The Holodeck?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Taylirious, May 3, 2014.

1. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After TOS did Star Trek rely on The Holodeck too much?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodeck

It didn't mention DS9 or VOY which used The Holodeck alot.

ETA: VOY was mentioned in this wiki later on.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  2. HIjol

HIjol Admiral and Consummate Peacemaker Premium Member

Some pretty good stories came out of the 'deck, IMHO...Dix, Moriarty, da Vinci, the episode "A Matter of Perspective", etc. ...TNG did use it a number of times, but, on balance, it was well spaced (no pun intended)...

...but how could you not laugh at Barclay's "Goddess" recreation! ;)

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Holodeck malfunctions became an overused trope, but aside from that I had no problems with the holodeck itself.

4. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

The holodeck did allow Geordi to confer with Leah Brahms, to solve an important problem and save the Enterprise. Those kind of uses--such as training exercises and target practice--were practical uses for the holodeck.

5. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

The holodeck was an easy story telling method, which allowed the writers do something completely different. Sometimes it did get old, but that can be a little subjective (ex: I didn't like Moriaty stuff or da Vinci stuff).

6. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

It's interesting to notice that The Making of Star Trek already mentioned holodeck applications, hence that "recreation room" in TAS' "Practical Joker".

Nevertheless, I think it's not too farfetched to assume that the people of Gideon ("Mark of Gideon") didn't actually build a physical replica of the TOS Enterprise but made Kirk walk a holodeck simulation his mind was somehow creating as he moved along. ;)

Bob

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Holodeck was the Star Trek writing staff's best crutch.

8. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a plot device contained in the writers' quiver, like time travel, that creates problems, solves problems, or allows for contemplation (well that may be a bit grand, perhaps just idle thought) about interesting topics encountered in 24th century existence, though by not too sophisticated extension, our own as well.

As mentioned, the overuse of the unexpected or intended consequences of technological breakdowns can certainly grow tiresome. One would think that holographic engineering would be competent enough to account for the wide range of contingencies possible, whether encountered shipboard or planetside, especially for such a multi-purpose platform that is as ubiquitous as this one is!!!

Otherwise though, I think that it is well used if the issue dealt with or character whose personality is developed or illustrated further is compelling enough.

9. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I felt that they used it too much. But I do feel that more than once or twice a series was too much.

10. Push The Button

Push The Button Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why even bother having safety protocols, they just end up getting overridden all the time anyway.

11. Timo

Timo Admiral Admiral

And that's a plausible reason for the frequency of troubles in Trek: holodecks would normally never be used by so many people who have administrator rights to them! A "normal" user would not have the means to abuse the holotech the way our high-ranking, engineering-savvy heroes do.

Timo Saloniemi

12. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

In-universe the holodecks will probably mainly be used for private recreational purposes, so IMO it was way overused as a plot device already in TNG.

However, I did enjoy the few times the crew used a holodeck to solve problems, like the ones already mentioned. My personal favorites are the uses in Schisms and Identity Crisis - to me two of the best scenes in all of TNG.

Mario

13. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

As I recall, the Star Trek Tech Manual said that the primary purpose for the holodecks aboard the Enterprise was for "training." Recreational use would be available when it wasn't being used for official reasons.

Deanna's bridge officer exam would be one example.

It's interesting that the holodecks didn't seem to be booked solid, when LaForge wanted to create the simulation that included Leah Brahams, he didn't need to kick anyone out to gain access to that particular holodeck.

Maybe they're really not that popular with the crew?

:)

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I don't mind the holodeck being used briefly (a few minutes) in an episode for recreational or educational purposes, but more than that and it becomes "Holodeck Trek" for me...

15. Timo

Timo Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't the ship have been on alert at the time, though?

Alerts are supposed to be heard even through holosimulations, as per "11001001". Presumably, everybody would be required to shout "Computer: save and close!" and rush to their stations - or possibly the holoprograms would automatically save and close when an alert is signaled.

Timo Saloniemi

16. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was the holodeck used too often instead of having "exploring" episodes? Absolutely, I wouldn't even contest that. I'll also throw in that most of the holodeck programs were surprisingly lame and cheap-looking. On TNG it seemed like a little too much luxury, to be really honest. ENTERPRISE-D was lavishly appointed, this kind of diversion wasn't really necessary. As Holosuites on a cramped DS9, they made a little more sense. Even on VOYAGER, it would've been acceptable, because of the pressures the crew was under, being unable to get home. Having said that, I always wished there'd been more DIXON HILL stories, there seemed to be some lost opportunity there ...

17. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

Holotrek is some of the best trek. Overused? Maybe. But if I had a holodeck I'd run it all the time too. :techman:

I'll never forget the creepy holo-investigations from "Identity Crisis" and "Schisms". And "Our Man Bashir" is an incredible episode!

18. HIjol

HIjol Admiral and Consummate Peacemaker Premium Member

Completely agree on the "Dixon Hill" episode uptick, but, unless my eyes were cheated by some spell, I thought the "holo-sets" were pretty complete and looked like some money got spent on them... 'Course, I got old eyes, so it could be wishful memory... :)

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Honestly, aside from the HMS Enterprise in Generations, the holodeck does often come off as cheap. That's probably unfair, most of the time they have to make do with limited TV budgets, while Generations had enough of a motion picture budget to get them their own boat.

20. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

Cheap as in low production values? Compared to the average planet-set? Sorry, but I don't see it.
    The period-piece holoprograms could use existing props instead of hastily constructed cardboard "alien architecture".