The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Professor Moriarty, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

The 'seams' are actually a little over a meter in width (don't believe me, just put a person from the image near one... the Galaxy class's seams ARE measured in meters). The idea that they're part of the 'shield grid' is a TNGism to explain it away - despite the fact that they're an amateur modelist's 'trick' to show scale.

2. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I myself consider Spock Must Die to be the 80th episode, but the people in this movie don't. So we're stuck with theoretically-impossible (as opposed to practically impossible) transporters than run via Plot-Device Induction.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The official trailer is up at movies.yahoo.com now. I like the look of the ship, but I think they hosed up the scale. Judging by the guys on the surface of the saucer, it looks almost twice as big as it should be. But I'm thinking (hoping) that this is *just* a teaser, and not meant to be in the final movie, and they get the final scale right.

5. Captain Intrepid

Captain Intrepid Vice Admiral Admiral

Ummmm, no, they're a modeling technique to show detail. You look at scale models of aircraft? They have rivets the size of grapefruit. If they weren't that big they wouldn't be visible.

6. Vance

I do have models of aircraft.. they don't include the rivets no more than my model space shuttle adds huge seam lines where they're not or my model ships ever had large lines to 'define scale' or had rivets THERE either.

When I see a big-ass 'seam line' or oversized rivet, or whatever, it screams 'lame-ass model' rather than bringing me into the illusion.

7. Aegis

Aegis Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like the detail work....but question whether they are building the Enterprise, or refitting it?

1. Hull number and name are visible on the hull. Painting is one of the last things you do in ship construction.

2. would fit into the timeline, refiting the ship for Pike to take command

8. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

9. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of course this will be in the movie, and yes the ship will look like this for the entire movie. :thumbsup:

Gollum's face wasn't finalized until The Two Towers.

10. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Starfleet Construction Yards - The Name Goes On Before the Quality Goes In! :D

11. Vance

I'm pretty sure that it's a trailer-only thing, though. I mean, really, the spot-welding and iron mask alone would be pretty ridiculous for the UESPA, wouldn't it? We don't build ships that way now, after all...

12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Really, I thought it was a TMPism. That is, after all, where they first appeared.

13. Vance

The TMP Enterprise has a few seams, but not many, and they're not the 'hard lines' that you see here. Probert was dead set against them, and 'capitulated' for the use of aztecing to add detail rather than the 'Star Wars' mindset of adding greeblies and panels out the wazoo.

This has the panels of a Star Wars/BSG ship, but not the Greelies (from what we see). I'm glad for that much. :)

14. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sad to see such a great trailer wasted on a shit ship.

15. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Is hate the only thing trek fans can tap into these days. :rolleyes:

16. Lord_Schtupp

Lord_Schtupp Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Seriously what's the purpose of Aztecing in the first place, other than it's supposed to make a ship look cool?

If it's the "grain" of the material used to fabricate the hull panels placed in alternating locations for strength then that would be bad from an engineering perspective. An engineer would want the grain to run parallel with the panels and perpendicular to the internal structure for max strength. Its that way in pressurized aircraft design, spacecraft should be likewise. So it cant be that IMO.

17. Lord_Schtupp

Lord_Schtupp Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

lol so that explains why we never see a USS Zenith in the federation :)

18. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

It's too regular to be grain anyway, isn't it?

I think of it as some sort of exotic energy dispersion outer layer, 'grown' on top of the hull panels themselves to try and disperse the energy of disruptors/whatever away from the hull. Almost every Starfleet ship that we've seen has one (even the TOS Constitution in IAMD, though it's subtle--and thus, pretty IMO), so it has to serve some purpose.

Artistically, I'll take it over Star Wars/BSG-style hull detailing. While I feel that the aztecing on this ship is a bit too high-contrast for my tastes, I much prefer it to what I was half-afraid of: an Enterprise with a Star Destroyer type greeble-coated hull.

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Damn straight.

20. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

My take on all this stuff....

Had a 100% copy of the TOS ship been in the Teaser....
    The "Unwashed Masses" would of LAUGHED at the Teaser....
    Aren't Star Trek fans sick of the "Unwashed Masses" makeing fun of us after all these years ?
    Why give them even more fuel to fire at us ?
    I love the old ship as much as the next person, but lets face it, the "Unwashed Masses" see it as a joke still.
    You know it's true, don't fool yourself.
    When I saw this teaser at the local theater, not one person laughed, zero, nada, in fact I hear whispers that seem to indicate that these people were curious as to what they just saw, so the teaser did do it's job, yes ?
    We need to relize this film isn't being made for us, it's being made for the "Unwashed Masses" so everything isn't going to look like 1966 no matter what.
    We can't go home again, ever, for better or worse.
    The "Star Wars Fans" would so egg on us if the 1966 version showed up on the big screen in a Star Trek movie made for 2008 and you know they wouldn't let up, ever.
    So we're stuck with this from this point forward.
    Part of this is Star Trek's fault, had "Enterprise" not looked MORE advanced then the old ship we wouldn't even BE in this situation in the first place, and try as we might we can't decanonize that show, well, except maybe TATV ;)

- W -
    * Sorry, someone had to say it, folks *