Spoilers TF: A Ceremony of Losses by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Oct 20, 2013.

?

Rate A Ceremony of Losses.

1. Outstanding

71 vote(s)
    60.2%
  2. Above Average

38 vote(s)
    32.2%
  3. Average

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I noticed that the one-off female Efrosian Starfleet character Dalit Sarai shares a first name with the Dalit, aka untouchables of India. Was that intentional?

2. David Mack

David Mack Writer Commodore

^ No. "Dalit" was the name of an Israeli (or maybe Yemeni) waitress I once had a crush on in college.

3. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Gotcha. Thanks, David.

4. Kilana2

Kilana2 Commodore Commodore

German title for "A Ceremony of Losses" is: Auf verlorenem Posten. No, Christopher, it´s not literally translated. According to Cross Cult it was a suggestion by translator Christian Humberg. Auf verlorenem Posten means "lost cause/losing battle" ;).

5. David Mack

Not the best title, but maybe it has more resonance in German than its translation suggests. I really wish they'd ask me about these titles sometimes…

6. Kilana2

I will pass it on in the Cross Cult forum. I don´t know if the title is final. And Mr. Rohde is currently busy with preparing the Khan novels for the printing company. And we all are dying to get our hands on them. And there is no problem with the Khan titles. ;)

"Losing battle" was re-translated by me, and I don´t have a say as to the title. I don´t know Mr. Humberg´s motivation behind his choice.

Either way, I´m looking forward to reading it. After that I can start with Disavowed.

7. David Mack

I can always ask them directly. I'm friends with Markus and Christian on Facebook.

8. Kilana2

Finally finished it. One of the best stories I've read in a while. I love the Andorian storyline and how Bashir handled the crisis despite the fallout.