The Amazing Spider-Man Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jun 24, 2012.

?

How do you rate The Amazing Spider-Man?

1. Excellent

33.8%
  2. Good

42.6%
  3. Fair

14.7%
  4. Poor

5.9%
  5. Terrible

2.9%
  1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

I will say one thing for this film: at times it gave me a touch of vertigo. The final fight on top of Oscorp Tower made me feel like Peter Jackson's take on Kong's last stand on the Empire State Building.

2. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I thought him basically telling Gwen who he is for no real reason was silly. They also omitted any mention of where the name Spider-Man came from. The first scene it is mentioned is when he reveals to Gwen that he's the vigilante, and she just blurts out "you're Spider-Man?" Ummm...
    Oscorp made the filament, he made the web slingers. I viewed it as a compromise between showing Peter to be an intelligent person while avoiding the unbelievably of him inventing the webbing all on his own.
    He wasn't exactly thinking rationally at that point.

I got the impression he was going after the guy as revenge for forcing him into testing the serum on himself. It may have started with him wanting to stop the tests at the VA, but that clearly wasn't his motivation once he turned into a dinosaur.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The movie certainly could have used some tighter editing and maybe even a couple watch-through to ensure all of the details are closed up. What DID happen to Dr. Connor's boss? We never see him again after the bridge scene!

Why was Capt. Stacy so gung-ho over getting Spider-Man? There was just a large attack on a major NYC bridge, you have hundreds of witnesses talking about a large lizard-creature and then a bunch of people telling the story of S-M saving the boy in the car but even after all of that Spider-Man is Public Enemy #1?!

They know Lizard is attacking the city and releasing the toxin and Stacy's concern is all on Spider-Man?! The hell?!

And all Spider-Man is "guilty of" at this point are "random acts of kindness" in stopping muggers and car thieves with no mention of a private person being injured. Stacy tries to explain this by saying that Spider-Man had disturbed a long-running operation to stop a car-thieving ring. But if Joe Public had stopped that car thief would he be considered Public Enemy #1 for stopping a crime that happened to be linked to a larger operation?

A lot in this movie was odd or forced. I enjoyed it but only because the cast really made it look but the story is messy. And the hokey scene with the crane-operators was just... ugh.

Suddenly Spider-Man can make a straight-swing to the building, he web-shoots his wound and then after that it's all pretty much okay. It never bothers him again. I also think it would have been nice to get a good "establishing shot" of Peter doing the "devil horns" sign to activate the web shooters. You can see him doing it in a couple shots but it's never really shown good and clear.

And I couldn't watch his first encounter with the street muggers without thinking "Peter Parkour." :lol:

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and what happened to this guy? We never see him again.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Films I enjoyed this year a lot more than this new Spidey.

John Carter
    Men In Black 3
    The Avengers
    Prometheus

6. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

There seems to have been quite a few cuts in the movie, and that's the most notorious one. There are stills showing that character finding the Lizard's Lair, and Peter fighting Connors there, with the other guy restrained. This is the scene supposedly where all the dialogue about "the truth about your parents", "do you think what happened to you was an accident" etc. from trailers would have gone.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

And THIS bugs me to no end. The whole contrived notion that everything has to be tied together cute-and-tidy. It takes away part of Peter Parker's appeal: that it could have been any of us bitten by that spider.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The film as a piece of work, forget adaptation, is just that flawed.

I don't read questions about plot holes that bad in MIB3, Avengers or even Snow White for crying out loud. Prometheus comes close but TASM has editing issues that from what we know of footage heard in trailers and other places might have tightened this up.

The Connors family was cast, is that correct? Did they ever shoot any footage? I imagine the time to see them might have been when Peter stops by the house. They make a point to show Curt wearing a wedding ring after all.

9. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I haven't seen ASM yet but it sounds like another Daredevil, where they cut out all the scenes that would have made the movie make sense as a whole.

Hopefully, like Daredevil, ASM will get a directors cut.

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i thought the movie was fine as is. none of the 'missing' bits from the trailer bothered me. i had no problem with Conners portrayal or motivations at all.

11. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw the movie today and thought it was excellent. If I could sum it up in four words, my review would be "Best Spiderman film yet."

When I first heard that Andrew Garfield was tapped to play Peter Parker/Spidey, I thought, "Interesting choice. Eduardo Saverin from The Social Network?" It's not that I didn't think he was right for the role; it's just that he was a fairly new actor, but sometimes it's the newcomers they choose to play superheroes. For instance, Brandon Routh's portrayal of Superman wasn't bad; in fact, I thought he made a pretty good Clark Kent. Garfield definitely has the nerdish, youthful looks to play an adolescent Peter Parker.

The story was much better than Sam Raimi's Spider-man 3. (If I could choose one of his previous films I liked, however, it would be the second one featuring Doctor Octopus as the villain.) Although I haven't read any Spider-man comic books, I hear that this new film--at least the origin plot--is more faithful to the source material compared to the first film done by Raimi; e.g., the web shooters that Peter created himself, Spidey cracking jokes, Gwen Stacy being the first girlfriend.

I really felt that this movie focused on Peter Parker's character--who he was and how he came to be the crime-fighting vigilante/hero. He apparently had a difficult childhood when his parents left him at a very young age to the care of Peter's Uncle Ben and Aunt May. I came from a big family, and I thought, while his legal guardians were very loving and supportive people, it must've been sad, to say the least, for him to grow up not having his real parents around. That sort of upbringing helped shape Peter into the anguished, yet good-hearted teen he was. And Andrew's performance as an angsty teen and sudden superhero was top-notch.

I'm not really fussy about his costume; for an actor of his stature and build, he did wear it well. In an appearance on Ellen DeGeneres' show, Andrew revealed that he had nothing underneath the skin-tight outfit. :drool: During the filming, the papparazzi were busy taking pics of him at the studio lot. In fact, if you Google some of his images, you'll know what he was talking about. :lol:

Speaking of performances, I have to say that Martin Sheen and Sally Field played a much better Uncle Ben and Aunt May, respectively, than their predecessors. Overall, their characters and lines were well written, witty, and humorous, and I found myself and the audience laughing at the dialogues. Sometimes I thought, "What did [the characters] say? I missed that!" because I was too busy laughing or the audience was. :lol: I guess I should watch the movie again. The only thing I didn't like was
    that Uncle Ben's death was anticlimactic. He was shot by the thug whom he fought with and was killed instantly without talking to Peter or saying anything before he died.

Emma Stone was good as Gwen Stacy; she and Andrew Garfield had a nice onscreen chemistry together. I noticed that some of their lines/scenes originally shown in the trailers were omitted, like "My father has XX officers looking for you." To which Peter replied, "That does sound a bit excessive." I don't remember the exact words. Another one was at the high school football field where Peter and Gwen sat on the benches. One guy yelled, "Hey, Parker. Want to play ball?" "No, thanks ..."

As for Dr. Connors/The Lizard, he was a good choice for a villain. Rhys Ifans' performance as a brilliant and ambitious scientist whose mind was corrupted by his latest scientific breakthrough was almost parallel to Alfred Molina's Otto Octavius/Doc Ock persona in Spider-man 2.

The CGI animation was also better than the previous films. Nowadays, when I see CGI-rendered characters like the Hulk or Lizard, I can't helping thinking they're CGI, no matter how good they are. Andy Serkis' motion-capture portrayal of Gollum in LotR is still unmatched.

Overall Rating: A+

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  12. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the red light flashing when he shoots webs is from his webslingers on his wrists.

13. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To Gryffindorian,

About your belief that Amazing Spider-Man is more faithful to the source material than the Raimi films, I think you are partly right. I'm not a Spider-Man expert, though I have read his comics off and on over the years, and I think that both the Raimi films and Amazing Spider-Man both lifted aspects of his Spidey's origin and story from the comics and also changed some things up. For me, I felt the first Raimi film actually felt more authentic to Spider-Man's comic origin, despite the organic web shooter change.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yep.

15. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing is, I thought ASM was too long already. It could have benefitted from some editing.

16. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree it was for a theatrical experience, but I wouldn't be opposed to a longer version on DVD.

One thing I enjoyed more about this film than the Raimi versions was the humor. Spider-Man was always a smart ass who would make wise cracks to throw off his enemies, and that was missing from the previous films.

17. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I thought this was superior to the others ones by a huge margin. I actually liked Peter Parker/Spider-man in this one. Toby was always very bland to me.

18. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    Well, my $0.02.

Initially, I was skeptical, thinking that a "reboot" this soon after the previous trilogy was pushing it. To my surprise, I liked it. A lot. More than any of the previous three, except for Spider-Man 2, which I think is in the top 5 of comic book movies anyway.

Garfield makes a good Peter Parker. Martin Sheen makes a terrific Uncle Ben. I liked that they changed up the origin story to make it seem fresh. The battle scenes with the Lizard and Spider-Man were much less cartoony than the effects of the original movies. Pretty neat to see what almost a decade of CGI improvements will get you.

Isn't Spidey a little too casual with his identity, though? He reveals his face to a kid who's DEFINITELY old enough to remember and describe it. He lets Gwen know. He LEAVES A CAMERA WITH HIS NAME ON IT when he's fighting as Spider-Man. Then he gets captured and discovered by Stacy's dad.

Over half the main characters in this movie knew his identity by the end it seemed like. I'm surprised Flash Thompson wasn't told.

19. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some of it's due to starting the sequels now, some due to repeating itself rather than moving on and some is due to arbitrary motivations. But, agree.

He was always evil, having assisted in murdering the Parkers, for, apparently, no reason at all. Pretending to be outraged at the prospect of secretly testing unsuspecting patients makes no sense. And for my part, Rhys Ifans failed completely at coping with a poorly written character.

The film's inane insistence on doubling everything meant that Gwen couldn't just be a girl at school but had to be part of the action plot, no matter how much it stresses willing suspension of disbelief.

That one I can help with. Peter lied to May about the fight, Peter lied to Connors about creating the equation, Peter lied to the clerk about the internship, Peter just lies.

I still like the sequence but it was remarkably clumsy how they set it up. C. Thomas Howell talked about one crane operator, but there were what, four? It's like Marc Webb didn't understand any of the dialogue.

A snatch of dialogue stated he was going to stop Peter. Cornering him at home would have been a lot smarter than going after him in a high school. What really needs explaining is how the hell the Lizard managed to walk in and find Peter so quickly.

I think they meant for Connors to break down and pre-empt the stooge from random secret testing by taking it himself. Then after his instant psychosis he went after the stooge to keep the stooge from locking him out of his lab. Except the stooge survives, but, in contradiction to the dialogue earlier, does nothing, not random testing, not taking Connors' "toys" away from him. Again, it's like the director doesn't understand the dialogue.

Most of what you said is quite true, but I have to admit I don't agree about Leary stealing scenes: They were given to him by the script, they were about him doing a slow burn prick for the teenies to hate on. But if his dying was intentionally comic, it's news to me. It's true that he was pretty painfree (where did they hide the morphine drip?) And it's true that the old I'll die when I give up and close my eyes visual trope is so old that it's been neglected for years and years. But they didn't intend for the scene to have any humor in it. Giving up Emma Stone was supposed to be tragic, even if Stacy dying wasn't. Old farts should die, especially when they get in the way of hooking up.

About Emma, yes, she's pretty (though we still didn't need it announced, much less announced twice.) But the line "I'm 17" took me straight out of the movie for a moment. She was overdressed for a high school student and overdressed for an intern in a working lab, which is not the same as an office.

20. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

^I'm pretty sure he meant that Captain Stacy's death was an element that was true to the comics, not that it was humorous.