The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know about critics being corrupt but I am tired of their "I'm better than you because I flunked out of film school" shtick. Their so called "criticism" is just meaningless and usually a sign of them trying to live their vicariously through their reviews or worse putting down a film because it was successful/popular. Some one should tell these morons that no one wants to make another "Bonnie and Clyde", "Easy Rider" or "Chinatown" and no one wants to watch them.

"The Dark Knight Rises" doesn't need to be reviewed. Chris Nolan has a record of excellence and I don't mind spending $12 on the movie.

2. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

OK, I'm very excited now. Can't wait to see it.

If it's as awesome as I'm hoping, it's time to start talking about Greatest Trilogies lists. Just watched BB and planning to watch TDK tomorrow. Fantastic Batman stories, great movies.

And if it is that awesome, hopefully Batman will take a break for a little while and give us all some time to soak up this interpretation before starting a new film series. Don't want a re-boot too soon with Batman.

Trek and Superman are up to bat.

3. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And they all have small penises, I bet!

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This is nuts. After all is said and done it's all just a matter of opinion. I've certainly disliked films critics loved and liked films critics panned. Who cares???

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The psychopaths on Rotten Tomatoes who threaten critics?

The tin foil hat wearers on TrekBBS?

There was someone who used to post here whose name I forgot, but he said Roger Ebert was a tool for not liking what he liked. :shrug: The movie in question? Stealth!

6. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHGMLXPgoU8&feature=plcp[/yt]

7. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

Er, both "Chinatown" and "Bonnie and Clyde" are amazing movies and I love to watch them both. "Easy Rider" not so much, too much a product of its time, dated, and mostly plotless.

And I love Christopher Nolan movies, the Batman ones and the other ones. I don't know what this makes me.:confused:

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

That's a caricature of my argument that you've repeated twice now, not the one I've been making. You claimed that the movie reviewing system was "amazingly corrupted." For this to be true, you would expect the Hollywood studios to be able to exert enough influence to be able to get good reviews for bad movies. By and large, however, they can't even get mixed reviews for those movies, which is why studios regularly release bad movies without screening them to critics. I'm sorry I even brought up the manufactured film critic, which you've fixated on as a way of eliding this point.

This debate began when you claimed that movie reviewers were required by the studios to omit certain items in their reviews. This surprised me, and I asked for evidence of its veracity. So far, you've provided none. It still interests me, however, and I'd be happy to read about it if you can direct my attention to the appropriate place.

The rest of your post seems to be under the impression that I have ambitions to be a part of the film industry (I once did, but haven't for several years), as well as arguing over semantics. Scratch reaction for observation if you'd like. My point is no different.

Lastly, I've done my best to keep this conversation respectful. However, this is difficult when you see fit to call me "irate" and "deluded." I might very well be the latter, but I draw exception to the former.

Easy Rider is mostly plotless, but I can't help but enjoy it. It has a rocking soundtrack, and a great supporting turn from Jack Nicholson. Bonnie and Clyde, as influential as it is, has always bored me. I should probably view it again at some point.

9. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

what are your thoughts on Chinatown?

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Love it. Polanski, Towne, and Nicholson at their best. Goldsmith's score is perfect; the cinematography is excellent (it's no surprise that the best lensed Star Trek movie was shot by the same DP). I've never mustered up the courage to see The Two Jakes, though.

11. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

It's not a bad movie at all, it's not the masterpiece that Chinatown is of course, but it's entertaining. As a director Jack Nicholson is more craftsman and less artist than Roman Polanski but his performance is a lot of fun. I'll be damned if I remember what the story was about though...

12. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Chinatown and Easy Rider, each in their own way are both excellent, unforgettable movies. Can't speak for Bonnie and Clyde, as I have yet to see it, though I expect the same can be said of it.

Watching Batman Begins & The Dark Knight on DVD today, leaving only The Dark Knight Rises for either Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Won't be that hard to get into a matinee (didn't have any trouble getting in to see The Avengers), especially if I arrive early enough.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Writing is meaningful to those who enjoy it, just as movies are, and not to those who don't.

Professional critics get paid to do what they do because they write well enough and know enough about film - not necessarily just those movies or genres that are their particular hobbyhorses - to entertain an audience of sufficient size that their salaries are worthwhile to their employers.

So some people get angry that writers who have earned some following actually get public attention for expressing their opinions? So what?

Of course, if one is a fan who has no particular abilities for which someone will pay but does have a craving for attention one can set up a webcam or something and post lengthy, lame "reviews" to Youtube.

Ebert's review of TDKR looks just about right; he gave it three stars, not as high as TDK which he described as "near perfect."

Beyond which, if you imagine that Nolan's Batman movies will be as highly regarded or remembered thirty years from now as Chinatown then you'll gladly plunk down your money for a bridge I own in New York. Go enjoy the movie; buy the merchandise.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  14. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, I just rewatched TDK, and it is far from perfect. As has been noted frequently before - 1) it ends too many times, 2) its first ending (the ferries/ hostage/ cell phone extravaganza) has pacing problems - though is saved somewhat by Joker's gleeful, "and I won't kill you - because you're just too much fun" at its close, and 3) its second ending, while emotionally satisfying, doesn't really make much sense - especially in light of where the story apparently goes in TDKR.

It's interesteing to hear from reviewers that TDKR seems to reverse the trend of Nolan's two earlier Batman films - where the first halves are engrossing and the second halves are muddled with too much going on and somewhat non-sensical motivations are driving things.

I expect from TDKR, though, the same reaction I had to initial viewings of the other two films - pleasurable surprise at Nolan's balls for what he's willing to do within the limited field of the superhero movie genre, frissions of near-depth on social issues (though he, like most people dealing with trying to get at social issues in a story with a wealthy vigilante hero, often find themselves in questionable moral positions - kudos to him though for acknowledging the questionableness of the moraility), some confusion as to how and why people are doing things, and the knowledge that subsequent viewings are not going to match the first one. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight certainly suffer under the weight of familiarity, though both have stunning moments that are generally worth the rewatch. I expect a couple of those out of TDKR too.

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

If you haven't seen the film, how can you assume Ebert's review is "just about right"? This is just the usual knee-jerk Ebert worship.

Nice try, but he said: "And there’s discussion out there as to whether or not this was purposeful". Which is typical GOP playbook: ginning up the base with outright ( easily debunked ) lies.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  16. Shakaar

Shakaar Captain Captain

I didn't TRY anything, I just pointed out the facts. If this was Rush's idea, then how were there newspaper articles about it BEFORE he ever said anything? Why did Chuck Dixon come out and declare that he himself was a lifelong hardcore right-winger and the idea was ridiculous BEFORE Rush said anything?

Anyway, back on topic, I must say I'm REALLY looking forward to this film and will definitely be sitting in an IMAX tomorrow. Nolan has earned my complete confidence, at this point, with any film he wants to make. Since Batman has ALWAYS been my preferred comic character, this movie is a no-brainer for me.:)

17. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Off to the midnight showing in a little bit! Who else is going to a midnight show? :D

18. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I really want to, but there's a decent chance that the Hasbro San Diego Comiccon exclusives will be up for sale online at the wee hours of tomorrow morning. So I have to choose between Batman and sleep...

19. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Given some of the comments you've made about the film that you haven't seen I don't think you can really thrown any stones here.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Chuck Dixon has a big mouth and is trying to get some of that media attention to sell books.