teacake does Farscape: Spoiler Free first time viewing

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by teacake, Mar 23, 2013.

1. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

He doesn't know. As you've probably realized, at this point, Crichton is basically a guy trying to stay decent in increasingly difficult situations. He's holding on his ethics because it's the only thing that's holding him together.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're right, I forget he's an astronaut not a soldier. Stargate soldierized him in my mind :lol:

3. teacake

A Human Reaction: Very nice. I figured out it was all sorta in Chrichton's head when he recognized the tech from training in the Simpson desert. I was initially wondering where the heck the Americans were since they wouldn't leave one of their astronauts in this (rather half assed) prison in another country.

Crichton's memory granting him a VB:

[​IMG]

So.. Aeryn and John did sleep together, in their heads?

A very romantic scene, and I think the rainy weather and greyness added to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not used to seeing bits of Aus in science fiction! Australian magazines (real ones):

[​IMG]

I think a good alternative title for this episode would be "The Ladies Room".

[​IMG]

4. teacake

Through the Looking Glass: I could barely choke this down.

[​IMG]

I enjoyed the food scenes at the beginning and end though.

[​IMG]

5. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, for what it's worth, this thread has inspired me to give Farscape another go. I tried with the first couple of episodes but never stuck with it. So, given some of the comments here, I've decided to jump in at 'DNA Mad Scientist'. Wish me luck!

edit: Wow. Just lop the damn thing off!

6. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

One thing you should notice is the number of Australian actors in the show in recurring roles. Love the future seasons.

7. teacake

A Bug's Life: What a bizarre accent Browder used in this one.. a posh aussie pommie hybrid. Spent most of this ep trying to work it out.

The space virus should have implanted itself in Moya and killed everyone on board.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  8. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not just in their heads - in their pants too. What they experienced was fabricated by the Ancients, yes, but it was still a physical reality, it wasn't a purely mental experience. D'Argo and Rygel were figments of the construction, but John and Aeryn were real. So yes, John and Aeryn slept together fo realzez.

That's his "Peacekeeper" accent. He'll have to break that out a couple more times before he's done.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Glad to see a first time viewer on here enjoying the show. Farscape is one of my all time favorites.

10. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And it begins... watching this episode a second time through is fun, with the knowledge that everything that happens in the series is set into motion by the events of this episode.

11. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

And it stays better, too, unlike a certain other popular sci-fi TV show that's loved to death by mundanes more than Farscape is.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  12. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

"A Human Reaction" is probably my favorite Season 1 episode, even with what's coming yet for you teacake. It's partly because Crichton and Aeryn are probably my favorite 'ship in genre fiction, and are the central reason I watched the show. :adore:

13. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

You're not kidding, are you? :wtf:

Why is this?

14. teacake

Remember people, I'm wanting to be Spoiler Free...

Nerve: Bloody hell, that escalated quickly :eek:

I was sitting there making up snide commentary about Crichton's accent when suddenly it's all torturing and burning people and pathetic but sad blondes and screaming and secret messages left by the ancients buried in Chrichton's head.

[​IMG]

Peacekeeper life seems pretty fucking horrible. When Javio the higher up Peacekeeper tries to woo Chiara away from what he thinks is her covert ops master he says, "this is much more civilized".. about this complete shithole of an outpost. Now I am sure there are Peacekeepers living the high life somewhere but it seems that for most of them eating regularly and having a bar to hang out in at night is pretty damn great. And then there's relationships.. Aeryn was feeling the pang when the peacekeeper in the previous episode hit on her and the blonde is seemingly head turned over Chrichton just because he has been nice to her in the past. Not much of a life.

This is interesting hair, I love that dip in the middle:

[​IMG]

15. teacake

The Hidden Memory: This was just chock full of interesting stuff. The sad end of the sad blonde Peacekeeper. The VERY interesting Stark and his slave race. Fantastic acting from Browder who actually looks like he's really suffering in this and Nerve as a result of the chair.. compare this to all the other evil mind probing chairs where everyone screams but is okay next scene.

Dramatic birth complications! Moya's baby suffers weapons dystocia!

And.. OMG.. is this a reference to that scene in Titanic?!

[​IMG]

I had to pause the episode I was laughing so hard!

Can't wait for the next one!! :)

16. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

I never connected that scene to titanic before...and now i will never unsee it :(

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Just to be nitpicky, her name is Chiana, not Chiara.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I just watched these episodes last night and I don't even remember that scene. :lol:

19. teacake

OH! I am sorry about that, I don't know how that got stuck in my head!

Guess I'll have to stop crafting my chiaroscuro comments about her hair. Damn.

(And thanks for the correction :alienblush: )

20. teacake

Bone to be Wild: Well there we go, Zhaan is a plant abd Scorpius is another species. Very interesting revelations couched in a standard "beam down, things are not as they seem" episode.

CREEPINESS!!!

[​IMG]

Yay for this guy, he looks like he stepped straight out of Zangamarsh!

[​IMG]

Seriously impressive costuming on this show.

I think I know why everyone complains about Trek's forehead aliens, once you've seen what can be done they look like token alien lumps. What was the budget like for Farscape?

[​IMG]

Great shots with baby ship.. very atmospheric.

[​IMG]

And WHERE is Stark?? Did they drop him off somewhere and never mention it? I need more Stark.