The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's kind of weird. I mean, I could use a minute and a half worth of clips from a movie under critics' protection, why is a trailer, which consists of a minute and a half worth of clips from a movie, different? Is a trailer considered a distinct work? If so, why?

This without getting into the questionable wisdom of putting a blackout order on an advertisement.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, for one thing, Warner Bros. wants people to go see Harry Potter this weekend. And if they can squeeze a few more dollars out of those showings by getting Batman fans hungry for anything Bat-related into the theatres, they'll take it.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Heh, now that's a desperate fan. Seriously, are there really people who'll spend $9.00+ to see a movie, they're not interested in, just to see a trailer for another movie, that'll be available online within a week anyways?

I suppose I could see if you were semi-interested in the movie, and hemming and hawing and the addition of the trailer tips you into going.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I suppose another reason is that by keeping the trailer a somewhat exclusive event (only showing at theatres until Monday) it's providing buzz about it (i.e., "Did you see the new Batman trailer?") that wouldn't be as widespread if it was just showing online.

But who really knows what Warner Bros. marketing reasons are. It's not like it's being held back for long -- it will only be for three days -- so it's not really a big deal to me.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I'm not proud of it, but I paid to see Wing Commander just because of the TPM trailer that was attached. :p

(Of course, in retrospect, I think Wing Commander might have actually been the better movie)

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well...I wouldn't go that far.

People doing this happened often enough in 1999 that it was reported in stories about The Phantom Menace, but with the rise of faster internet connections and streaming video, I doubt nearly as many people are flocking to see the trailer for The Dark Knight Rises. It's not like Harry Potter is a small film franchise or anything.

Still...maybe some are.

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

What's so bad about Wing Commander? Sure the story sucks, and you've got Freddie Prinze, Jr, but, it's also got Matthew Lilliard, who's always great, and David Warner.

So, if you forget about Freddie Prinze, Jr and the Story, the rest of it is pretty decent. ;)

8. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, I remember downloading the Phantom Menace trailer. On a dial-up modem. It took forever and the image quality was pathetic by today's standards but you were glad to have it.

I watched it again and again. Fuzzy images of floating tanks moving across grassy plains are a thing of memory now.

And the acting, the writing generally, the special effects, the action. The Phantom Menace is the better movie simply by dint of the fact it at least looks pretty; the dire Wing Commander has no such saving grace.

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

TDKR Bootleg Teaser Video/Images

http://forums.superherohype.com/announcement.php?f=218&a=161

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The opening credits were pretty awesome, though.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well from what I remember (which admittedly isn't much), Wing Commander at least had a spirit of lighthearted FUN to it.

That to me counts more than any amount of flashy special effects.

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember MTV announced the exact time they'd be showing the trailer and I recorded it. I also watched it again and again. I even remember that Ulrika Eriksson (remember her? she was cute) was the VJ who introduced it and then raved about it afterwards.

13. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks. That answered every legal question I posed and then went and explained the difference between copyright and trademark. I feel totally and completely edified.

14. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The trailer was awesome -- in some respects, it made it hard to concentrate on HP initially.

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw a crappy version on Youtube. It was hard to make out the dialogue.

There's also a fake trailer ( complete with fake audience LOL ).

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just waiting for word it's been posted online.

17. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

There's loads up on youtube now, good quality as well.

Edit: No, I got taken in by a (good quality) fake,epic Bat-fail.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  18. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

The teaser trailer is now online!

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is there a youtube version of the actual trailer?

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

looks like they got rid of his cowl ears.

It almost looks like he is about to fight Bane in some kind of underground Thunderdome-like tournament