Talk of Bryan Singer's BSG project resurfaces

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by C.E. Evans, Oct 17, 2011.

1. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

She may have seemed like a liability, except for that little fact that she lead them to Earth and everything. Not to mention fending off Cylon raiders like a boss in earlier seasons.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You hating the character doesn't actually have anything to do with whether the character was bad or not.

3. Wereghost

Wereghost Part-time poltergeist Commodore

Cylon raiders yes, when she's not getting less experienced pilots killed by being absent as a consequence of a hangover (and if I recall, she and Apollo had been laughing themselves silly at hapless pilots like Flattop who had become casualties if war. That episode (Scar) doesn't do Starbuck any favours).

As regards getting them to Earth, it wasn't exactly the land of milk and honey even if you ignore the Ice Age as the finale did. Language and the use of fire both originated considerably more recently than 150,000 years ago, so the obvious conclusion is that any hopes that the original settlers had for even the second and third generations of Earth-based colonial humanity probably turned out to be largely unfounded. That wasn't necessarily Kara's fault per se (Romo had civilisation aborted based on Apollo's recommendation) but essentially she brought them to a planet with proto-humans on it, which is what gave Apollo the (ludicrous) excuse to make the suggestion in the first place. Starbuck had no reason to trust the ghostly piano player or the "higher being" that directed them to the ruins of Earth 1. If it was the same entity worshipped by the cylons then seemingly it orchestrated the attacks on the colonies in the first place. As for the piano player, he got to her quite easily by subtly massaging her considerable ego.
    Anyway, that's just my reading of it. I think it depends on how much you're prepared to take with the proverbial pinch of salt.

Going back on-topic, I imagine that the big-screen Starbuck will emphasise the loveable rogue / magnificent b****** aspects of the character while not going too near the kind of darkness that we see from about New Caprica onwards.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  4. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Female Starbuck never bugged me. I think "bad" is way overstating it.

Honestly, I'm a bit shocked at all the Kara Thrace hate. Sure she might have been an purpose, troublemaker - yet none that made her "bad" by any stretch.

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

It doesn't make may opinion any less valid either.

6. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

I'm all for a different take on BSG. It's a fun concept. Singer or someone else might do something interesting with it.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty much, except nobody will know who Lorne Green is (that's the guy who produces Saturday Night Live, right?) The "one ugly old dude" will be Tommy Lee Jones as Adama, and everyone else will be imported from the Twilight movies and Friday Night Lights.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur Vice Admiral Admiral

Even TOS Tighe had some obvious aging, and I want to think he (at least the actor when not died) had some grey in his hair? Col Tighe, can't be under Mid 40s. Sure, if you want to, you can make him hot, but, he can't be a youngster (He's a Colonel for Frak's Sake), and he's gotta be demanding.

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Actually it's Lorne Michaels who produces SNL not Lorne Greene.

10. RandyS

Terry Carter died? When did this happen?:(

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Admiral Admiral

Yes. The only old character is Commander Adama.

Yes, I mean Commander Adama and Colonel Tigh.

I mean Commander Adama, Colonel Tigh, and the President of the Twelve Colonies.

But everyone else is young and hot.

Except Commander Adama, Colonel Tigh, and the President of the Colonies, and the Quorum of Twelve.

And Count Iblis.

12. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Terry Carter is still alive.

13. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

And even if he isnt, he'll come back an haunt you lot because you said he was dead.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur Vice Admiral Admiral

I said "the actor when not died" as in Dyed hair (died was a typo)

That sentence makes absolutely no sense if I was referring to death.

Terry Carter will be 83 on December 16.

15. RandyS

It made no sense grammar-wise the way it was written, which is why I got confused.

But I get it now.:bolian:

16. Kokomo

Kokomo Commander Red Shirt

This may sound like a dumb question, but do you think that Singer & co. will drastically redesign the vipers, raiders, flight suits, etc.?

I for one, would LOVE to see an updated version of the original series flight suit/helmet.

17. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There will probably be some stylistic alterations, but I'm guessing the design work will be closer to the designs used in TOS, which were great.

But then, so were the ones on RDMBSG, but it seems they are moving away from that.

18. Kokomo

Judging by the unused designs for Singer and DeSanto's version in the early 2000's, I think it is safe to assume that Singer will base his designs more on TOS. The Viper pilot helmets that Global Effects did for the show were awesome!

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's no reason to think so far that Singer's going to use anything from DeSanto's project even for reference. The writer prefers nuBSG to old, and Singer's not even willing to commit to Starbuck being a male character at this point. :lol:

DeSanto was the real oldBSG fan.

20. Kokomo

John Orloff (the writer of the new movie) had this to say recently,

I’m a huge fan of the original series and of the second show, too. But I always thought the first show was a little too heavily reliant on Star Wars, you know? Whereas I think the second show was really original and really cool.

And I think I’ve come up with a way to write this movie that won’t [frick] any of that up. I’m not sure how much they want me to talk about it. Let’s just say it’s not what you expect. It will all work in the universe that exists. It will not conflict with anything Ron Moore has done. I don't think you can compete with what he's done.

Could this mean that the new movie will be set in the NuBSG universe? I mean, I like NuBSG, but if they are gonna make a BSG movie, I'd like for it to be something fresh and new, ya know?

just my $0.02