Talk of Bryan Singer's BSG project resurfaces

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by C.E. Evans, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

and also do this:

Earth sends an expedition into space to establish its own colony. They are swept into a time warp and end up in the distant past. They found the colony anyway..Kobol!

EJO says that? Wow.

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. He's talked in the past about how he told RDM that he was only interested in doing BSG if the tone of the project mirrored that of Blade Runner. He's also said the following with regards to BSG and BR:

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Good thing Adama didn't *talk* like Gaff. :lol:

4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

EJO's also said this on the subject:

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really, they tied nuBSG in with oldBSG through some visual stylistic things - mainly whenever they'd recreate events from the first Cylon War they'd use oldBSG designs or variations of same. People liked that, in the main, although there was really no logical way to make the continuities mesh in that time-frame. So if something similar is done with the movie I'm sure folks will appreciate it, chuckle and move on.

6. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm thinking the people making new Blade Runner movies might have a thought on that or three... so very unlikely to happen.

7. billcosby

billcosby Commodore Commodore

Ummms, I haven't been to this board in some time but the Aint It Cool story re: the Bryan Singer thing caught my eye. Can anyone confirm Blood & Chrome is pretty much frakked?

8. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Experiencing Superman Returns and then First Class under Singer's watch and how impossibly dark BSG would be in a movie setting, I am not so sure this movie will be franchise material for Universal which is what they are obviously gunning for.

9. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

He's obviously joking.

10. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Im sure he said that with a smile, but considering what both entities were like its far from ridiculous to believe something like that. NuBSG and Blade Runner are very much companion pieces (although if Caprica had carried on, I think that would have perhaps moved more toward Blade Runner with Rogue cylons and what have you).

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Pretty much, yes. Supposedly, the pilot was screened for Higher-Ups at SyFy, and they weren't impressed. Although no official desicion has been made, it's believed that the pilot will be burned off as a series of webisodes, and that will be that.

Here's the thread where this was discussed.

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually had similar thoughts. And this approach would legitimize Galactica 1980 by explaining how the fleet could find Earth and have the 13th tribe be less advanced than the other 12. It never made sense to me how a group of peole could leave Kobol in warp capable starships and their descendants thousands of years later do not have that technology. And of course, we know it was just shitty writing, but if you add New Galactica to the mix, Bill Adama's fleet discarding their technology and starting over, would make 1980 make sense.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

In one of the deleted scenes in TOS, Apollo explains that after the humans left Kobol and founded the colonies, they deliberately destroyed all of their technology. It took hundreds of yahren to revive even the most primitive ships for exploring space.

As for G1980, I always assumed that any continuation of TOS would regard it as a virtual reality simulation of what first contact with Earth would have been like if it had gone disastrously wrong.

14. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

Well they're still working on it, so it's certain to be seen in some form.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Last night, I thought of Bradley Cooper as Starbuck. Only after did I remember that he played Face in the A-team movie.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Grey Owl Wizard Premium Member

I recall hearing something about February 2012, but, don't remember if that's a rumor with a good possibility of being fairly accurate, or if it was someone's assumption it couldn't be any sooner considering lack of promotion so far?

17. Takeru

Takeru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, Starbuck has to be female, I want to see Dirk Benedict's head explode.:lol:

18. billcosby

billcosby Commodore Commodore

Cool, I just checked Mr. Drexler's blog. Thanks for clearing it up for me, The Wormhole.
    It would be such a waste if this project wasn't given an opportunity to shine. Everything on paper about it sounds fantastic.
    I can't get excited about another reboot. Everything is being rebooted too quickly.
    Someday there's going to be a movie that gets rebooted, redesigned and recasted halfway during the film. It will start with one style and cast and end with another.

And that movie will be called....
    Ghostbusters III
    ;)

19. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, that's too bad for you, but doesn't mean those of us who know and love the original (without which you wouldn't have the RDM version) shouldn't get to see what Singer has in mind.

Yes, I like both the original and the reimagined. But since BSG went ended, the movies after were kinda sucky and Caprica bombed, and the whole thing just seemed to grind to a halt. Look at this forum - just about no activity, really.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Having just seen Moneyball, I might suggest a certain other Brad... although he might be a bit old for the part by the time they get around to filming this.

As for other characters, like Adama: It's too bad Leslie Nielsen died. IMHO, he would be perfect for Adama. And not because of all this goofy comedy crap he was doing at the end. I'm talking the dramatic roles he was known for in his early days. (he even played it straight, for the most part, in Airplane! and Police Squad!).