Talk of Bryan Singer's BSG project resurfaces

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by C.E. Evans, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

That other Brad is about 15-20 years too old for Starbuck.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Thought so. But he's got the attitude, you must admit. Especially when playing Billy Beane...

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Admiral

I neither stated nor implied otherwise.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

He could probably have pulled it off, but he was too entrenched as a comedic actor. A lot of people would be half expecting "Commander Frank Drebin".

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He'll always be J.J. Adams for me.

Another problem though is Leslie Nielsen could have played Adama when the original show aired. Whatever Adama the Third is, he's more likely in Olmos' generation or slightly younger than he is in Lorne Greene's.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And this project will be neither. :cool:

7. billcosby

billcosby Commodore Commodore

AKA... something brand new for all of us to complain about! :lol:

8. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's pretty much it, isn't it?:lol:;)

9. Admiral Buzzkill

There's never enough of that.

10. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember reading somewhere, and I don't remember where exactly (maybe on CHUD), which said that Singer was going to learn from his "mistakes" that he made on Superman Returns and that his proposed Battlestar Galactica reboot was not going to have any legitimate ties to the old 70's show or the Ron Moore incarnation for that matter.

That would probably be the sagest approach since it has become apparent when filmmakers try to make movies out of nostalgia homage that it ends up suffering as a result (if you take into consideration the lackluster reception to both Superman Returns and Peter Jackson's King Kong remake - even though I actually enjoyed Returns).

Singer is a self-proclaimed science-fiction fan and he's already professed his love for Star Trek (I believe at one point he was even putting together a pitch for a Star Trek TV show, before Abrams' movie - he even had a cameo appearance in Star Trek: Nemesis). John Orloff, the writer who was just hired, is clearly a big science-fiction and Battlestar Galactica fan himself. So I don't really see a need to get worried about this particular incarnation of the project. It seems to be in good hands.

In terms of the passage of time after Ron Moore's show, as others have said Hollywood reboots properties at a pretty quick and efficient pace. I don't think audiences really seem to mind, since they have embraced some of the reboots so far - at least the ones that haven't sucked. If Singer and Orloff can manage to deliver a good movie then I think we have nothing to worry about. Which is basically all we really should be concerned about- whether or not the movie is going to be any good.

11. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's quite right. A fairly detailed sypnosis of the Singer pitch leaked a while back (although I'm lead to understand that the actual pitch content was written by others). It fell into the post-Voyager school of Trek reboots, including in its premise how the Ferengi and Cardassians had changed and so on.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Bryan Singer:

Link

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

Just to throw everybody off, Starbuck will be a hermaphrodite.

14. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

Starbuck will be the name of the robot dagget. He'll be consistently referred to as "he," then give birth to kittens at the end of the film.

The callsign of the roguish, skirt and/or pants-chasing pilot will be Muffet, in a cunning reference to their romantic activities.

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Grey Owl Wizard Premium Member

Heh, that or Starbuck will be a Luthor Model Cylon

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Nothing that Singer or Orloff has said suggests a strong concern for being faithful to the original series in any way. I'm sure that they're cognizant of it and that they'll take care to bring in some elements of it - for one thing, I'd expect the tone of this to be more action-adventure-explody than nuBSG - but on the other hand they don't want to be accused by critics and viewers more familiar (if only in passing) with the newer version and less so with the older version of "dumbing it down."

17. RandyS

Works for me. ANYTHING would be better than Katie Sackoff.

The character, not the person.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, she was so bad that Singer's in a quandary about what sex Starbuck should be this time around. Maybe he can compromise - cast a woman but give her that cheesy feminine proto-mullet that Benedict wore. :lol:

19. RandyS

She was bad alright.

I don't care about the actor, or weither the character is a man or woman or robot. I just hope we never see Kara Thrace again. It was that character I hated, not the actor.

20. Wereghost

Wereghost Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

I think Katee's Starbuck was a horrible person and ultimately a liability to the human race, but immensely watchable thanks to the actress and the scripting. The only issue I have with Sackhoff's portrayal was that she didn't seem to be able to pull off the f-word.