The Last of Us

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AlphaMan, Jun 5, 2013.

1. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This PS3 exclusive is due on Jun 14 and I can hardly wait. It's a post apocalyptic world where the cordyceps fungus has adapted to effect humans and it basically results in the collapse of society. Uninfected humans set up these safe zones across what's left of the United States without any passage between them. Your character is Joel, a grizzled middle aged man who is contracted to move a young girl named Ellie from one safe zone to another.

I guess the Embargo was lifted today because about 50 reviews have hit the web today... Most of them are 10 out of 10 or it's equivelent. Right now, this game is on pace to be the highest review game of 2013 so far, the second highest being Bioshock Infinite.

If you happen to have a copy of God of War Ascension laying around, you can download a 10-15 minute demo... I've played it about 8 times already.

Here's IGN.com's review:

You guessed it. 10 out of 10.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/the-last-of-us-review

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I've had my eye on this one since it was first announced and will almost certainly pick it up at some point...just not for the £38 price that Amazon are currently charging. I can wait for the GotY edition. ;)

3. Vulcan Logician

Vulcan Logician Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can't wait! It looks awesome!

4. AlphaMan

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I like what I'm hearing. I've been really wanting a new game to play.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I picked the game up from one of my local Redboxes this morning, and it definitely deserves all of those 100s. It is in-fucking-credible. It is easily one of the most well written, acted and performed video games I have ever played. The game play is great too. My main problem is I tend to get stuck in a blast away every enemy as you see them mentality when it comes to these kinds of games, and that pretty much gets you killed in this one. Taking your time and carefully picking off you enemies 1 by 1 definitely works best in this one.

7. AlphaMan

I made a mistake. I dropped my son off at the midnight showing of Man of Steel last night. I figured that I might as well stop by GameStop and pick up my Survival Edition of The Last Of Us since they were having a midnight sale. I intended to go to bed so I could go to work in the morning, come home and get started on the campaign when I got home from work.... Well... I decided to at least install the DLC and online pass before bed and... The next thing I knew, I was in the Capital Building with Joel, Ellie and Tess when my alarm clock went off. I'd pulled an inadvertent all nighter with The Last of Us.

It is by far the most immersive game I've ever played in my entire life. The sights and sounds suck you in to this world so fast and so deeply. Definite GOTY contender.

I'm going to go get some sleep now.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

This is my problem as well. I'm not a huge gamer, so I'm not big on "strategy." I see bad guys, and I just want to shoot all of them right away.

Stealth? What stealth?

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I've just completed my first full (mostly non-lethal) playthrough of Deus Ex HR, so I'm in just the right mindset for this game methinks. ;)

10. AlphaMan

You know... If this were a movie, it would be the best movie this year thus far. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson, the voice actors in this game are phenomenal actors. Still plugging away. About 6 hours in right now. I'm trying to explore every corner of this world as much as I can.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I played for about 7-8 hours yesterday, which I haven't done with a game since "Arkham Asylum" came out. This game is great, and the world is so detailed. I actually find myself enjoying some of the quieter parts of the story because it gives me a chance to just look around and take in the scenery.

My one complaint so far has to do with the weapon selection. In most games I've played, when you run out of ammo in a gun, it automatically switches to the next available weapon in your arsenal. In this game, if you run out of ammo, you have to manually go in a switch to a different weapon. This pause has resulted in me dying more than once. It just really interrupts my flow, but it's a minor complaint, and it's certainly not ruining the game for me.

My roommate asked me what this game was like, and I told him it's like a mix of "Uncharted," "The Walking Dead," and "Children of Men." His response was, "That sounds awesome!"

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

My gaming been light recently, unable to play a game for too long but Last of Us has kept me and brought be back without too much of a break :techman: though I feel it will fall short of joining my 9 out of 10 club (highest review I've ever given a game) but still a cracking adventure so far.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I kind of like that they make you switch weapons like that, and that ammo is fairly rare. It really makes the whole thing feel more realistic, and makes the fights a lot more nerve racking.
    And on another note, my PS3 seems to have stopped working, so it looks like I might now be able to finish the game. I would replace it, but I've been thinking about getting a PS4 when they come out, and if I replace my PS3 then I can't do that.
    It's unplugged now, and I was going to leave it until the morning and see if that fixes the problem. I really don't want to lose everything I have on the system.
    EDIT: I meant to tell you guys the problem in case someone had an idea how to fix it.
    Every time I turn the system on all the lights come on and it starts making internal noises, but all I get is a black screen. I checked all of the connections and that video mode on my TV and that stuff is all fine, so whatever it is the problem appears to be with the system. I've been having problems with off and on for a few months now.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Its a little unrealistic that Joel never goes through their pockets or guns ;)

15. The Johnson

The Johnson Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Give it a light kick and swear at it.

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

is it worth having a holster for a 2nd pistol? surely withy ammo being limited in the game its pointless?

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My PS3 is working again this morning.
    I'd say it's worth using your resources for a second holster. I did it and as long as you have guns with two different types of ammo (I have the handgun and the revolver) he'll automatically switch to the gun in the second holster when the first one runs out of ammo.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I was wondering if that's what happens. I need to find another one of those work benches so I can make some upgrades.

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Nearing end of game now and DAM
    that winter section was pure AWESOME :techman: really surprised how far Naughtydog has pushed it with the Ellie character and the whole fighting for her life against that madman kidnapper.

At this rate Last of Us could become my favourite Naughtydog game and one of my favourite games ever.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn.
    Is it weird that I started to get choked during the scene in the house after Ellie runs off at the hydro electric plant