The Plan - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Oct 14, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

14.4%
  2. Above Average

35.9%
  3. Average

31.4%
  4. Below Average

13.7%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I nodded off during the middle of the film, more from being tired than disinterest. So I'll have to watch it again to give a fuller review. I had a question though. When Cavil was talking to Boomer, was she in some type of trance? Did he have the ability to put her in a trance? Or was she blocking out the unpleasant Cylon memories/side of her personality on her own?

Oh what the heck...here's my two cents. From what I did see, I enjoyed it. I don't think its essential viewing and it does get a little confusing jumping from scene to scene, especially if you haven't seen the first and second seasons in a long while, like I haven't. Though it was cool to see some of the unexplained things that happened on the show, like who Six was talking to on Caprica in the pilot, wound up being answered by the film.

I also like the expanded role for Simon. He was one of the most neglected Cylons during the show's run. Good he got some face time here, and an interesting plotline. Did his wife ever show up again, in Seasons 4.0/4.5? She was pretty hot.

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't do much with Tori. Also, Leoben didn't seem to do much except listen in on Starbuck's transmissions. I do like the interaction between the Cylons, particularly Cavil's disdain for the Doral model. And I thought Ellen looked great in that little red dress.

One thing that bothered me was that the Cylon Centurions looked different. Leaner and more shiny than on the show. I liked the other ones better.

2. JCBos

JCBos Commander Red Shirt

Not that I know of; she was in the mini-series (one of the people rescused from Caprica by Sharon), but that's it until this movie.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Here's an oddity I noticed here. Cavil seemed to diss the Fours and Fives yet they side with him in the civil war. Meanwhile, this movie also features Cavil getting along with the Twos and Sixes, who turn against him in the civil war. That seemed kind of odd to me.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed this flick a LOT more than I thought I would. While I like BSG I always felt it was too slow and depressing, but this story fired on all cylinders. Cavil is far and away my favorite character in the show, so that fact the entire movie starred him (TWO of him!) was all kinds of wonderful. :D I also loved how they retro-actively made it seem like they knew where the story was going all along, filling in all the many plot holes of the nebulous Cylon actions and motives. It was such a hoot seeing an increasingly disgruntled Cavil sending off his brethen on their failed suicide missions, lol. And the depiction of the Fall of the Colonies was absolutely gorgeous. I particularly geeked out at seeing the asymmetrical Base Stars rotating into position to become massive guns pointed at the planets. Correct me if I'm wrong but we never saw them do that in the show.

5. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well they werent guns they just looked like they were positioned to enter the atmosphere and turned to launch a massive barrage of nukes at the Colonies (although a. they had to be many low yield nukes and b. they attacked sites with conventional weaponry) I guess with the idea that they would live in some of the colonies and reboot civilization...the Cylon way.

6. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The show did it a lot with Eight and especially with Six, but not so much with the others (though one could make the case for Fives considering the differences between, for instance, the Overseer Five from season 1, the angry Five on New Caprica and the Five who manipulated Jammer in the webisodes, but I suspect that this happened only because Bennett was available at the time, so he was the go-to cylon). The Plan was the first time we've seen Ones and Fours with different personalities.

I thought this was actually one of the best parts of the movie.

The kid - whether he was real or just a figment of Cavil's imagination (or even a head person) - was Fleet Cavil's chance for love and redemption. Unlike the other Cylons in the movie, including the other Cavil, he decided to reject it. But that's not all. The name "John" only emphasized that the boy reminded Cavil of himself (which is exactly why I think he might not have been real). By killing the boy, while telling him that he should learn not to look for friendship, as it only makes you weak and vulnerable, Cavil tried to show that, contrary to what Six had said, he could fight against love - and that he was not going to allow himself be defeated by giving in to a need for love... but he was also punishing, rejecting and trying to kill the part of himself that was a little boy who needed his "parents" (the Final Five) to love him - which was why he did all those things in the first place.

7. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

We saw the "plug-in trick" in Flight of the Phoenix, Lay Down Your Burdens, and the Face of the Enemy. We saw the glowing spine in the Mini and Six Degrees of Separation (and would've seen it if they hadn't decided against the Gaeta/Sweet Eight sex scene. What they had planned sounded pretty cool cinematographically, with us not actually seeing the spine light up, but seeing the light reflected on the wall behind the Eight).

So, that's three each. It's not exactly Spock's brother or the Warp-Ten Lizards.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The important question, is they male nudity or not? :lol:

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

They actually zoomed in on a dude's dick. It was weird.

10. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

We see quite a bit more bare-assed Colonial soldier than I would've expected in a quick scene in one of Galactica's co-ed showers.

Moreso when you consider that, in all likelihood, Edward James Olmos himself explicitly ordered the camera man to do it.

11. RoJoHen

"I really want the audience to know this guy has a penis so they can relate to him." Or something. :wtf:

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Was the glowing spine in The Face of the Enemy seriously considered, though? Moore is pretty clear in several of the commentaries that he thinks the glowing spine was a mistake, and regards it as a visual cheat for the audience's benefit, not a literal occurence.

Though it did make for a good promo--the one Patricia Clarkson narrated with the Cylon fetus that had the glowing spine. I bet that's on Youtube somewhere.

13. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

you know it was this web site that got me into the torrents

14. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

did they bring elephants with them once they left the colonies?

15. RoJoHen

Boomer's human personality was obviously the dominant one while she was undercover, but her programming was obviously flawed because she was always subconsciously aware something was wrong with her. I mean, she tried to kill herself because of it.

It's very possible that the Boomer's human personality was the one that transferred during her resurrection in "Downloaded."

16. bigdaddy

I haven't seen it, but I give this move A+!!! :lol:

Can I get a torrent for only that scene? I'll wait until it's on TV, but I really want to see this weird scene now! :lol:

I really wish BSG/Caprica were now on HBO. :lol:

17. RoJoHen

It's just a random locker room scene. There are naked people walking around. And there's a naked dude shaving or brushing his teeth or something (can't remember, but he's standing in front of the mirror). The camera is moving around and then very zooms in directly on the guy's penis.

I honestly have no idea what the point of it was.

18. bigdaddy

Who doesn't like some cock with their BSG? :lol:

19. RoJoHen

Not gonna lie, I would've been okay without it.

20. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

I don't remember the scene focusing on it at all, especially not some epic zoom that you seem to be implying. There was just a scene in a coed shower room that had naked people in the background, one of which happened to be a guy.

What nudity there was in the show was certainly gratuitous in that it wasn't needed to drive the story along, but it's not like the show ever focused on it anymore than it did a matte painting or other background scenery.