The scary/creepy moments of TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Strange Citizen, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Co-Founder of ISIS Moderator

Is that what you think misogynistic means? I never accused you of stalking anyone or trying to make anyone's lives miserable, so I don't know where that's coming from. I just think you frequently express some rather anachronistic views about women.

I don't remember the episode all that well, but wasn't the reason Picard ordered Data's conversations terminated because it was a potential Prime Directive violation since they were a pre-warp society? No mention of a Lolita situation between Data and the alien girl being on Picard's mind, that I recall.

Also, your description of Data fails to take into account that despite his outward appearance, age since activation, and great intellect, he is in many ways like a child himself. Inexperienced in social interaction, extremely curious, eager to learn new things. So he would actually have a great deal in common with a child, which is a point they made on multiple occasions on the show (and in Insurrection).

I find it comical that you seem to think an adult male and an unrelated child should never have any sort of interaction whatsoever, much less one via radio where there was no expectation of contact (at least not until the end, and not by choice). It's not like Data was luring her to a sexual encounter like something out of To Catch a Predator. It's the worst kind of child molestation paranoia that takes a legitimate concern but blows it completely out of proportion to the point where you can't even have fathers on a playground without them getting suspicious looks.

Data's Peter Pan essentially. If you want to see that as something sinister, again, that's on you. There was never any intent on the writer's part to suggest anything negative about it.

2. Coloratura

Coloratura Snuggle Princess Premium Member

I never saw that! I'll have to go back and watch that scene again. :D

In the three dozen times I watched that episode, I have never had any inkling of any kind that would lead to see it as anything other than what it was: a being who wanted to protect the innocent and vulnerable. How do you read anything else into it? I mean, there is really nothing else there that would even remotely suggest anything at all on the level of which you're saying, and I mean nothing. Nothing, sir. Not one jot, nor one iota, not a gossamer of a wisp of a hope on a prayer dancing on the head of a pin. Nothing.

3. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alright, well ... I have nothing else to add, so. Guess that's it.

4. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like Michael Jackson.

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I told you before, I'm a lover, not a fighter.

(p.s. oh don't you start too!)

6. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

The final version of the holodeck table actually looks very dissimilar to the "real" table. To be fair to the holodeck though, the real table doesn't even match the descriptions they gave. The unreliability of memory. :)

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, it's impossible for an adult man to have a friendly talk and relationship with a young girl. It's amazing how adult family members can have any meaningful contact with younger family members without coming across with a perv. I mean the looks I get from people when I give my 10-year-old niece a friendly hug. But, I guess I can understand their point of view. I mean and adult male making any kind of contact with a young girl? Scandalous!

That, or, it IS possible for an adult and child to have a simple relationship that means nothing more than "these two people know each other."

8. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The scene in Timescape where Picard beings to go loopy, draws the smiley face in the frozen exhaust from the warp core breach, and does that really disturbing and quite maniacal laugh. What really does it for me is that Patrick looks creepy when he smiles.

9. at Quark's

at Quark's Captain Captain

In my opinion, perhaps the best 'horror scene' in trek, ever, was the already-often-mentioned- morgue scene in 'Night terrors'. So simple, only 15 seconds, yet so incredibly effective.

I found 'phantasms' pretty creepy, as well. The concept of a very sympathetic and innocent person like Data 'out of nowhere' beginning to have nightmares filled with dark and bizarre imagery that become steadily worse (and us being there to actually see them) was unsettling to me. More so because he became totally obsessed by them.

Ironically, with the discovery of the peptide-sucking (or whatever) interphasic parasites, the episode becomes a whole lot less frightening to me. ("pfew! I thought Data was going mad but it's just a bunch of alien parasites!")