The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Sans replicators, how do you think they recycle water? You don't think humans need water?

RAMA

2. troisboobs

troisboobs Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I had pretty low expectations and thought I would hate it. I was pleasantly surprised (and got to see it in IMAX!!) and can't wait to see it again!

3. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Jeez no I missed that too. I'l have to look out for that.

Forgot to mention Pike too. Awesome. I'm glad they didn't kill him and the wheelchair was a nice touch!

4. Augustus

Augustus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

just got back!!! awesome!!! Saw it with about 10 friends, I was the only fan, they all loved it too...

5. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

oh on the delta vega stuff..
    for all we know there are actually two planets with the same name in different systems.
    wouldnt be the first time this happened within trek.
    there were two sarpedion systems, probably more then one rigel system,
    :p

6. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Don't know if this was mentioned already, but I loved the reference to Admiral Archer and Scotty not knowing where he beamed Porthos! :guffaw:

7. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

Below average. A decent movie, but not a "Star Trek" movie. I'm no canon freak, but there was no attempt to reconcile Abrams' take with the other 40+ years of Trek apart from the "parallel universes" cop-out.

Disappointing.

8. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Look closely when you go back to see Star Trek again: The water tubes are labeled

INERT REACTANT

My guess? Good ol H-2-O is the matter in the Enterprise's matter/antimatter reaction!

9. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Oh and p.s., I voted "Excellent". A solid 9 on a scale of 1 to 10. Only very minor quibbles, nothing that kept me from thoroughly enjoying the movie and counting the hours until I can go back and see it again.

(And p.p.s., if you have the chance to do so, by all means go see Star Trek in IMAX... this movie was meant to be seen on a giant screen with a 12,000 watt sound system!)

10. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

My head is reeling.

Okay, I'm not much of a fan of the original, so there wasn't much for me to feel threatened by in the sense of messing with "my" Trek, which is TNG.

Loved:

The look of the film. I love it. Love, love, love the way it both looks back to the original and moves forward at the same time. It's retro and sleek and new and sexy all at once.

Loved the alien makeup effects, some great work there.

The cast: everyone did a superb job of recreating the characters without mimicking them. My favorite was Karl Urban, which shocked me. Karl Urban, if you're out there, I'm sorry I maligned the choice of you as McCoy. You were wonderful!

Didn't love:

Well...the destruction of Vulcan. Really? They had to destroy the whole planet? Doesn't that majorly mess up the entire Star Trek continuum, like, entirely and irreparably? I am NOT a canon fanatic, not in the slightest, but, uh......??? I can't wrap my brain around it. Only 10,000 Vulcans left??? WTF? This point, and this point alone, upsets me. Are we just disposing of the original timeline completely and starting over from scratch, and EVERYTHING is alternate now? Freaking me out big time and completely hampering my enjoyment of the film, because a. it's a little upsetting and b. saying it's an alternate timeline makes me feel like this movie doesn't count as real Star Trek, like it's a flimsy, not-quite-real Trek universe. On the one hand there's this film and it's new direction, on the other is the weight of all the amassed storylines of all the other series and movies. I mean, I'm still going to see all of those as the "correct" timeline--one film doesn't wipe them out for me. To me, Kirk was still born in Iowa and was posted to the Farragut. Enterprise was not built on Earth. Vulcan is still around. Am I a stick in the mud because I can't immediately surrender these facts of the timeline and accept the new one as correct?

Spock/Uhuru...romance? I find it extremely difficult to believe that Spock, even at his most distressed, would commit the egregious crime of PDA (not hot-blooded Vulcan pon farr raw sexual emotion, but cuddling) on the transporter pad. Ew.

So I don't know how to vote yet. I'm still computing it, but I am upset about the Vulcan thing, not because of Vulcan itself, but because I feel like it jettisoned all the rest of Trek in the process...like it never happens now. I don't know what to think about it. I'm really mad about it because I really, really, really want to love it as much as so many other people do. And it was a fun, funny, witty, action-packed movie, so I really want to just let go and love it. But I don't, quite.

11. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

i really have mixed emotions about that one uhura and spock scene on the pad.
    though it might be suggesting that this wasnt normal times,, that spock was still dealing with the effect of the loss of his planet and his mother. plus the revelation from his father that indeed the logical reason he married amanda was love.

12. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Excellent. Star Trek is fucking back baby!

I was there with two friends who had never seen a single episode of Star Trek. Both of them really really enjoyed the movie. But me, I was in heaven. This film was exciting, it was intense, it was funny, it was everything I wanted. I understand the need to change. This is not the Star Trek I grew up watching. This is Star Trek for a new generation. Still, with that said, this is still Star Trek, and the series knows it has a long and cherished history. There were sly little references everywhere that are meant for us, the fans. Of course, my friends didn't get them, and couldn't appreciate them as I could, but they still loved it. I think the accessibility is this film's greatest strength. Still, the little references like Sulu's fencing background, or Spock's "when you have elimanted the impossible" were welcome.

When Nimoy himself appeared on screen I was ready to cheer. There was a noticable reaction in the theater. His presence also lended a lot to this film. It was a sort of "passing of the torch" to this new incarnation of Trek. I also need to give some praise to the cast. Every one of them played their roles well. I knew I was watching Kirk, and Spock, and Bones, and all of those characters that I have loved over the years. karl Urban especially nailed his role, and I hope he's used to his fullest in the sequal. I understand the need to give each character their moments (which they did and did well) but Star Trek was always about the relationship between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I'm just expressing a hope that we see this familiar dynamic grow in the next film. And at the very end, when we hear Nimoy's voice and those familiar bars of the theme, well, I just got a big damn grin on my face, and almost shed a tear. Star Trek is back, back for whole new generation to love, and I can't wait for what comes next.

13. Bobatiel

Bobatiel Commodore Commodore

Couldn't agree more, Ted.

The most important elements were just right.

THAT was great Star Trek! What a great cast and terrific character writing!

14. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

I just got back from a 10 PM showing (light crowd) and I am still in disbelief at how utterly bad this movie was.

I went in knowing this movie would play like a regular hollywood blockbuster but all the positive reviews led me to believe it would be a well-executed one. Alas, it is not. The premise and plot seemed rather convoluted. The whole time travel element existed only to take a shit on canon. I had been keeping myself reasonably spoiler free so I was guessing Spock was going back in time to prevent the destruction of Vulcan... of course the movie ends and the Vulcan race is nearly wiped out. WTF?!

More minor quibbles of mine include the engineering hull interior (not enough money to build a proper engineering room set?), Kirk's rapid ascendancy to the rank of Captain and the lens flare. I was ready to dump on the people making an issue of it but damn, it's in almost every shot... noticeable AND annoying. Maybe they can sell a flare-free special edition DVD.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I wonder if all those protruding rocks on Vulcan were an homage to that famous rock from TOS. Looked like it.

16. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

In a nutshell; execution has nothing to do with it. You just didn't like the story line.

17. Harkonnen13

Harkonnen13 Ensign Newbie

Just saw it. There was so much cool in that couple hours. I'm going to see it again when I get some free time this upcoming week.

18. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

9.999/10

I didn't like Scotty's little friend. I thought that was pretty stupid. I also didn't like the Enterprise reference or Kirk's big hands. Other than that, this is an amazing film. The visual effects and acting were phenomenal.

19. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

you know as annoying as the lens flare was in the clips i didnt notice it as much in the theatre. i wonder if the quality of the screening system would have something to do with it.

20. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

To be frank, I can't think of anything I liked about this movie.
    [edit]Well, the Kobayashi Maru sequence was pretty funny[/edit]

Last edited: May 8, 2009