The Prime Alternative

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MadMan1701A, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For the ramscoops, it'd be nice to see a bit of swirling gas in there while the spinning blades are in motion, giving the idea that they're drawing interstellar gas in, perhaps towards the center bulge there.

2. Halmirdax

Halmirdax Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's a beautiful design, the blue and orange looks nice.

3. Cjohnson1701

Cjohnson1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey Mad Man, just wanted to say great work and thank you for being an inspiration for me.

Also what programs did you use to render and composite?

4. 1701TPA

1701TPA Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for your suggestions :) but I never liked of the whole bussard collector / ramscoop concept...

I believe it was Vektor that once wrote (and I agree 100% with the statement below)
    “Originally the Bussard Collectors weren't Bussard Collectors at all. I'm familiar with the design lineage. I don't like the concept of bussard collectors for several reasons. Bussard conceived them as part of a ramscoop drive system that really isn't applicable to a Trek ship other than for fuel replenishment, and there are certain problems with that as well. I just don't think they make sense other than as a one-off plot device. Arguably, the nacelles on the TOS Enterprise and the TMP refit never had bussard collectors and that innovation didn't come into use until the TNG era, which is the explanation I prefer.”

“So, if they're not bussard collectors, what are they?
    ➢ matter/energy sinks work just fine for me.”

In any case, the TOS rotating fan blades / bands and or veins, have always struck us as mechanical, inside a physical Nacelle Dome… Which is the design path Ricky and I have followed for this ship!

I'm also not a big fan of the "swirling plasma" concept either. I kinda subscribe to the concept that the rotating fan (clockwise & counter clockwise) blades create magnetic fields that shape the warp bubble around the ship…. Just a thought ;)

See some of Our Design Concepts: 1701 Prime Alternative
    >http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=51475

5. 1701TPA

6. JJohnson

On the really close up picture there, with those windows fogged up, the crew can't see out it seems. It's be kind of cool to see in and see a crew lounge or crew quarters along the saucer's edge. (Though that might take a while to render and get the same level of detail elsewhere on the image). It's a great image of the ship, I must say. I'm halfway to the point of wanting to see this rendered as if it were in the shuttle approach scene from ST09 just for kicks.

7. 1701TPA

Re: The Prime Alternative ~ shuttle approach scene from ST09 ju

Thanks for all your kind words pal :) ... And Ricky would be the one to address your ideas on how best to render the crew seen through one or more of the saucer edge windows!
    But as to your other wish request, "to see a shuttle approach scene from ST09"... Ricky has done that image a long time ago :) < see page 7 for full size render of the below >

[​IMG]

ALL Prime Alternative ORTHOS, WALLPAPERS, VIDEOS LINK
    http://madshipyard.com/ThePrimeAlternative/index.htm

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  8. 1701TPA

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  9. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Commodore

Thanks for all the comments, guys. :)

Thank you, and you are welcome, of course. :) I did the modeling and rendering in Blender, version 2.4 was what I was using at the time for these. The composites were all put together in Photoshop. The videos were done the same way, just with After Effects and Premiere too.

Thanks again, guys. :)

-Ricky

10. Cjohnson1701

Man, you do that all in Blender?! Nice! I would love to see what you can do with 3DS Max or Maya, cause if you can do near Professional level work with Blender, you could possibly land a job at ILM

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Um, Blender is a great 3d package and used by many "professionals".

12. Cjohnson1701

If I offended anybody I'm sorry, just a lot of people I know who work in the VFX, or Games industry use Maya or 3DS Max. So if I came off as condescending on professionals who use Blender I do apologize.

13. MadMan1701A

Ha, thanks. :) Not sure about that, but I feel like I get pretty good results out of it. There are guys doing some really cool stuff over at blenderartists.org .

No offense here, but I know the reputation Blender has picked up over the years. Since it's free, so many people try it but never progress past the playing stage. With the newer versions, they've really make some cool changes, that make it feel like some of the commercial apps.

I used Maya a long time ago when I had a free student version, 7 maybe? I played with Lightwave and Max some too, but I'm just too invested in Blender now. :)

-Ricky

14. JJohnson

Does this version of the shuttle use a landing strut either front or back?

And have you considered doing a rendering of the shuttlebay open perhaps? I'd be interested to see which way your version goes - more TOS or more ST09. Great work so far!

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope. And I like their work a lot.

What good fan artists keep proving is that fans who are predisposed to think the TOS ship is good enough will find detail redesigns and renderings by good artists to be "proof" that the TOS ship is good enough. That's all.

16. JJohnson

17. MadMan1701A

Nope, no landing struts or gear, on this one. My idea for this was that it would land like a helicopter... it has those landing skids on the bottom of the nacelles that could also magnetize, to stick it to things.

I haven't built a shuttle bay interior for the model yet, but it'll probably look more like the TOS / TMP version. The physical model is going to have a custom shuttle bay designed by the builder, so I'll probably do it like that. :)

You mean like a video? yeah, it could be done, it would just take time. :)

-Ricky

18. MadMan1701A

Yep, I agree with you. :)

I still don't understand the criticisms of the new ship, or why it's not OK to like both. It seems to be working OK for me so far. :D

-Ricky

19. 1701TPA

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  20. Cjohnson1701

It would be cool to do that, on that hand though if you really want a realistic version of that, and save on render times would be to model the interiors in a separate scene and comp them in, so you can get the depth and perspective needed.
    That's my plan for the ship I'm working on, the USS Pike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.