The Plan - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Oct 14, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

14.4%
  2. Above Average

35.9%
  3. Average

31.4%
  4. Below Average

13.7%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He reminds me in a way of Agent Smith from the Matrix. Human beings are a disease...etc
    Completely irrational...but no one ever said Hitler was the model of stable mental health either so I guess its not that far fetched.

2. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The cool thing is, it gives HeadBaltar's line to Caprica Six "Start with the elephant" an interesting new subtext.

3. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Captain Captain

I just finished watching it. The first part was cool, the second part was great character developement - for the two cavils and the simons. And I want the soundtrack for this :)
    So I guess that's why they switched to agressive so soon (well, a year...) after declaring truce. GalacticaCavil went back and took over the operation. But Deanna seemed to be more in charge during the first half of season 3, so I dunno, maybe he nagged the 3s into agressiveness, and when she went crazy, he took charge personally. The attack in Crossroads pt2 was certainly in his style...

4. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

What was the point of keeping the final five Cylons on the resurrection ship? If they died and downloaded would Cavil have killed them? Or wiped their memory and put them back on the fleet for his amusement (wiping their minds each time and they keep getting killed by people spotting them as Cylons)?

Also, did Cavil kill the boy cos he was tired of him, or cos he was called John?

5. flux_29

flux_29 Commodore Commodore

They were originaly sent to the colonies to teach them a lesson so when they resurected, cavil would be proven right and the final five wrong.

6. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Kinda makes you wonder what he was expecting would happen by the time he was banging his mother on New Caprica.

7. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I felt this was the best part of the movie. It works, and I can believe it.

Now, if only we can change the intro to, "And they had a plan..."

8. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    So BSG gets its Phantom Menace and prequel trilogy all wrapped into 2 hours.

It's very clear that The Plan is created with a great deal of reverence and respect for the series. It tries -- desperately sometimes -- to make the series itself into something coherently profound (as opposed to the often disjointed result of RDM making things up as he went along). But as many Star Wars fans discovered, the nebulous past of Darth Vader was much, much more intriguing than the specifics of a saccharine-sweet boy, an impetuous, arrogant, emo-teen, and an insecure young husband and soon-to-be father.

I give The Plan credit for going to great lengths to try and fill in the blanks left by the original series. I was entertained for most of it. And I think, overall, it's a better product than most of seasons 3 & 4. But at the end of the day, I'm wondering if it was worth it? The revelations weren't especially profound. And the specifics sometimes seemed to mundane too be worthy of a two-hour film.

Still, for fans of the series (and even for me, a fairly vocal critic), it was an entertaining and thoughtful coda ... something that should remind everyone why, for two years at least, BSG was one of the better shows on television.

9. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Reminds me of the Joe Dirt scene...

"...I'M YOUR SISTER, I'M YOUR SISTER..."

10. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

Cavil's utter failure to understand human emotions and why other people weren't acting the way he wanted them to seemed autistic, to me. He's very intelligent but with a narrow emotional scope.

11. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Did anyone else catch the the thing the hybrid said right before the attack? "Twelve battles, three stars."

What was that about?! Obviously twelve battles means destroying each colonial world but three stars? Are they trying to say it's a trinary star system? If so, I've never heard that before.

12. vampgrrl

I thought it was representative of how immature the Cylons were...words like love seemed to shock them, they were like humans who had no understanding of emotion at all.

13. kipron

kipron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, I say it's average because it feels like the writers are being unnecessarily apologetic to their audience.

It's like, "look! there really was a Plan!" Even though there wasn't really.

I think I much prefer the approach of Daybreak, which was to leave things unapologetically mysterious. :)

14. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Moderator

All it means is that the twelve colonies circle three stars. Nothing is implied about where those stars are. Four habitable worlds in a single star system is already pushing things, so I'd guess they're just nearby (in easy FTL range).

15. vampgrrl

Well its never established the range of Colonial FTL drives or how far the Red Line is from the colonies.

THe number of colonies around 1 star is absurd but I figured it was more to fit within the original storyline or Glen Larson.

I'd buy 2-3 "colonies" better but its not too much of a big deal.

16. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I disagree, because 1) they should apologize to the audience :p and 2) they did not, as far as I can see.

Seriously... they're not trying to make out that there was any grand "Plan". I don't know where you're getting that idea - from the title? The movie itself shows that there was indeed, a plan...(well, duh... there always is one...) a very simple and not very good one, to destroy all the humans, and when it - of course - did not work (did they really think they'd succeed in wiping out 100% of a population at one stroke?!) Cavil just started improvising and coming up with desperate little "plans". In other words, the movie itself mocks the idea that there ever was some kind of grand "PLAN" and that the Cylons were oh so knowing and powerful and that they had everything mapped out, as people used to assume during season 1 and most of season 2.

Or, if you like theobabble (which the movie was refreshingly free of, and I find it a great relief), you might take the words from Cavil's poster literally despite himself, and postulate that the only big "plan" there was was "God's plan".

17. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

This was when people thought the HeadPeople were on the same side of the Cylons, not a third party.

18. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    If there really was no "grand plan" ... then why the hell devote nearly two hours to the ad-hoc, ridiculously incompetent and futile plan Cavil came up with ... and call the whole ball of wax The Plan? Unless the retcon was worth exploring, why do so at all? Why not just leave the mystery intact? Afterall, the mystery of Vader's past turned out to be far more tantalyzing than the reality.

Same here.

If you're going to go through the trouble of explaining "The Plan" and call the movie The Plan ... then "The Plan" should be at least something more compelling then: KILL ALL HUMANS, INCLUDING INNOCENT HOMELESS BOYS ... <EVIL GLARE> GRRR!!!

:p

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm gonna have to go with average. There were some moments of brilliance, but it was mostly "meh".

20. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

You do realize that there's no evidence that the boy actually existed, right? That he could just have easily been a head manifestation. Note the total lack of blood when Cavil murdered him. Or the fact that no one else was shown to have seen or noticed him. Considering that killing the boy was the last step along Cavil's road to damnation -- the moment he let him stay gave rise to the question of redemption for him -- it's very possible that he could have been one of the angelic beings testing him.

What we really saw was that the Cylons were doomed to failure from the very beginning. That Cavil was manipulating everyone, Cylon and Human alike. That he wasn't even above destroying his own model to see his madness through despite he, himself, discovering just how much of a failure his plan was through his own model.

The entire point of the movie was to show that Cavil was a madman. Even his own model saw the light, but he quelled that with an iron fist.

Most of all it showed us that the real plan was God's plan. That no matter what Cavil tried to do in his insanity, the human condition survived. That love was the answer for everything. Love allowed the Cylons and Humans to mate. Love turned Cylons away from Cavil's plan. Love allowed the survivors to make it to Earth despite all the pitfalls that came their way.

Battlestar Galactica was a love story. And The Plan (note that the title wasn't The Cylon's Plan or Cavil's Plan) showed us just how powerful it was.

Regardless of all of that, the movie left us with just as many questions as it answered. The mystery is still there in a number of places. How did Starbuck survive her death and return with a sparkling new Viper that triggered the Final Five? Who was her father? What was going on with Three? etc.