The racist legacy of Star Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Afrika Bambaata, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    What's a Nubian?

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek does often reflect a certain level of white privilege, but I don't think it's fair to call it racist. It has a longstanding, though imperfect, commitment to anti-racism.

3. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

It's a model of starship developed largely for the planet Naboo, used by the Naboo Queen...in this case, Queen Amidala.

Oooops....I better stop now before the racist conspiracy b.s. starts up about Jar Jar Binks and the Gungans. :)

4. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Captain Terrell was a great character, and a true hero. Or so I've believed since 1982, anyway, but apparently I've been wrong all these years.

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I have little time for newbies who come on and in their first post try to make waves. Most such guys disappear as quickly as they appear.

I certainly don't agree with the most of the specific arguments the OP makes, but I do agree that Star Trek (and American TV in general) is much too lily white. And it's not just blacks/African Americans who get the short shrift: it's asians (of all stripes), hispanics, etc. etc.

6. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first female starship captain ever, was a black women in ST IV:TVH.

I think subtle tones of racism (C-3PO acts a lot like an African American stereotype in early films and series) are rather found in the original Star Wars Trilogy.

And the opening scene in Kevin Smith's "Chasing Amy" featuring Hooper-X addresses this issue in a remarkable way (it's a must-see - and apparently was the inspiration for the OP and Locutus...:rolleyes:)

I concur with Maurice, the portrayal of asians and hispanics could have been more prominent in Star Trek. I wonder how popular or unpopular Star Trek is in emerging markets like China or Brazil.

Bob

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

whut

8. Robert Comsol

Threepio and Artoo are robots that have no individual rights but owners. They are sold like slaves to Lars Homestead which by definition is a moisture "farm" and the two droids will be given farmwork.

That wouldn't be such a big issue, but especially Threepio acts exactly like African American servants in films and series of the 1930's: He is noticably timid and constantly afraid, he talks too much and gets on everybody's nerves. And later we got JarJar Binks. Just coincidence? :rolleyes:

Bob

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I don't get this either. It's not like he's waddling around saying "Feets, do yo' stuff!"

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Khannnn, at least the actor who playing him twice. But then TPTB did replaced the Hispanic with a pasty-faced Brit with a speech impediment.

Can't speak to China, but it's moderately popular in Brazil.

:)

11. AustNerevar

AustNerevar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Haha, good one, almost fell for it.

Your mentioning Uhura almost set me off on a tirade at how ironically wrong you were.

Better be careful, though. I've discovered that outside of Reddit, internet-go'ers aren't as good at detecting Trolls.

I'm kind of surprised that trolling is allowed on this board, but, hey, I'm new.

12. Robert Comsol

Trolling? "A troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people."

If as Star Trek fans we no longer accept discussions about issues that should or could interest us, than the Star Trek community as a whole is in danger, IMHO

The OP has presented food for thought, so I couldn't possibly find fault with that. But, then again, discussing Andrew Probert's Enterprise-C has become a forbidden topic in two sections of this forum, so I don't know anymore.

Bob

13. Gov Kodos

Very true. It would be a dull place without good discussion, especially when Trek at its best brings those topics to the fore.

What could be a problem about discussing ship designs? I don't go to the art forums much, but what could be a problem with the subject?

14. AustNerevar

Oh come on, aside from the TNG episode Code of Honor I can't think of ANY instance in which Trek has been racist. Trek has always gone above and beyond when showing people of diversity holding respectable and important positions.

In TOS, not only was an important bridge officer black, but also a woman. That was UNHEARD of. Nichols tells the story of how MLK told her how important her role in Star Trek was, saying that it was the only TV he and his family watched as it showed a future where all sorts of different people could work together. TOS also was the first show to have an on-screen interracial kiss (between Kirk and Uhura).

It's obvious that OP is not serious or is doing this to incite a flame war, as he uses points that actually disprove his argument to back up his claims.

15. Gov Kodos

The glorified switchboard operator? 'I Spy' was a much better show so far as race was concerned in having a Black lead opposite Robert Culp. TNG forward wasn't much better. The show has often done controversial issues, but usually not till other shows have paved the way. Trek is a safe liberal show. It will wave the flag of progressiveness, but not till others have taken the hill.

16. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Be careful about making accusations of such here. The mods frown on that.

17. AustNerevar

I was not trying to say that this board isn't particularly good at detecting trolling, just that a lot of the internet is. I wasn't trying to level any accusations at the forum-goers here and I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

18. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

By describing Khan Noonien Singh as a "evil white man" you're showing your true colours and your own racist beliefs.

Khan was a Sikh from the Republic of India who was fighting the continuing oppression and exploitation of his people by the white western powers and is as such a true hero of the people in the Eugenics Race War. And when he was awakened after 200 years of deep hibernation he continued his heroic fight against the supremacist James T. Kirk. Inserting that Ceti eel into Capt. Terrell's ear was nothing else than an act of liberation from the white master Kirk and not one of enslavement.

19. AustNerevar

This one made my jaw drop, as well.

Ironically, the people who cast Cucumberpatch as Khan in STiD allegedly did so because thought that "demonizing anyone of color" would be in poor taste. Now, that's racism.

20. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Damn, I though the spoof was getting across. Ah, never mind...