Terminator Genisys - Discussion and Grading Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Grade Terminator: Genisys

1. "I'll Be Back..." - Excellent

19 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. "Come with me if you want to live!" - Above Average

36 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. "I'm old, not obsolete." - Average

33 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. "Hasta La Vista, Baby." - Below Average

11 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. "You are Terminated!" - Horrible

11 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Arguably, it's actually a Harlan Ellison idea. ;)

Kor

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

These are silly retorts that indicate you're just upset so many see flaws in the film where as you willing embrace them.

An expectation of the film to make sense within the confines of it's own world/universe building is expected. A film that seeks to take the characters forward vs rehashing material that's been done to death(i.e. time travel) would've been nice.

For it's flaws Salvation is still much better film than this.
    Love them or hate them the one thing that can be said about the prior 4 films is that they moved the story along, even if some time travel in T2 slightly altered things(which is what the fanwankery script of Genysis was trying to emulate).
    T3's ending showed the start of Judgement Day and showed that you might can alter things but fate does have a say.
    Salvation began the Future War, showed Johns early place in it and by films in had him set up to be the leader that Kyle had told Sarah all about in T1.

T:G just shrugs it's shoulders and gives a big kiss off and fuck you to that.
    A follow up to Salvation, set in the Future War with John firmly in command of Human Resistance should've been done. A talented script writer and savvy producer could still have included Arnie w/o resorting to that cockamamie "sent back to '73 for 9yr old Sarah" explanation...which opened more questions and when Kyle asks about it we get an answer Kyle expresses for us "well, that's convenient"(aka, we may or may not have someone/thing in mind for who sent Pops back to '73).

3. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what happens when studios continually run to the well to cash in on people's feelings of nostalgia. You are trying to compare movies from 30-40 years ago to today's standards, and that simply doesn't work. When films like Robocop, The Terminator, and Superman came out, they offered an experience that people were new for movies at the time. That is why they are remembered. Of course, when you put out a remake or sequel decades after the original that doesn't have the same feeling of newness, people aren't going to be as impressed, even if it is superior in every respect.

It's similar to video games. The average game released today will always have superior graphics, controls, storyline, and level of content than Super Mario Bros. But in 2015, an average game is still nothing new, so it will never be on the same level as Super Mario Bros.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ The first three Terminators are superior to T5 in every respect, from story to acting to writing to cinematography to costuming to editing to music.

5. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The editing. Holy shit, the editing.

Why is the bus crash, which was apparently practical and a fairly tried-and-true stunt by now, hacked up to the point where it's impossible to see what's going on...yet we get long, loooooong close shots of that godawful CGI Arnie?

I do still want to see a movie of Pops and kid Sarah 'Lone-Wolf and Cub-ing' it against cyborgs.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Look Pops, we're the same now. Ever since I started menstruating, dogs bark at me too."

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This

8. Guy Gardener

It has new feelings of newness to new people who weren't there/alive when the well was dug.

9. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I think he's replacing Donald Trump on Celebrity Apprentice.

Perhaps time for him to start lobbying for a constitutional change to let him run for President? :p

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

What it's time for is for him to play a villain in a franchise that's not even older and more busted than he is.

[​IMG]

- A Quaritch 2.0 in an Avatar 3 or Alien 5.
    - Kurt Russell's old nemesis in Furious 8.
    - An arms dealer-turned dino dealer in Jurassic World 2.
    - Random baddie in Vin Diesel's xXx 3, if that ever gets made...

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

... or as a key political figure in the next "Insurgent" or "Hunger Games" sequel. :lol:

Kor

13. Guy Gardener

King Lear.

14. TremblingBluStar

Again, only if the film does something new. Do you think the Robocop remake feels new to a teenager who grew up with a slew of high budget superhero/action movies, such as Avatar, Iron Man, and The Avengers?

15. Guy Gardener

Did they though?

Children who "Grew up with Avengers" which premiered in 2012, to be so jaded that Robocop means nothing to them in 2014 is an achievement.

Becoming as jaded as we are, took 10s of thousands of movies over the course of decades.

Terminator Genisys is Shittier than than Avengers I (But Age of Ultron was about the money and hurt my brain.), but after treasuring the delight of Terminator, there were still hundreds of shit movies made in 1984 that I still rented from my local video store "during that era".

Have you ever seen Future Hunters?

It's a piece of shit movie about time travel starring Robert Patrick from 1986. Future Hunters made us appreciate Terminator, and the King of Movies had to forgive Robert Patrick for being in that mess, before they would let him join the cast of Terminator 2.

Just because Avengers I "won" it doesn't men that Hollywood should stop making movies.

16. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jesus, was someone paid to write that article? I've seen tweets that were better written.

For eg.

So was that meant to be a new report, or new reports? Because the difference actually does kind-of matter if we're trying to gauge how seriously to take the story.

I'm not even touching how they quote a Forbes article that was really about how the series will continue.

Shitty tabloid journalism is a weird thing. It makes me defend things I'd otherwise be mocking.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ It's another example of the Guardian's famous typos/misspellings/lack of proof-reading, which have led it to be nicknamed 'The Grauniad' in the UK press. Legend has it that one edition actually went out with the title 'The Grauniad', though that's almost certainly an urban myth.

18. TremblingBluStar

I didn't say they are too jaded for Robocop to mean anything. I said it offered nothing new. It wasn't poorly made or cheap looking, but it was a movie about a super soldier after decades of similar movies and countless video games made the genre stale. Robocop I may have gotten the ball rolling, but Robocop 2014 failed to rejuvenate the genre or offer anything but a stale rehash of the original without any of the subtle humor of the original.

It was also made in a time when Hollywood thrives off of the PG-13 crowd. The original was a brutal, R-rated film that still managed to appeal to the children who weren't allowed to see it in the theater. The remake was a tepid, shock free action flick that tried to appeal to the adults who grew up the original and today's tweens.
    Yes? And there is a reason why The Terminator is rememberd while Future Hunters is not.
    That isn't even close to what I was saying.

19. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

20. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

The property itself is valuable enough for them to keep trying. They'll probably do some kind of a reboot or something, because Genysis and the whole concept behind it was a fiasco. This said, I doubt we'll ever see Emilia Clarke play Sarah again.