The Borg in JJverse

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by los2188, Oct 18, 2012.

1. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

I happened to be looking at some old Star Trek trailers and I came upon one of my favourite trailers First Contact and it made me to start thinking, which is a very dangerous thing of course. ;) I would agree with most everyone, presumably, that the Borg has been used way too much in TNG/Voyager era, but......but...can any of you see the Borg being used in any way in the JJ-Verse? I mean would there be an appropriate or good way to use them that wouldn't be boring or seen as just over used? If so...how would you bring them back??

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

A very different kind of Borg (although never referred to by name, as in ENT: "Regeneration") already appeared in the prequel novel Starfleet Academy: The Delta Anomaly. It was some kind of advanced scout hiding out in San Fransisco, and made some very interesting use of it's nanotechnology.

As for bringing the Borg back to film, I'd love to see what CG and a big budget could do. No longer would the Borg be guys in rubber suits and make-up, but using CG, body parts could be replaced or removed. Imagine a Borg drone without a bottom jaw, with moving machinery inside his torso, stick thin atrophied limbs skewered with machine parts. Steampunk zombies.

As for why they would be interested in the Alpha Quadrant "early".... maybe long-range Borg sensors detected the temporal distortions upon Nero or Spock's arrivals. Or maybe Narada's Borg-derived technology (see: Countdown) sent out a homing signal. Any excuse could be made, or extrapolated by fans.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the past I've said enough already, lets have something new. But thinking on it the Borg are one of my favorite villains, I never got bored with them like I did the Klingons. kingDaniel's point about looking better (and scarier) is a good one. I'd like to see them again.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm done with the Borg. Way too overused.

I'll still enjoy the early episodes they were in, but I sure as hell won't pay to see a movie with them again.

5. teacake

I still get the chills when a cube appears and we hear their announcement.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"All your base are belong to us"?

7. teacake

:: slaps the cheerleader ::

No assimilation for YOU!

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I don't think zombies can be assimilated! :p

9. teacake

Oh I'm sure they have a few spare parts worth stashing away.

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

As a zombie I'm halfway to being a Borg anyway.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Hello, we're from Amway, do you have a few minutes?

:)

12. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd both be curious to see a portrayal of the Borg in the alternate timeline and dread it.

Above all I feel we'd need a compelling reason for their appearance, and I'm hard-pressed to imagine what that would be.

13. teacake

And there's the rub.

Hopefully everything has a compelling reason and doesn't just get shoehorned into NuTrek.

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they're going to bring back the Borg, they need to be treated with respect. If they're supposed to be so fearsome, the writing needs to validate that idea, not undercut it.

Starfleet cannot be allowed to beat them except under very unusual circumstances, ie, the writers come up with a way for Starfleet to be astonishingly clever about it. And even then, this should happen rarely.

And assimilation is P E R M A M E N T. No more go-backs, no wiggle room. Allowing characters to be de-Borged just because they are main characters really undercuts the Borg's credibility.

And NO QUEEN!

Yeah that just about covers it.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I always saw the Borg as being so dangerous that every single species in the galaxy needed unite in order defeat them once and for all. Too bad TNG and VOY never really did any kind of story like that.

16. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

A real Star Trek horror movie? First Contact but maybe more terrifying?

Sounds good.

By the way T'Girl, I love your sig!

17. Sheridan

Sheridan Lieutenant Red Shirt

If TNG era villains were to be brought into the JJverse, I'd rather see Q. I imagine it would be a more comedic movie on par with ST IV which after nearly 30 years of serious Star Trek movies, might be refreshing.

18. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A self-defeating prescription.

If you make the borg have no chinks in its armor, it'll utterly crush the federation. No amount of 'clever' can overcome the HUGE advantages - in terms of military technology/intelligence and numbers - that the borg enjoys - without said chinks in its armor.
    The implausibility will become that it somehow fails to bitch slap the federation on an ongoing basis; more than enough to break the suspension of disbelief.

19. teacake

The Borg bitch slapped 63 billion folk in the books.

And you know.. it wasn't all that exciting after the first planet.

20. Bamarren

Bamarren Lieutenant Red Shirt

A part of me wants to see something new, but the borg on the other hand are fantastic. One of the most terrifying enemies ever to be in any fiction.

They could be brought back into the new universe, but with a difference. What I dont know. But it still needs to be along the terrifying lines they were on when they first appeared in TNG. Dont like Queenie though, but a bunch of Cubes chasing you around the Milky Way could work.

As someone else said, use the Q more, whether its the Q we all know and love or another member of the Q, so much more could be done with that.