The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Professor Moriarty, Jan 17, 2008.

1. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Actually, that ain't MY, that's a concept art piece done by somebody else for TMP. It isn't a final, it isn't even an effects shot, though it looks good enough to be one.

There is a piece of film on the tram coming in that wasn't used in the film; it has the tram flying directly overhead of camera, pretty close in. The only place I've ever seen it is on the Paramount promo film, which is about 12 minutes long (basically a much longer version of the long trailer on the TMP DE dvd.) It has some other nice bits, too, but I only have it on super-8 sound film.

2. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

And why haven't you had this film transfered to DVD and "leaked" onto the net? :vulcan:

3. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I knew about the true creator of the piece, but have promised to be discrete with my knowledge.

As for that Super 8, Trev... I'd love to see it in some form someday. If even just enlargements of the frames that involve the shots you mentioned. You can email me or PM me if I can help in some way towards that end.

4. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

For those who argue that argue that we might be looking at some sort of pressurized spacedock, which for some unfathomable reason has been done in a steampunk motif, forget it. Robert Orci has already confirmed that they're building the ship on the ground, in San Francisco itself, and provided some halfassed rationalizations for why they have to do so much of the work on the ground.

As for those comparison pics, I've got a couple worked up, but I'm having problems uploading them to photobucket.

Should have 'em up shortly.

5. Meteo

Meteo Cadet Newbie

It's not a matter of what he likes. He's right about the seams, from a realistic standpoint. So what if he just overstates.

Have any real ships had huge seams?

6. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Have any real ships had shield grids?

7. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The Titanic had a huge seam. Well, right at the end.

8. Arlo

Arlo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From yesterday's live chat:

"Roberto Orci: Without giving anything away, nothing in the teaser precludes final assembly in space."

http://trekmovie.com/2008/01/25/jj-abrams-trek-team-fan-chat-transcript-pictures-from-the-set/

9. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain

"The image does leave a bad taste in my mouth, though. The saucer looks too much like TMP, "NCC" font and all."

Its the Fran Joseph font. :thumbsup:

10. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain

"Robert Orci has already confirmed that they're building the ship on the ground, in San Francisco itself, and provided some halfassed rationalizations for why they have to do so much of the work on the ground."

Mmm...

Then-

"They must follow CANON tm!"

Now-

"It not CANON because We say it isn't!"

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I'm technically impaired?

12. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

YOu're being sarcastic, right?

13. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

If you know a really GOOD transfer service, I'll use it. Just shooting it off the wall isn't good enough with images this dark, even though my projector has a 150 watt bulb. The thing is 34 years old, and it runs slow, so the sound is off, and I'd prefer doing a legit transfer of the thing before the projector eats this film.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The seam is certainly in scale with the "shield grid" on the TMP model, and is nowhere near a meter wide.

15. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

Yup! and i know of no canon source, that defines starfleet regulation on hull markings 9 years before "the Cage" and 20 years before "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

16. Arlo

Man, I would have loved it if the E was based on FJ's. The rage from some quarters here would be great fun to watch :)

17. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll save my rant on how the ranks of Star Trek fandom seems to have become overwhelmingly populated by sheep over the past decade and simply present a little compare-and-contrast pics.

Being generous, let's assume that the primary hull on the new version is the same thickness as the original ship...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/C...ro-same-siz.jpg

...and if what I suspect is the case and that sucker is four decks thick at the rim...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/C...ro-apparent.jpg

Let's get back to critiquing this travesty, and save the bashing of the abominible movie itself for more appropriate venues, 'kay? :D

Oversize images converted to links to reduce page stretching - Ptrope

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I VOW to find all page-stretchers and kick them in the balls.

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Wouldn't you be kicking them in the oblate spheroids? Or 'the pears?'

20. Arlo

I think it premature to gauge the rim height based on the teaser. Some people see 6 decks, some 4, some 3...

Personally I suspect it's just greebles to make the shot look purdy, but what do I know. We'll know in a year when the Trek XI Tech Manual comes out ;)