The Strain (Guillermo del Toro's New FX Summer Show)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ro_Laren, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Starbrow

Starbrow Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What an epic development in one episode.

The flashback was awesome.

2. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Commodore Commodore

Setrakien is older than I thought from that flashback unless the show isn't taking place in 2014. If it is 2014 it went back 70 years to 1944 and he was at least a teenager.

So that puts him in his 80s. Probably mid 80s. Moving around pretty good and chopping heads at that age.

3. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked how we were actually shown Setrakian's past, but it bothers me that the scene is in English. It should be in German with English subtitles.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suppose every one else noticed that he was doing a reverse Cushing?

Although if they make him a Moff in the new Star Wars movie, then it'll just be a random Cushing.

5. Starbrow

Yeah, i want to see more of his flashbacks, to see how he survived the encounter with the Master.

Also deffinatly want to see how Thomas Eichorst was turned in to a vampire. In the flashback he was seen standing in the daylight.

The scene with Joan ( One of the 4 survivors ) and her kids, when she sniffs them at the end, really creeped me out.

I wonder what Vasiliy Fet ( rat exterminator ) will do now, that he found a nest of Vampires? I am glad he is one of the main characters.

6. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

Yeah, those flashbacks were pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing more.
    Definitely agree about Joan's sniffing the kids being creepy.
    So I guess Fet's encounter with the Vampires in the sewer answers my earlier question about how the rats tie into the Vampire plague.
    I have to admit, when this first started I was expecting a big action packed series, but I actually like the slower build we've been getting so far.

7. KGator

KGator Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The scene with the mother and children was definitely the creepiest of the episode, I agree.

After the scene in the old folks home where vampires are starting to openly attack people . . . I would think the whole idea of having to convince the CDC that there is an epidemic is probably a moot point.

I realize the attacks on the internet is supposed to help us believe that the spread of information is occuring more like it could have during the pre-hi tech internet age than it would today but . . . are landlines, television and radio signals all being jammed also? Or are these events just taking place in such a short time span that they are literally doing twenty things a day and news is only just beginning to naturally filter out?

We need more Fet. I'm glad to see him back involved.

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's the thing. The CDC trying to fire/contain Eph seems pretty dumb. Video evidence, plus the number of attacks seems to be escalating. And wouldn't be too hard to just follow up with ANY of the families of the 'dead' and discover that there's something wrong here.

*generic plot obstacle, no one believes in our hero*

Radio, land lines, TV, this would be out already. Can't imagine the news is suddenly ignoring the 4 survivors PLUS the families of all the dead, just a day or so after the big mystery at the airport. And no one is concerned that the Coronor's office where all the bodies went hasn't said a peep in a day, not returning calls, and everyone is either dead or missing?

Lot of stuff going on that's hard to believe. Need to speed up the pace to imagine it all going wrong, it's too slow to not follow up on ANYTHING...

9. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

Have we seen anyone using cell phones in the last couple episodes? I swear I remember somebody saying something about effecting the cell phone signals, but I can't remember if we've seen people using them or not.

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral Admiral

We see people attempting to use them, but I don't recall anyone getting through. Unless you count Eph leaving repeated messages for whatsherface, but that could just be the system sending him straight to a mailbox.

11. Starbrow

Apperently on rare occasion you can make a call to FBI, so they can catch Eph. :guffaw:

6th epsiode was good but:

They build up to the Solar Eclipse, and i was expecting to see something more than 1 vampire runing exacly past FBI car - i was totaly rolling eyes there. In the whole city, the dead corner had to run exacly past Eph's car, exacly at the moment of a Solar Eclipse - it's like he was sitting nearby for days waiting for the Solar eclipse to happen, and when it does he run in to the middle of a street, ignoring all the near by pedestrials, and then trying to pull the driver out of a car instead of biting her.

If this was in the book, they should have changed it, it totaly ruined the Solar Eclipse moment.

NYC Bureau of pest control - rats carring worms in them, biting the chef in a locked room - i think they should have added this scene in the last episode. Instead it felt like it came out of nowhere - a very weak moment. Vasily already saw the Vampires in the sewers, so there was no need for writers to kill his coworkers. I think a more touching moment would have been for him to try to explaine to his coworkers about what he saw in the sewers.

One thing i didn't understood: When Vasiliy enters NYC Bureau - He asks: " Did you hear what happend in the park?" - What happend in the park? That was really puzzling.

FBI plot was also weak. Interrogation room looked very old( really didn't like the colors on the walls ), and two agents acting on there own, could have added some cops around, to create an atmospher.

The old guy trying to recruit a taxi driver - i found it strangly to be funny. At the begining of the scene in the taxi, i though to my self -" Why would they add a taxi scene?"." Is he going to try and recruit a taxi driver? "

Overall it was a good episode.

12. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

As flawed as it is, it at least holds your interest, unlike the painfully boring Extant.

13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

I actually had the same thought the other day. Both shows are going for a slow build, but The Strain manages to make it work, while Extant isn't quite as successful.
    I did enjoy the episode overall, but I do agree that eclipse stuff was rather disappointing.
    I'm glad we finally have Eph, Setrakian, and Nora together.

15. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I echo previous comments. I wish the show picked things up a bit more, but it's interesting enough to hold my interest. The eclipse was definitely a little disappointing. For some reason, I remember it differently in the book. Although, it has been a while since I've read the book. Regardless, I'll keep watching.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral Admiral

Oooh, good vampires. Not too sparkly though!

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Factions.

Rules.

This is an alarmingly good inclusion.

It means that it's not alpowerful Dracula vs. The Mayor of new York. Dracula is a Hobo asshole attacking America that already has a Vampire King who likes the status quo with freerange food... Really from the looks of these soldier boys, they probably have battery farms like in Daybreakers and have no interest in actively declaring their ownership of humanity as long as their much smaller civilization ticks over happily.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  18. Beagleman

Beagleman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finaly something interesting, Vamp hunting Vamps, seems I'm still in.

19. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

This was definitely the best episode of the series so far. I was not expecting that ending at all.

20. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just watched "For Services Rendered". Oh wow. Is that hunter leader one of the other Ancients?