything in between is just lame.

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

That Spaced episode might be worse for HD with all the stock footage and discount mission control. I've just started my own first time watch (just watched that one actually) and have been thinking the series as a whole seems like it's really asking for an HD release. I wasn't sure if it was filmed or videotaped.

14. selina

I agree. They found a great way to make Nana Visitors pregnancy part of the storyline too. Real life events can indeed trigger some creative ideas, although it doesn't always work.

They filmed on 35 mm. Seasons 1 - 4 (?) were later cropped to standard 4:3. However, to save same money the effect shots were done in standard video, according to this source here:
    http://tvbeatsmovies.blogspot.de/2012/07/the-x-files-in-hd-and-widescreen.html

I don't know how reliable the source is, but I am very confident that they filmed on 35 mm. A few years ago I bought a 35 mm film cel of the episode "The Erlenmeyer Flask" (season 1) at a convention.
    So, the proof sits on my shelf ;).

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

And then for one episode only to "Deceive Inveigle Obfuscate"

16. tomalak301

One Breath

Unless something really really strong (or awful) happens coming up, this might be the last episode I talk about for at least a few more episodes. I said I wouldn't talk about each and everyone, but it seems like the episodes lately (Duane Berry/Asension and now this one) make up a bit of a trilogy that's hard not to talk about, especially for someone watching the series for the first time like I am.

After this episode ended and we got the ending with Scully suddenly waking up, there was a part of me that wishes I had seen this episode before the Battlestar Galactica (2005) finale. In that episode, we're kind of told about angels and faith and how religion played a strong role in the overall canvas of the series (specifically Starbuck's death and "resurrection") and I got that sense here. This episode was about faith, and holding on to ones beliefs and because of that, it caused a bit of a Deus ex machina ending. In terms of plot, this episode feels like a letdown from everything that came before, but in terms of character, it was top notch.

We got so many great character moments here. We got to see Mulder's vulnerability, especially with Mr. X, we got to see more character development for Mr. X, who almost seems like a rouge agent hitman, and we got some nice moments from Scully's mother. I also liked the symbolism of Scully in the boat, Skinner getting a lot more development (I'd say in the first 8 episodes of the season, Skinner has become a highlight, to which I say well done for finally giving the Assistant Director a backstory) and finally a scene between Mulder and Cancer Man (Everyone calls him Cigarette Smoking Man, yet here he's called Cancer Man. Was that a jab or did they not know at the time what to call him?).

I wouldn't say this episode was average because I did like it, but considering I'm binge watching the show and just saw an amazing two parter and hoping for advancement to Resolution to bring Scully back, this episode was significantly sub par. I will say though it's a shame they didn't just scratch "3" and just taken a week off because that's an episode that really doesn't belong sandwiched between Ascension and One Breath.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I love that episode, personally, but I typically like every episode having to deal with the big story arcs of the show.

They call CSM a few names throughout the show. I think his official behind-the-scenes name was "Cigarette Smoking Man," but that doesn't mean the characters can't call him other things.

I suppose you could look at the credits and see how he's listed.

18. tomalak301

I've watched a few more episodes of X-Files this week, but it really does seem like after the first 6 episodes and One Breath, the show seems to have calmed down a bit. We're back to the monsters of the week episodes and Scully looks good for someone who just gave birth. ;)

Anyway, one of the things I like doing when watching TV shows is point out familiar guest actors that I've seen before. With Babylon 5, I was surprised when actors like Dwight Schultz or Brad Dourif (Who also appeared in X-Files) showed up. Well, this week I saw two episodes in which one had that insane hologram guy from Voyager's Revulsion and the other had the Grandma from Happy Gilmore. The episodes themselves were just ok (I think the best episode I saw this week after One Breath was Red Museum but only because it referred back to The Erlenmeyer Flask. Seeing those two actors appear did make me smile though.

19. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I like the original OP never watched the Series first run. I must say it is a great show. I am on season 3 and loving it. It would be cool to see a new series that re-opens the x-files.

20. tomalak301

Well, there is an episode this season that did gross me out, both physically and psychologically:

Irresistible

My god this episode was creepy as hell. The guy who played Pfaster should have gotten some kind of award for his performance because holy crap everything about him screamed evil. For those who might have forgotten, this episode is about him going after females and excavating their corpses, starting with the Hair. The scenes at the end with Scully were frightening, even though I didn't understand the whole shapeshifting part. Sometimes (And I've noticed it in the last few episodes here) this show has a tendency to really go off the rails when it doesn't really need to. This episode, the guy has Scully, we are glued to the screen already because of how much of a creep this guy is and we are afraid about what he's going to do next. All you have to do is keep it simple. Despite that critique, this episode is the best one since the Duane Berry/Ascension two parter.