The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, Jan 28, 2012.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I figured with people seeing it in the UK the time has come to set up the review thread for the Next Level sampler.

I'll refrain till Tuesday, but have at it you lucky few.

RAMA

2. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

*Walks in. Breathes deep*

Aaah, that new Thread smell. Hopefully discussions about windows will be kept to a minimum ;)

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Needless to say, SPOILER ALERT! :lol:

Apparently people who got them at DeepDiscountDVD also got their blurays early..

RAMA

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  4. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Good to see you guys here! I'm still waiting along with ya for Tuesday I guess...

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The carpet's still clean...where are our UK people?

6. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I'm UK. No mail on Sunday though, so It'll probably come tomorrow.

7. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

Reposts from the other thread:

Not bad at all. And we get the option of a £5 mail-in rebate off the price of the Season 1 blu-ray set.

8. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I'll be outside my local HMV at 09:00 hours tomorrow! A friend and I have set aside the day just to watch this disc.

9. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well mine's on its way so I'm hoping it'll be here waiting for me when I get back from work. Cannot. Wait.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah... not going to be a lot of discussion here until the S1 set comes out. ;)

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This is specifically for the 3 episode sampler, the regular season discs should get their own thread.

12. DostoyevskyClone

DostoyevskyClone Captain Captain

I plan on making some comments in this thread after watching each episode on Tuesday. :techman: If this thread blows up with activity, I still think we should do a separate poll thread on things like 'Your overall reaction to the updated special effects' and perhaps grading (again, via poll) groups of special effect shots (i.e. Farpoint aliens, saucer separation, Q Net, etc.)

I mean, it's not like we're going to have THAT much to do for the next 6+ months waiting for the release of season 1! ;)

Edit: I'll likely make a set of polls by Wednesday or Thursday if there is a decent interest in this thread. I did a ton of polls back in the day, and they're just a lot of fun.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Keeping everything confined to one thread doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, considering we have this entire forum to use.

Especially since this is what most of the TNG talk is going to be about for awhile. :)

14. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Just got back from the city centre - and - HMV kindly informed me they won't be stocking this product in store! WTF - this a large HMV unit in a fair sized city! I'm so pissed off right now, I was really looking forward to watching TNG HD today. I've placed an order with an online retailer, but honestly, how very, very, disappointing.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  15. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry to barge in on this thread, but does anybody know if/when this is likely to be released in Australia?

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

What I'm really dying to know is, did they fix the edit during Encounter at Farpoint during Riker and Data's Holodeck talk? You know the one, when they walk behind a tree and Production have clearly spliced two different takes together, but the join is painfully obvious. I'm really hoping they've melded them together better in TNGR.

Hint hint, Dac. Seeing as you've watched it, can you put me out of my misery on this one? :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  17. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I got my copy this morning. :D

And wow. You thought those frames looked good? In motion there really is a stark contrast between TNG I've watched since I was a kid, to the TNG in front of me now. I love the new title sequences. Encounter at Farpoint, well, its still Encounter at Farpoint. It looks fantastic, but that doesn't make up for the clunkiness of the dialog and plot. But believe me, it does look stunning. I think a shot where the E-D rejoins the saucer and the stardrive may be another CG replacement, however I could be mistaken. The CG shot when its separating though is indistinguishable from the model shots that surround it. If this is the quality of CG were gonna get, its gorgeous.

I also watched Sins of the Father. The opening shot is likely a matte painting, because there is zero movement. The stars move, but the ships (both the D and BOP) remain dead still. It looks a little odd If I'm honest, but hey, its just the one shot. The rest of the episode looks crisp and detailed, and, well, while Sins of the Father isn't my favourate TNG episode, its a solid "average" ep in my opinion, and the HD treatment gives it a bit of extra shine to make it really engrossing.

I haven't watched The Inner Light yet, but what I have seen is fantastic. Add in the fact that here in the UK at least they included a £5 mail in rebate which essentially gives you this sample disc for free (well, £1.99) and it's a real sweet deal indeed. I can't wait for the season 1 blu rays, which according to the flyer are coming in the summer, not the fall.

Guess we don't have that long to wait then. ;)

18. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I should let Dac answer that one but I didn't notice any improvement in the editing. I did notice that it's now quite obviously Brent Spiner's stunt double who leaps down to Wesley's rescue when he falls in the stream.

19. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Well that was always painfully obvious i thought, the guy weighs like 20 pounds less than Brent did even back then!

20. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Can't say I noticed it. I moved my PS3 into the other room and the TV is currently in use, so I'll have to wait a lil while before I watch it again. This reminds me that I need to buy a blu ray drive for my PC. :P