The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 8, 2008.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

79.4%
  2. Above Average

13.5%
  3. Average

5.0%
  4. Below Average

0.6%
  5. Poor

1.5%
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

WHAT other ones? ;) Green Arrow?

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That wasn't Tom Berenger, rather it was Eric Roberts.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

CRAP! I always get those two mixed up. Sorry. :(

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved the movie, though some of the dialogue was a bit too pointed.

I think the best thing about the film is that filmmakers are going to realize that the story is what epople see not anything flashy. The action in the film was very authentic, without any standout CGI or anything like that. It was 't a lot of action and it didn't take away from the story, instead it added to the investment people had into the characters. Hopefully this will start a trend away from the overuse of CGI... it should only be a tool, not the reason to see a film

5. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Yeah. I had a hard time my first time out figuring out who he was too. I'm more familiar with Tom Berenger (thanks to his work in Platoon). It took me quite a while to recognize Boss Moroni as Mr. Bennett's boss on Heroes. The easiest way to tell the difference is that Roberts is a lot smarmier.

For that matter, I went through 2 whole viewings of the film without recognizing the guy who played Holtz on Angel Season 3.

6. amdmiami

amdmiami Commander Red Shirt

So I finally saw this film today with some friends and let me say that I was not dissapointed. The movie lived up to its hipe and exceded my expectations. Ledger was creepy and that weird lip smaking noise he mad added a lot more to his character. I also loved the Harvey Dent side plot. To bad he can't be the big villain in the next movie.

7. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Not necessarily. Eckhart had said he's interested in returning. Some people seem to think Batman stashed Dent somewhere.

8. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

There wasn't a lot of character development. Dent? Joker even had not enough character development. In fact one of my favorite things about the Joker was his origin story. I really wish they had tied that into Batman.

Gordon didn't have a lot of development. So catching Joker promoted him to commish? Hmm. I wish there was more to that, then here ya go, here's the commish part. That felt rushed and latched on, that they had to do it.

Actually, I was going into the Dark Knight hoping I liked it. I did like the Joker a LOT more than I expected. The trailers didn't do him justice at all. But...Dent? I was hoping more from him. A lot more. The film felt oddly paced and just...not good.

Because you can't simply separate the mediums, which portray the characters. In fact one of my favorite, FAVORITE movies is Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. That was one of my favorite cartoon movies as well. It took the character we knew from the cartoons and did something that we all hoped it did. I also liked the pace and style of the Long Halloween. I liked the Animated Series a lot. I like what they did to guys like Dent and to the Joker in those.

9. Thespeckledkiwi

Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter...The Lantern Corp and what they are doing now is fascinating. I also like some of the obscure characters. The New Blue Beetle is fun. I am highly anticipating Ambush Bug and seeing what they do with him. I like the JSA a lot as well.

Green Lantern Corp though is one of my favorites.

Aquaman is even worse then those trio...I have started enjoying Batman more lately. The RIP has me intrigued on where they are going. I don't like what they did with his son or what they did to the New Robin.

10. Thespeckledkiwi

This I can agree with. One of the most outstanding things about the Dark Knight is the limited use of CGI.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't. I love The Killing Joke, I really do, but I prefer the idea that nobody knows who the Joker used to be, or where he came from. It doesn't matter how he became the Joker, or why. The Joker simply is.
    They didn't have to. Honestly, I was expecting Gordon to be a Captain (or whatever comes after Lieutenant in police ranks) in this one, and become Commissioner either at the end or in the third movie. But his promotion here didn't feel tacked on; with Commissioner Loeb gone, Gordon was the best, cleanest, and most qualified officer the GCPD had left.

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Same here. The voice, and to some degree the whole Batman look when we get too good a look at him, just takes me right out of the movie. Visually and aurally, he's just a little too...unsubtle for the otherwise-realistic world around him.

Lord of the Rings.

Get outta that!

And...that's a good thing...?

I just saw it on a second-weekend Sunday afternoon, and the theater was I'd say 70-80% full...enough to make me sit in the fifth row not to have to stumble over people to find a center seat.

I have to say, the pacing was excellent. I never looked at my watch (cell phone, actually, I stopped wearing a watch...and yes, the ringer was off), and the movie surprised me more than once when I thought things were due to wind down and out popped the next phase of the Joker's scheme.

Not necessarily. A girl can't have the same name as her daughter?

13. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually...yes.

When I saw TDK for the second time on Saturday, I was paying more attention to the music, and I was struck by the soundtrack's effective use of this two-note motif. It generally played right when the action was about to ramp up, or when the Batman was about to do something particularly spectacular or dangerous--when he was about to drop onto the Scarecrow's car, for example. I found it quite effective.

I also realized that the Joker's "theme" consisted of just one prolonged, discordant note, which I also found quite effective. It generally played as the Joker began to put one of his evil schemes into motion, as a way of putting you on edge and building suspense.

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^I was referring to the whole brooding/emo image, not the music itself.

I think that was meant to add a bit of pathos--Dent wouldn't have killed the kid, but Batman couldn't have known that.

I don't get the need for some to think Dent might have survived--that would render the end of this movie meaningless.

"Always"? Haven't read much '50s/'60s Batman, have we...?

15. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Actually, uh, yeah, you can. Blade, for example, is a wholly different take on the material than its comic source, and yet they're both wholly valid interpretations -- just as last year's Transformers wasn't hurt in any way by Optimus Prime being a Peterbilt truck instead a cab-over.

Just because The Dark Knight didn't translate, beat-for-beat, your favorite comic stories and origins, doesn't make it any less of a movie. Try criticizing the movie based on what it was.

16. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

You mean that you could hear the audio and dialogue in all scenes? When I saw it there were times when the music overshadowed the scenes and dialogue.

17. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The music that particularly killed scenes for me (I think it happened twice) was when the music was really high pitched violins that got higher and higher and then it peaked and stayed there forever. I hated when it hit the top and didn't drop back down.

18. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow.

TDK made more money in 10 days than Indie made in 9 weeks.

LOL!

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

The same can be said about a lot of movies. Don't gang up Indy alone, okay?

Hell, The Dark Knight was a few hundred grand short of Iron Man which has been out longer than Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls. ;)

20. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

So what? Many other films have made less money than Indy did.

:rolleyes: