"The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 10, 2012.

?

How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?

1. Excellent

147 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Good

61 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Fair

26 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Poor

12 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Terrible

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."

[​IMG]

Christopher Nolan's epic conclusion to The Dark Knight trilogy is nearly upon us.

Early press screenings have already happened and the buzz so far is overwhelmingly positive. Geoff Boucher of the L.A. Times has already seen the film and had this to say, "The third act of the third film delivers a series of jolting twists and jarring turns and an exclamation point climax. Nolan’s finale takes Batman and his on-screen mythology to a place it has never been before."

You can read more about the early screenings here. The link compiled some of the first reaction thoughts to the film:

Another article expounds on the early screenings and how the audience gave the film a standing ovation. Here are more thoughts:

Adding a retrospective twist to the proceedings, I have written two pieces on my blog, taking a trip down memory lane and reminsicing about being an eager fan waiting for the previous two installments: here's Waiting for Batman, all about the buildup to Batman Begins, and Before The Dawn, an account of how I followed the production of The Dark Knight while it filmed in my own city of Chicago.

As July 20th nears closer, I'll add more reviews and first impressions. Suffice to say, the next two weeks should be exciting if not a little unbearable for some of us. One or two more than others. ;)

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

At least you only have to wait 10 more days. I have to wait 18 more days! :scream:

3. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Dan, my great friend, it's hard to believe it's been seven bloody years since Batman Begins came out. I remember reading the script after you sent it to me and being genuinely impressed by it. I recall thinking that no live action Batman movie could possibly be that friggin' good.

I was wrong.

That being said... its hard to believe it's already over. From the looks of things they're going out with a big bang. Tonight... I watch Batman Begins and The Dark Knight on Blu-ray and look back on good times.

And look forward to one more great time at the movies next week. It's been a fun journey, Dan.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I can't believe it's been four years. I've been looking forward to this since I stepped out of the theatre after The Dark Knight in 2008.

Here's a quote I found...

"I love the costume because everything has a purpose, nothing is in place for fantasy's sake, and that's the case with everything in Christopher Nolan's Gotham City." - Anne Hathaway on her Catwoman costume.

[​IMG]

I think the goggles that lift up to coinidentally look like cat ears is genius. I've tried to figure out how they'd do a more grounded Catwoman costume and couldn't come up with anything. I think it would have been better though if they gave her a full head piece along with those lift-up goggles instead of a face mask and lift-up goggles.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The wait is finally almost over. We've reached "The Dark Knight Rises" week!!! Can hardly wait. Listened to the score so many times already! I probably won't be seeing it until Friday or Saturday, but most likely on the weekend.

6. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

48 hours to go here in New Zealand. Might be time to buy a ticket!

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Official reviews are coming out as the embargo has been lifted, people will be seeing screenings and midnight showings here in a couple of days I think it's time to let this thread roll and to lock down the anticipation thread.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

You know for a very long time fans have wanted the superhero genre treated with some measure of respectability. It came eventually in fits and starts over the years. The '78 Superman was pretty much the first step and to date is possibly the best overall treatment of Supes for the big screen. Unfortunately aspects of that film now come across as quite dated yet even so it's still better than what followed to this day for Superman as live-action.

The '89 Batman was the next step for respectability, but sadly things faltered badly after that.

It wouldn't be until the early 2000s for the next major try for respectability with The X-Men and Sam Raimi's Spider-Man. With those it felt like the genre had finally hit the mark. If done well and with a good measure of respect for the subject matter than the superhero genre could pay off, and big.

Since then it's been a near steady parade of superhero films, each trying to top the previous effort in some way or other. Yeah, it's been hit-and-miss, but generally we really haven't had too much to complain about. The Avengers is (presently) the culmination of the superhero genre. But...if you really think it about even that film shares an element with everything that preceded it: a tongue-in-cheek mentality that never really forgets it's all in fun. And there's nothing wrong with that.

But mixed within this parade of superhero flicks Chris Nolan decided to take it up a notch or two and treat the genre really seriously. His Batman trilogy has its lighter moments, but in general Nolan is out to make a different impression. He took arguably the most credible and among the most iconic of superheroes and treated it as (mostly) real as he could do it. Nolan wanted to play with ideas generally beyond the genre and ask questions and invite the audience to think after the action was done with. His aim seemed to be to leave a distinct impression beyond, "That was fun! What's next?

Essentially Nolan seems to have wanted to fashion a film experience that could work for the mainstream as well as the superhero genre. And with his first two Batman films I think he did that. Now it's looking like TDKR seals the deal. Nolan's trilogy has put the superhero genre on a whole other level than everything that's preceded it. It just might have crossed over into mainstream drama.

Other superhero films can be quite good and a helluva lotta fun, resonating with what we love in superhero comics. But Nolan has finally brought that measure of respectability to the genre many fans have hoped for for so long.

His certainly isn't the only way to do superheroes satisfactorily, but then he's chosen to play in a different sandbox.

I am really looking forward to seeing The Dark Knight Rises.

10. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I read a couple of negative reviews and they really do not put me off of the movie at all except for one thing:

I will put it here in a spoiler box because I don't want to ruffle any feathers and would rather play it safe. The spoiler is not about the plot

"It is said that it is hard to understand the dialog at times and the problem is not just with Bane but other characters in the movie too. I had the same problem with the Dark Knight. In a few scenes with Gary oldman he seems to mumble, especially in the office with Harvey Dent and when he is in the bank vault with Batman. I hope we reaqlly don't have the same problem!"

11. Agent Richard07

I was hoping to remain spoiler free until Thursday night but I caught another clip during a Morgan Freeman interview. It hinted at Bruce's condition. I hope that's the last bit of spoiler info I get.

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Ebert's review.

Keep in mind he gave four stars to each of the other two films

13. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Ebert's review was by no means negative. He just wasn't masturbating to it. It sounds like he pretty much enjoyed it. Especially the second half.

14. Trekker4747

15. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Ha! I'm putting that on my facebook.

16. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'm looking forward to seeing it tomorrow morning. Gonna watch The Dark Knight later tonight. I know several people attending midnight screenings tonight.

17. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

'Dark Knight Rises' Fans Force Rotten Tomatoes To Suspend Commenting On Reviews

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...en-tomatoes-commenting-reviews_n_1682209.html

18. Agent Richard07

:rommie:

I saw the whole Rush Limbaugh thing. Even if he's taking the Bain/Bane stuff too seriously, it really is a pretty timely and funny coincidence.

Moving along, I was reading the trivia section for The Dark Knight Rises at the IMDb and thought I'd post some of what was there...

I also read that Natalie Portman was considered for the role of Selena Kyle, but I don't know if that's true or not.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm going to see the movie Saturday Morning and I can't wait. Bought advance tickets yesterday and so far I've remained spoiler free.

My one concern, however, is the run time. For some reason I see that it's close to 3 hours long and wonder if there will be some plodding parts. Hopefully those feelings are unfounded.

20. Trekker4747

It's 2 hours and 45 minutes long, only 10 minutes longer than it predecessor, 25 minutes longer than Batman Begins and 20 minutes longer than The Avengers.

I don't think it'll be that bad.