The Plan - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Oct 14, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

14.4%
  2. Above Average

35.9%
  3. Average

31.4%
  4. Below Average

13.7%
  5. Poor

4.6%
  1. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

Both of them were. Baltar fingered Doral as a Cylon while Galactica was docked at Ragnar, and he was left behind on the station when the Fleet left. Since Doral had been a reasonably public figure who got a reasonably public marooning, everyone heard rumors about it, which is how it could've gotten back to Cavil (Crashdown was talking to Boomer about it in "33," remember). However, no one but Adama saw what happened with Leoben after they were trapped behind that hatch on the station (and no one but Adama and the deck crew saw Leoben at all), so that was much easier to keep secret. No one (including Cavil, obviously) would've had any idea that anyone would've recognized Leoben until they made the announcement of the humanoid cylons after the second Doral blew himself up and started showing off pictures of his beaten corpse publicly.

That's a continuity error, by the way. The entire plot of "Litmus" hinges on the fact that someone (read: Boomer) left a hatch open that let Doral slip into a restricted area of the ship, kill a security man, break into a small arms locker, and steal the explosives he used to make his vest, right before he blew himself up. There's no episode if Doral didn't have to steal the explosives right before his attack. In "The Plan," Cavil gives Doral the explosive vest weeks before he blows himself up. I haven't decided to just assume the scenes were reordered for dramatic reasons in "The Plan" and Cavil stole the explosives (with Boomer's help) and gave the vest to Doral during the teaser for "Litmus" (something we have to assume about the Miniseries, as well, since it has Roslin leaving Caprica well before Baltar and Six meet in the park, though we know from "Epiphanies" that she was in the park at the same time they were), or to go for a more complicated fanwank where Doral, Boomer, or Cavil stages a theft and murder right before the bombing to make it look like Doral was operating solo and thus cover Cavil's tracks.

2. PhasersOnStun

PhasersOnStun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm guessing that the real-world explanation was that Lawless wasn't available.

In The Plan, Cavil makes an offhanded remark "I've already let a three go off on her own path..." or something like that. That's how they wrote her off. It was really too bad, I would have liked to see her as well. However, the writing of The Plan wasn't exactly stellar, so even if she was there, I'm not sure that it would have been much better...

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

That was weird, especially when they showed the clip of Leoben being shoved out the airlock, a scene which Roslin was obviously in, yet it was edited here to not show her.

That is a pretty good idea. However, I would imagine the kid has probably noticeably aged since the mini series, so it may have been a bit distracting seeing him so much older and bigger in what was supposed to be months afterwards.

4. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, they definitely would have had to recast the kid.

5. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Nah. That's one of the few things in the movie that was perfectly done.

Cavil basically killed his own "head angel," solidifying inability to be redeemed by himself (as seen in his conversation soon thereafter with his other model) or even God himself.

6. Stanley

Stanley Lieutenant Red Shirt

At 8:30 there is a shot of what is supposed to be Caprica from space, but it's obviously the Middle East. Sloppy.

7. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

It's not the Middle East.

8. David cgc

Caprica has a continent that looks oddly similar to Antarctica around the place Australia should be. Just go with it.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Eh, saw it last night, wasn't impressed. Didn't do anything new, just some deleted scenes that could have been in the show just as easily. And after seeing "The Plan", still don't really get what their plan was. Which worked out fine, because neither have the writers, and it changed week to week, season to season anyway.

Just didn't think much of this DVD, was hoping for something a little 'bigger' from all of this. Or at least some different ground, rather than just adding a few minutes here and there to the first couple seasons...

10. David cgc

You know, there was really only one actual deleted scene in this, right? The bit with Boomer and Gina (yes, that was Gina) on the transport right before Sharon's cover personality is first activated was going to be in Daybreak. Other than that, everything was either all new or stock footage (well, there were some alternate takes for the older stuff, but the scenes themselves had been in the show).

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I know they weren't "actually" deleted scenes. What I mean was that this whole DVD was basically just little snippets here and there (like extended or deleted scenes) rather than adding very much new to the universe. Or explaining much about their "plan"

The bit with the carving that "activated" Boomer was really the only thing that had much interest for me, and that really isn't a biggie...

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

I personally think it was a mistake using Gina. I think they should have used Natalie instead. But that's just me.

Natalie, for those forgetting was the Six that led the rebel Cylons in S4.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  13. David cgc

Well, then it would've raised all sorts of questions about what Natalie was doing in the Colonies (though it would've answered why she had a name). I think it's kind of cool that Gina and Boomer were inserted at the same time.

Of course, there's nothing but the script to tell us that that was Gina, so you can believe it was Natalie if you like. They were the same sub-model of the Six line, after all.

14. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Just watched it last night:

Visually stunning. Storywise, alright but nothing that couldn't have been done during the series. I enjoyed it much the way I would a episode of the series, but it fell short-- for me-- as a movie .

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

I think it would have worked better as one of those 8-minute recaps.

"What the frak was up with the Cylons during Seasons 1 and 2 of BSG?"

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

It couldn't be done during the season because the BSG writers didn't know where the fuck the show was going. The movie is to make the history of the later seasons make sense.

17. David cgc

There were some throwaway lines I thought were interesting in their implications. On a baseship, one of the Sixes remarks that she finds it sad that the centurions don't understand "what we're doing for them." So, I guess that ties in with the motivations of the bulk of Cylon society (minus the Ones) for the attack, namely a paralyzing fear of humans. But I'm really interested in the idea that at least some of the humanoid models felt protective of the Centurions. And it ties in with what Natalie did later on. Maybe the Sixes had been looking for an excuse to liberate the Centurions the whole time.

One of the things the hybrid says during the attack is (thank you, BSWiki), "Nuclear devices activated, and the machine keeps pushing time through the cogs, like paste into strings into paste again, and only the machine keeps using time to make time to make time." Seems to me, this is referring to the cycle of time and the catastrophes on Earth and Kobol, and that "the machine" would, logically, be God (or the Third Party as a whole). So there's a point to anyone who had "God/The Angels/The Lords of Kobol are an even earlier iteration of the Cylons" in the pool.

When Fleet-Cavil first meets Fleet-Simon, he mentions how useless his team is, remarking that Fleet-Leoban was a yoga instructor, Tough-Six was a hooker, and mentions that "a Five on this ship" was the only one in a position to do any damage during the attack, but he screwed it up. Which leads to the question, what would the first copy of Doral have done during the miniseries to disrupt the Fleet's escape if Baltar hadn't exposed him?

I'm also curious about what happened to Caprica-Cavil between meeting Six and being found by Anders' group. Did he download and return later, or ride out the attack on Caprica and then meet up with the occupation force, or what?

Also, just a point, it was interesting to see that, for Ellen Tigh, "In the airport headed home," is code for "In a nightclub at lunchtime trying to nail a celibate priest old enough to be her father." Sure, you could look at that as a continuity error, but that ignores the fact that before (and a few times after) her download, Ellen was a huge lying bitch.

18. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh? She wasn't talking about the Centurions, I didn't think. From the context, I gathered she was referring to humanity, as in the Clyons cleansing them of their sin-filled pathetic existences. (Think about where the Cylon rebels eventually ended up, with their realization that death gives meaning to life.) There's no reason for the Six to be waxing philosophical about the Centurions in the middle of the attack on the colonies.

19. David cgc

No, a centurion walked into bridge, Six looked up at it and said, "It's a shame they don't understand what we're doing for them." A Doral said, "I think they're grateful in their own way," and a Sharon said, "I know I'd be," and there was another shot of the centurion looking sort of dumb.

20. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

My problem with that interpretation is it's total non sequitor during the attack. First, there's shots of nukes arming, then Doral enters the scene and says "This has been a long time coming." That's when Six looks over at one of the Cneturions that entered with him before turning back to Doral and responding. The rest of the dialogue is given to an Eight who doesn't seem to be paying any attention to the Centurions. Plus, the Six says "doing" in the present tense, as in something the Cylons are doing right then. The human Cylons aren't in the process of suppressing the metal Cylons personalities--they're in the middle of killing all humans. Maybe the shots of the Centurions are supposed to clue us in to something, but what you're saying just doesn't make any sense to me.