The Sing-Off shall return

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Caretaker, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

This is a few days old, but no one has posted it yet (I reminded by this due to the thread about The Voice 4). The Sing-Off is coming back to NBC for season four. Having just seen season three's winning team, Pentatonix, in concert - I really look forward to see three.

2. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Yeah I heard about it. I am over the moon that I don't have to depend on the terrible fallback that is The Sing-Off China. I hated that the winning group, Freemen, adapted Pentatonix and Street Corner Symphony's works and passed it off as their own (view the links for examples). The only decent, creative and totally original group was Micapella from Singapore.

However, I didn't post here because it seemed only a handful here seem to like the show.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Love a cappella, loved the show. Thought it was cancalled - so another sign the NBC is digging waaaay deep these days. Looking forward to it!

Mark

4. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I had no idea it had been un-cancelled, thanks for posting this! Even though this isn't necessarily my favorite show, I do enjoy its simplicity and of course the awesome music. I'm happy to hear it will be back, I will definitely tune in.

5. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

In terms of the sheer amount and quality of vocal talent, this show beats them ALL.

6. Mark_Nguyen

Now that I've seen the Sing Off China clips (which I didn't know existed), I'm wondering about the re-dos. Surely those were because the actual song arrangements were done by people on the US version, and thus they were intellectual property that the franchise could re-use? Thus, it's not REALLY Freemen's fault that they were given the arrangements to do... I'm guessing they weren't alone in that sense.

Mind you, the a cappella arrangements of C-pop tunes were great, as much as I didn't understand what was being sung. I've got some great covers of anime tunes sung by Japanese a cappella groups in my collection. That, and Rag Fair is awesome. :)

http://youtu.be/HB5OmLj9Q84

Mark

7. intrinsical

If they had only stuck to songs sung on The Sing-Off, I might have agreed with you. One of the most egregious group is called ET and they simply copied Pentatonix performances, including songs not sung on The Sing-Off such as Telephone which young Scott, Mitch and Kirstie sang when they were still in their school choir and Somebody That I Used To Know which was done after they had won The Sing-Off. Its plain simple, they copied.

8. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Wow! I totally did not know the show had been exported to other countries. Those were - fascinating video clips.

9. intrinsical

As far as I know, there's now versions of The Sing-Off in France, Netherlands and China but out of these I have only watched the China version. A capella is still pretty much brand new in China so some of the groups had taken to cutting corners by copying arrangements. However two groups stood out for me because they did totally original arrangements and had their own unique styles. A word of warning, most of the songs linked in this post are in Mandarin, hopefully they won't be too lost in translation.

One group is of course Micapella which I have already linked a couple of videos. I like them partly because they're from my country of Singapore. More critically, they are very smart in fusing together multiple musical genres in their music and like all the good Sing-Off groups, they are able to elevate the original song to new levels. By the way, Micapella came in second.

The other group is called Hey Boy, formed by 5 young men who insists on interpreting traditional chinese songs for the modern era in their music. Sadly, they were eliminated early but did leave a couple of good performances.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  10. Mark_Nguyen

Yay, thanks for that info! I'm fully francophone. Off to find Sing Off France clips!

Mark

11. intrinsical

12. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

13. Mark_Nguyen

Quite liked this opener. Always a sucker for a good anthem song. :)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXDsNl57jLc[/yt]

Mark

14. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh my goodness!!! You just made my year!!! I am obsessed with this show. I didn't see it until Season 3, which honestly is the best one. I hope they get Ben, Shawn, and especially SARAH back as judges.

Trying to list my favorite performances would make a really long list. I agree with most of what Intrinsical posted. Here are a few others:
    Plus every Pentatonix performance except "OMG."

15. intrinsical

By the way, I have a playlist of all post-Singoff Pentatonix songs for your enjoyment.

PS: Please tell me if you notice that I have somehow missed out a PTX song.

16. Sakrysta

I still obsess over the music from this show. I just don't seem to ever get tired of my favorites. The show was just starting to really find its feet and bring in some great groups. And the replacement of Nicole with Sara was a smart move.

17. intrinsical

The casting call for season 4 is out, so its back for sure!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh3PFFnKMAM[/yt]

18. Sakrysta

LOL - that's Pentatonix singing the theme jingle. :D

19. intrinsical

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  20. Sakrysta

I'm really disappointed by that, but I had already heard the rumor, so I'm not really surprised. I thought the three of them made a great, well-balanced judging team. There doesn't seem to be any bad feelings involved though, which is good. I know Ben collaborated with her on her recent EP, which I really liked. I can understand her putting her music career first, but it's the show's loss, for sure.

I hope they don't bring Nicole back. Bless her heart, she was basically the sober version of Paula Abdul. :p