The Voyager Novels

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Janeway's Girl, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Janeway's Girl

Janeway's Girl Commodore Commodore

I was thinking of checking them out. Are they any good?

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

The new novels set after the series are pretty awesome. Not really familiar with any released during the series though.

3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would say start with Caretaker and go right through to "Acts Of Contrition"

Some stellar books are:

#2 The Escape
    #4 Violations
    #6 The Murdered Sun
    #8 Cybersong
    #11 The Garden
    #12 Chrysalis
    #13 The Black Shore
    #15 Echoes
    #17 Death Of A Neutron Star
    #'s 19-21 Dark Matters Trilogy

Flashback is probably one of the Top 3 novelizations ever written. I read the book first and I was expecting a lot more from the episode than what we got (I was actually expecting the episode to be a 3-part episode, not a single episode based on the novel).

4. borgboy

borgboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd say it depends on how much you want to read.
    The Black Shore is my favorite of the early books.
    The Christie Golden relaunch novels aren't very good.
    If you really want to jump into things, I'd suggest reading the String Theory trilogy and then start with the newer Kristen Beyer relaunch novels.

5. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

I've enjoyed the majority of the Voyager novels I've read. I'd add Battle Lines to tomswift2002's list. Other members can point you to the awesomeness of Kirsten Beyer's post-series continuation - although it's heavily interconnected with the other Trek novel series (spinning off of huge events in the TNG novel Before Dishonor and Destiny crossover trilogy), it's an awesome look at what happened to the crew years after they got home.

Like the episodes, some are awesome but some.... not so much. So if you try one and hate it, don't immediately give up hope! It would be like judging the entire TV series on "The Fight"

6. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I personally enjoyed the anthology Distant Shores. I also enjoyed Mosiac that is set during the series and gives Janeway's backstory. I have read the first two books see after the series, Homecoming and A Further Shore. They were okay.

7. Janeway's Girl

I'm currently reading Mosaic, I really like it so far. The Dark Matters Trilogy looks interesting. Would anyone recommend the Seven of Nine novel?

I don't have any interest in reading the post-Voyager novels. I prefer to imagine what happens myself. Which is why I've never read the Buffy comics.

8. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Seven of Nine is pretty good-- I liked all of Golden's novels set during the TV series (except her Gateways contribution). Other than those and Mosaic, ones I remember enjoying were Fire Ship (probably the best Janeway story bar Mosaic) and Echoes (fun with alternate realities).

Golden's post-finale novels weren't great, and I didn't like Beyer's Full Circle and so I gave up on the series after that.

9. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In that case you will really like the anthology Distant Shores.

10. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

Then you're missing some great stories. Kirsten Beyer's post-finale novels have been amazing.

11. Janeway's Girl

Thanks for all the recommendations:)

12. borgboy

borgboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I vaguely remember the Seven of Nine novel being a bit dull and well, forgettable. I don't recommend it unless you're a completest.

13. Janeway's Girl

Completest?

14. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Both "Pathways" and "Mosaic" were written by Voyager co-creator Jeri Taylor, and for a while were considered canon.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Though, as I recall, when Jeri Taylor left the show they lost whatever canonical value they might have had, and indeed the show did contradict the books a few times.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Pathways was contradicted a lot -- pretty much the Kes chapter is the only one that has no discrepancies with later canon, because Kes was out of the show by that point -- but I don't think Mosaic was significantly contradicted.

17. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Someone who likes to collect everything in a particular set of whatever it is they collect.

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Admiral Admiral

The actual spelling for such a someone is completist. Completest means "most complete."

19. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Too bad you aren't interested in the post-series books. Christie Golden's stuff was OK, but Kirsten Beyer's books have been tremendous. The only other Voyager books i've read are Mosaic and Pathways, both by Jeri Taylor, and both are pretty good. Mosaic being the better of the two.

You really should consider reading the post-series books. Kirsten's stories have been better than what was ever on the screen :techman:

20. Janeway's Girl

I'll take it into consideration. I just prefer to make up my own continuations. So things happen the way I want them to rather than being told what happens.