The Plan - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Oct 14, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

14.4%
  2. Above Average

35.9%
  3. Average

31.4%
  4. Below Average

13.7%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

That's pretty harsh. What part of BSG are you referring to? I thought BSG told a great story and had one of the best underlying mythologies I've ever seen in televised science fiction. The only thing that I'd describe as problematic in BSG is the classic "search for X", in this case, Earth. You know they can't find X too soon, otherwise the show would be over.

2. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I see that this will be on SciFi in Jan and I cant wait! I havent seen it yet.

3. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

I just finished watching it finally, and thought it was pretty good. Definitely nothing Earth-shatteringly amazing, but a pretty fun romp through the first two seasons. I wasn't expecting any big revelations or "aha!" moments, but for a movie that basically just fills in blanks that weren't all that necessary to fill in, The Plan gets the job done nicely. It also makes me pine for more Dean Stockwell and Rick Worthy throughout the series; it's a huge shame they cast such great actors in important roles and then found they could never get the scheduling to work out.

One little thing that really stood out was a tiny moment when Fleet Cavil tells Shelley Six to airlock herself---the camera does a closeup on Tricia Helfer's face and her eyes convey some extremely powerful emotions in just those few seconds. Usually on the series I'd stick to praising amazing actors like Olmos or Hogan or McDonnel, but in this scene for the first time I have to put Helfer in that same superb category. I had to rewind and watch it 2 or 3 more times to take it in...I think her performance here was as moving as any of the classic emotional moments from the series.

4. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    You're going to miss the titties.

5. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think he'll mind...

6. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and the franks and beans.

7. garak1

garak1 Captain Captain

I thought 'The Plan' was fantastic.

Essentially, it showed BSG Seasons 1 and 2 from the Cylon perspective of the Cavils on Galactica and Caprica, respectively.

The story tied in nicely with existing BSG lore, particularly the actions of the Cylons in the Colonial Fleet. Finally explaining Shelley Godfrey's disappearance was a nice touch.

The only real disappointment I had was that 'The Plan' didn't show more of what the Cylons were up to in Seasons 3 and 4. I also wonder if Giana and her daughter made it to Earth. I hope they did.

Some criticisms (or more pointing out things that weren't touched on):

• The Olympic carrier. Was the ship really taken over by Cylons? Was there a nuke onboard? This was a major plot point in '33' that I expected further explanation on.
    • Who murdered Valance in 'Colonial Day'?
    • Did Baltar's Cylon detector pick up the Final Five?
    These were major plot points that I expected explanation on.

But, aside from those issues, I loved 'The Plan'. The CG in the attack on the colonies was gorgeous, and the soundtrack, particularly the revamped BSG theme in the closing credits, was mesmerising.

Eddie Olmos, Jane Espenson and the cast and crew did a magnificent job. Any further BSG films should have Eddie Olmos at the helm.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Since that was related to Zarek's storyline, there'd be no need to go over it in The Plan.

9. garak1

garak1 Captain Captain

Fair point. But if 'The Plan' wasn't the right place for it, then where else?

Ellen Tigh's involvement (and hence the Final Five) was implied during the episode, but never directly stated.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    A follow-up movie about Zarek. Wishful thinking on my part, no doubt, but there's ground waiting to be covered in such a film if further installments are made. The Plan has sold rather well, hasn't it?

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Got this for Christmas...

I thought the parts showing the Cylon attack on the Colonies was the best part of the movie. The rest of the movie played a little too much like a clip show. It was enjoyable on that level but I was left wanting more than that.

The score was awesome.

The nudity was not needed at all. It just seemed to be there for no reason other than "hey, it's a movie...let's show some boobies and a dude's schlong!" If you're gonna put some nakedness in there down some anonymous chick show Tricia Helfer of Grace Park instead! I'd rather see that. :D

12. NIUPonyBoy

NIUPonyBoy Captain Captain

Agreed, the first 20 mins or so were the best. The rest was a clip show. :(

I want my $6 back from comcast.

13. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Well it'll be airing on SyFy tomorrow (Jan 10).

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've finally gotten around to seeing this, and I have to say that it was unfortunately very average. There were quite a few interesting things going on:

(1) Anders' subplot, which fleshed out the character and showed his journey from athlete to military leader
    (2) Simon, especially Simon on the fleet. This is probably the first time since The Farm that the character was given anything substantial to do.
    (3) Gianna--EJO's wife is quite an actress, and I especially enjoyed her interaction with Tyrol. It's a shame she wasn't in the series proper (besides the miniseries).
    (4) Cavil, or, rather, Dean Stockwell. As always, he delivers a great performance (actually, two of them).
    (5) It's nice to see a little bit more of Boomer.
    (6) We get to see how Leoben's obsession with Kara Thrace began and grew.

But, even though I enjoyed all of those things, structure was a definite problem for this film. There were several clips from previous shows that could have been cut down, or excised altogether. Finding out that Six was meeting with Cavil in the miniseries and that Baltar left the note (heavily implied anyway, since James Callis isn't actually in this outside of stock footage, which makes his presence on the DVD cover strange) aren't that interesting in the end. Ellen Tigh has very little to do, D'Anna isn't in the film at all (I must have missed her appearance via stock footage), Tory has two scenes of no substance, Adama and Tigh are mostly around in stock footage, Doral's involvement doesn't offer any new revelations, and many others (such as Roslin) don't appear at all, even in the stock footage.

The script has lots of interesting, clever, and dramatic scenes, but it never comes together into a whole.

And where to even place it in viewing order? There's a very slight framing story with the two Cavils during Lay Down Your Burdens, II, but it's not nearly as defined as the framing story of Razor. Leoben has a flash-forward which includes a key event or two from Maelstrom. And the final scene includes Cavil's dialogue from the episode No Exit.

Meh. I'd have rather seen a Tom Zarek movie. Maybe we can still have one?

15. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

There was one shot of her during the attack sequence, in the scene where the Cylons on a Baseship talk about how they're exterminating humanity for the sake of protecting the children (or rather, their mentally-handicapped siblings, the modern Centurions). There's one close-up of her stolen from some season 3 episode. Oddly, they didn't even include one of her stand-ins out of focus in the wide shot, which made it slightly more obvious that she wasn't really in the scene.

I'd slip it in after "No Exit," because it felt like there was a lull between that and "Deadlock" (if only because it seemed like it would've been a little while in story-time before the Cylon/Human combined patrols would've felt relatively normal in the Fleet). It could also go after "Deadlock" without harming the momentum of the final stretch of episodes.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Placing it after No Exit is probably best, but I'll have to see.

I've watched the first third of the miniseries and hope to get back to ther rest of it at some point soon so I can start a retro-review thread. I'll watch Razor during season 2.5 and The Plan during season 4.5, I think.