Tattoos

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by thestrangequark, Jan 15, 2014.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorites are the simple black and white birds and reeds.. I am partial to any kind of silhouette or stencil style. They all look real to me, they just also all look very recently done. I've seen some incredible work IRL, but of course it fades. I saw a woman one day who had arctic animals all over her arms and chest, full sleeves. They were stunning though I did wonder why someone 20 or under which she looked in Australia would have devoted their body to arctic animals.. I complimented her but didn't ask why because that always seems nosy with a stranger.

Looking at these I WANT ONE or something..

2. Kommander

Kommander Commodore Commodore

Just a word of caution: If you get an anchor tattoo, be prepared for random strangers to come up to you asking if you are/have been in the Navy, and then getting all irate when they find out that you have not and treating you like you haven't earned the right to have a nautical-themed tattoo. (TSQ, I don't recall you ever mentioning military service, so I'm assuming you haven't. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me as harshly as you feel necessary.)

This happens to me occasionally over my Kommander tattoo. The only reason it doesn't happen frequently is because most Naval Officers aren't arrogant enough to get their rank insignia tattooed on and most veterans apparently have the inductive reasoning abilities to determine that I've never served. When I am called on it, pointing out that my family has a long history with the Navy apparently isn't enough to justify my use of such imagery.

Most of the veterans I know and meet are decent people, but the few that aren't seem to try their damnedest not to be.

3. teacake

Well that's just dumb. It's not like the military owns anchors, every boat has one.

4. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Kommander, you should tell them you own a houseboat.

5. teacake

aaaaaaahahaha that's excellent.

6. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Yeah...that seems utterly ridiculous to me. Nautical tattoos are hugely popular...practically mainstream.

7. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Those tattoos are amazing. All of them. Wow!

8. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

9. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Those were my favorites as well. I think the top picture would work best, both in subject and composition.

10. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

One week to go before new ink!
    :)

11. thestrangequark

^Excitement! You MUST post pics!

Seven weeks till mine...

12. thestrangequark

13. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Fascinating, and not surprised to be honest. People like to form a us and them thing to huge degrees. Tattoos is only one example. Also, you are now revealed as a time traveler with the top of your head visible in the 1933 clip there! Say hello to The Doctor from me.

14. Kommander

Kommander Commodore Commodore

Tattooing has been around almost as long as humans have. They serve various purposes, and go in and out of fashion. While I wouldn't say tattoos are mainstream in current western culture, they probably are seen as more acceptable now than in recent decades. As globalization increases, people in general become at least tolerant of people who are different. While the perception that tattoos are for criminals, bikers, and sailors is still present, most people probably realize that they aren't exclusive to those three groups and a wide variety of different kinds of people have tattoos.

15. teacake

They are mainstream in Australia where according to one article I read 1 in 7 people have one. They certainly aren't considered alternative in any way here now.

16. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Actually, I don't know why i haven't thought about this before, but interestingly in Japan tattoos are quite taboo and associated with organized crime still. It has been changing, but it's still taboo to the degree that upon hearing of my plans to get a tattoo my sister who lives Japan recommended not getting one until I'd visited Japan and been to an onsen spring bath, simply because the vast majority do not allow people in who have tattoos.

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I always had a feeling that you were in the Swedish Yakuza. That Stockholm, man, I hear it's a crazy place.

18. teacake

Yeah I might actually not get one if it would have a different association in a country I might live in one day. I think I need to do some research now..

19. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Some really great ones here! I have a single memorial tattoo on the inside of my left wrist (the arm closest to my heart). I am considering another inside my right wrist, but it will be cheerier.

I find that I have gone from thinking them "not for me" to thinking that I need more. Lots more! (Maybe a knitting one; a la MaCloudt!)

20. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

I choked on a mouthful of Fanta, damn you. :lol:

Kim, we should get matching knitting tattoos.