The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

As more-or-less said above, since they likely don't still have the original film elements of when they recorded the lettering streaking in the depths of space the title cards are almost likely completely re-done.

Also, if you find the new title card "difficult to read" I might suggest you cease driving and seek an eye doctor.

2. Beatnik

Beatnik Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm surprised that there's been so little discussion on the dramatically improved matte shot of the city from Inner Light.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Its not too bright, its just clearer as far as I can tell.

RAMA

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Amazing, I've been saying this all along. :lol: Now if they had the 1-2 season look to go with the other's stories...

RAMA

5. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Re: the blue glow on the right side during the end credits, I don't remember ever seeing that at all during the original run. A few years ago I caught the tail end of a TNG episode, and when I saw the credits, all I could think was, "What the f*ck is that blue sh*t? Are the video masters really that f*cked up?" Maybe it was always there and I assumed it was my TV's rabbit ears not adjusted well enough. :)

The 3rd and 5th season main titles will be interesting to see. I always thought that ringed planet curiously resembling a jack-o-lantern was actually a model (minus the rings). I'll be interesting to see what kind of detail it has, assuming they've kept it in the shot.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

It looks like a new model, however, the old one was badly composited!! They actually cut off parts of the nacelle struts. The new one looks much better.

RAMA

7. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

I said, "more difficult to read" :rolleyes:.

Nevertheless, based on how soft this Season 5 title card appears, I'm inclined to believe it's incorporating some original elements. For instance, it doesn't line up at all with the obviously new Season 1-4/6-7 title card that is -- as expected -- sharp as a tack and obviously a slightly different typeface and kerning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well I posted it for all to see. Its a quick scene which probably doesn't get enough credit for adding to the episode's scope.

9. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Thanks to the fact that they kept using the same matte painting of Deneb IV multiple times, here's an expanded version of the Enterprise & Hood shot:

[​IMG]

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Great post, Sensible.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Made its smaller, brightened it up, and removed some noise, and it works great.

[​IMG]

12. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...Is that your desktop? Would I seem stupid in asking what OS you're using?

13. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's Windows with Rainmeter.

14. Brikar99

Upon further inspection, I saw the Windows logo up at the top (I'm glad I have such great observational skills...) I haven't used a Windows newer than Vista (at work) and I'm a Mac user at home, but there's some pretty slick widgets going on there.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I absolutely LOVE the brighter new transporter effect they're using. It actually looks like there's some real energy being generated now.

It also reminds me a lot more of the movie-style effect, which has always been my favorite.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, I totally forgot about that cheesy streaking effect. Clearly it's been awhile since I've seen any eps from that season.

17. Brikar99

That was one of the first things that came to mind, too, at least in the still image.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Yup just started using it a few days ago, can still use some tweaking.

RAMA

19. JJohnson

JJohnson Captain Captain

I agree - the matte paintings and planets were amazing in TOS-R, all other things aside. The Menagerie had people in the background, little shuttles flying by when Kirk was in the office, etc. Everything just looked more realistic. The planets were just amazing! I loved it! I sincerely hope that's the kind of treatment TNG will be getting - realistic mattes, more realistic planets (weather patterns, blooms from their suns, reflections onto the ship, etc), and hopefully the monochromatic skies of the 'planets' will get some clouds and digital extensions (The Cage, in the Mojave with Pike and Vina on picnic).

20. JJohnson

JJohnson Captain Captain

Not much to say other than it looked awesome! I can't wait to see it in HD. I hope to see more of this...like the colony from Best of Both Worlds - rather than a redress of the cave, let's see some of the burnt out colony's remains around them. I can tell it's very obviously matted in there, so when that gets updated, I'm hoping they'll take the time to update it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.