The Last of Us

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AlphaMan, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Completed the game,

wow just wow, what a game ;)

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

About how long would you say it is? I just recently got to Pittsburgh. I feel like there's no way I'm even close to the end.

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^ hmmm not sure 12 hours minimum I say but could go to 15 hours+ - lose track of time playing it.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You've still got a ways to go. I was already quite a ways past Pittsburg when I hit 56%. I played about 3 or 4 hours after that, but I didn't get a chance to see my percentage.
    It shows you you're percentage when you select your save file.

5. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished it late Saturday/ early Sunday. If you go to BONUSES on the pause menu and then STATISTICS, you'll see your total time played stat. My first playthrough was 19 hours. That was so much more than a game. Definitely more than a movie. It was an experience.

The sounds were superb. Things like the sounds of your footsteps when you run from a Clicker... The sound of a dog barking in the background.. The birds chirping... These things are so subtle, but it totally added to the immersion factor.

With the foreknowledge that Grand Theft Auto V will be out later this year, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that this will be 2013's Game if the Year.... Or at least a strong contender.

I'm about 9 hours into a new Game Plus mode. I can't get enough if this!!

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished it this afternoon. That was a hell of an ending. Great in terms of character and story, but on moral grounds..... I honestly don't know what I would do in that situation.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think I played too much the first day. I am not a gamer, by any means, so those 8 hours did me in. I'm playing in random 20-30 minute intervals now. Just fell down an elevator shaft. Things are dark and scary and monsters keep killing me.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Still plugging away. I just started "Spring" tonight. Powered through some infected monsters, and now I'm making my way through the hospital. This game really is incredible. I loved the giraffes in Salt Lake City. With humans mostly out of the way, the rest of the animal kingdom is taking back the world, and that's a really neat thing to see.

Anywho, I had to put the game down for the night, and I probably won't be able to play any more of it until Monday. I can tell I'm nearing the end, and it's really bumming me out. This game has been so fun. It's one of the only games I've ever played where I revel in the slow parts because I just enjoy walking around and taking in the scenery. The detail is incredible.

9. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished it the other day and clocked in at 21+ hours.
    Fantastic game 10/10.

10. AlphaMan

I started a Survivor play through and it is pretty bitchin'!

You get less supplies and your enemies seem to have eyes in the back of their heads. I managed to get as far as the College Campus, but I don't then k I can go any further. I have 2 shots in my Shorty, no health and in a room with 6 Clickers and a Bloater. I need to find more ammo somehow. I must be missing something. I missed about 5 shiv doors because I didn't have a frickin' shiv.

I'll probably start over. :(

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I started playing it yesterday.

Possibly best cinematography out of any game ever made.

I'm still early in the game, but how long before the handholding stops? I want to get to the part of the game where there isn't an NPC leading you around by the nose, when does that happen?

No matter how great all the other aspects of a game are handholding is a dealbreaker for me.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Not sure what you mean. Exactly how far along are you?

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm still very near the beginning so admittedly not enough of a sample to tell if this handholding continues.

But I got several hours into Uncharted 2 and it was all either a tutorial section or there were NPCs telling you 'Go here! Now go here! Now shoot that guy!' I'm hoping Last Of Us doesn't turn into that, and there are more parts of the game where you're just on your own.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, there are definitely parts where you just have to follow other characters around. They lead you through the story. But there's plenty of running around by yourself.

15. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jeez, the "clickers" are annoying.

16. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Enjoying the game so far, just reached "Winter". Only problem I'm having is my system doesn't want me to update to version 1.01 without resetting or claiming it can't connect to the internet. Not sure what it fixes, but I haven't had any issues so far.

17. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ There was a bug where the game would stop saving your progress. If you went into the main menu and it said "autosaving, please wait" rather than "less than x minutes ago." for a very long time, you got the glitch. Exiting the game sort of helped, but some people lost quite a bit of progress. It happened to me, but luckily I only lost about 15 minutes.

18. AlphaMan

I've been dying to talk spoilers about this game with someone who played and finished. If you haven't finished this game I strongly urge that you not read any further.

About the last scene between Joel and Ellie I was wondering what you think about it. I think Ellie was remembering all the people that sacrificed their lives to get her to the Fireflies. She was ready to give her life for a cure for mankind. And Joel lied to her. Not only did he lie, but he killed the surgeon who may possibly be the only person that can fashion a cure. I have a lot of friends who played this game that doesn't have kids and they all see Joel as evil for what he did. But every parent that I know thats finished the game doesn't see it that way. They look at it as Joel giving Ellie a chance to have a good life. He was actually protecting her. For all intents and purposes, we don't know if that surgeon could've fashioned a cure from Ellie's brain. What if he tried and failed to find a cure and not the only and best hope is now dead? No way would I have consented to such a procedure. I think that if I were Joel, I would've done the same thing. There's no way I would let them kill an innocent life just because everyone else's life is fucked up. If there was a way to keep her safe and have a happy and full life that was the answer. She Should make the choice herself. After she's had kids. The rest of humanity would've had to wait until she was old and ready to go. And Joel did the right thing by lying to her.

There's no way Marlene could've had her best interest at heart. Ellie's bullshit detector is too good. You can tell that she knows Joel lied to her, But she's willing to let sleeping dogs lie. This ending was awesome.

Well??

Oh, and

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have mixed feelings about the ending. On the one hand, I get it. On the other hand, what a selfish asshole! :lol:

20. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Actually, it was all the people she knew who got infected and died since she was bitten, hence her strong motivation to help create a vaccine.

You don't actually have to kill him apparently. It's funny how many people just shot him, or even the whole medical staff, and assumed that's just what you were supposed to do.

As for the rest of the ending, I can't help but think its worth saving the life of the one person who's willing to lay down her life for the rest of humanity over the people willing to kill a young girl to save themselves.
    I really wish I could play this game myself, rather than having to watch let's plays of it. :(