Talk of Bryan Singer's BSG project resurfaces

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by C.E. Evans, Oct 17, 2011.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Well, this is certainly an interesting development. I would say the movie is most likely to exist in it own continuity, better for hooking non-fans that way. My interpretation of the "not conflicting with Ron Moore" thing is that they'll likely be borrowing elements from nuBSG and its set-up. The Fleet will likely have a clearly defined civilian leadership, Galactica will be very much depicted as an aircraft carrier in space, possibly down to carrier terms and titles being used (like CAG). Maybe there will be human models of the Cylons, they'd save money having an ordinary looking human giving Cylons orders than having a lizard man with an affro be the Imperious Leader.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a smart guy.

I'm sure that the way the "solution" will appear in the movie will absorb a lot less time than did the "alternate universe" set-up for Abrams's Star Trek - that, after all, was central to being able to use Leonard Nimoy. If there's a rationale given for the co-existence of nuBSG anld oldBSG, I expect it'll be a line or two somewhere.

3. Horta Burger

Horta Burger Lieutenant Red Shirt

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It'll be just like Superman Returns. In the end, nobody cares if it follows continuity or canon or schmanon.

But I wonder if Singer's going to re-use the original series music theme.

5. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say whereas Moore's is set in the past, this one is set in the future; either the RDM Cylons went back to the colonies and evolved there and are repeating the cycle or it's set in reverse; our Cylons destroy Earth and man sets out to find the colonies.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

You can probably bet on the oldBSG theme being used.

Who ought to play Adama? Someone elsewhere mentioned suggested Liam Neeson.

7. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Not only that, but the fans of Moore's version who dismiss the original conviently ignore the fact that Carrilon was hiding Ovions who were kidnapping a eating humans in the lower levels.

Hardly a happy situation.

8. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Which, at this point, is probably the best way to go about it.

9. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That works for me.

I wonder if Starbuck's still going to be a girl?
    Does this mean people will still be screaming GINO?

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are ways to do that topic that aren't as self-flagellating as RDM's version - more us vs. them and straightforwardly vengeful. That kind of simple approach is going to be necessary to a big-budget summer popcorn flick anyway.

Neither of those lend themselves as well to the mindless us-vs-them blow-em up spectacle that this movie no doubt will be, because that's what sells. And it would be far more grotesque to see B5 or Farscape treated that way; I don't give a flip about the original BSG so they can do whatever they like with it.

Doubtful.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

A plot which was proceeding nicely only because the human characters were written as too stupid to find their asses with both hands ("Just snatch 'em off the elevators! They'll never be missed!").

All that's necessary in order to dismiss that series as written down for what the producers must have considered the lowest common denominator is to sit down and watch it. There is no respect shown for the intelligence of the audience whatever.

12. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Even as a big fan of RDM's take, now I'm slightly less onboard with this. I guess I could see a First Cylon War situation being doable, but sometimes I think it's fine to just have something stand on it's own.

Of course, all BSG products can fit together under the "all this has happened before and will happen again" banner, but I don't want to see them forcing something that shouldn't be forced.

13. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't see them being in continuity with Ron Moore's series while simuntaneously recasting Adama unless it's some kind of Cylon War movie (which naturally I doubt), so some kind of alternate universe nod similar to Star Trek's reboot, as mentioned, seems the most probable genuflection to nuBSG.

Honestly, they both do. Farscape has an evil interstellar empire who is hunting down the escaped convict 'heroes', reasons changigng but the most important one being that they're in the possession of a McGuffin - here, wormholes, although another franchise had something called Death Star plans...

Honestly that's a premise ripe for exploitation as a Star Wars like spectacle.

And Babylon 5's overarc is basically an ancient evil returning to space, with strong overtones of Lord of the Rings. It plays around with the idea later, but a coming-of-the-shadows type film would huge deadly spaceships could be similarly filmable.

Honestly? A simpler question is what space operas do not lend themselves well to film. Most all can quickly use the Star Wars formula, in many cases - specfically oldBSG, obviously - because they're using that formula already.

This is true. I have no real investment in the old BSG so I can approach a new remake of it open-minded, but a film that trashed say Farscape would bother me a little more.

Works for me. Lance Reddick for Tigh?

14. FredH

FredH Captain Captain

As long as an older Mark Schultz gets to command the ship as Admiral Jolly this time, it's all good. Always liked that guy. :techman:

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

For Farscape and B5 to be turned into a Transformers type spectacle would strip them of everything that made them worthwhile in the first place. Of course I could always boycott the resulting travesty but I'm happier knowing it's very unlikely to happen in the first place.
    I'm sure most if not all of them lend themselves to being filmed in some way. I was talking about the way this BSG movie is likely to end up: like Transformers.

Nobody should get their hopes up about any genuflections. nuBSG will be roundly ignored. This isn't an Abrams-Trek situation. They won't in alternative universes, they will be two stories that share the same name and some characters' and ships' proper names and have nothing else to do with each other.

Adama will be played by some old guy, but the rest of the cast is going to need to skew hot & young. Lance Reddick is no box office draw.

16. Horta Burger

Horta Burger Lieutenant Red Shirt

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can actually see that being the real level of consideration.

"Look, I don't care. Just bring me some old guy who looks prestigious, like Lorne Green, only not dead. Now let's get some uber hotties in this thing!"

17. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Neither Singer nor Orloff had anthing to do with Michael Bay's Transformers. So it has less chance of being Transformers than, say, a film written by the screenwriters of Transformers - which is exactly what J.J. Abrams' Star Trek is, and one of the reasons I had very low expectations for it.

Normally I'd agree, but they've specifically said otherwise. So clearly at this point in the production they intend some kind of connection to Ron Moore's program.

Colonel Tigh is a supporting character. Supporting characters are often played by character actors.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps TOS could be a sequel to nuBSG (obviously not the reverse, because of the time differential).

Meaning: After the events of nuBSG, the Cylons went back and rebuilt the colonies - repopulated them, rebuilt all the cities, everything. So much time has gone by that these new colonists literally forgot that they are Cylons and believe they are human; the events of TOS are a result of this. So in that sense, every BSG-TOS character is a humanoid Cylon. :p

19. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Orloff and Singer are serious about connecting this new BSG project to RDM's, the most organic way to do so would be, as someone else suggested up-thread, to do the story in reverse. IOW, start the story out on Earth, and then spread it out so that the survivors are looking for the colonies.

On a semi-related note, I'm wondering if there's any possible way that Singer and Orloff could make Edward James Olmos' personal opinion a reality by making the BSG universe - as imagined by RDM - tied in with the universe of Blade Runner.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Tigh at least should be played by an actor of approximate age to Adama. Both the original and nuBSG established Adama and Tigh as old friends going back many years. It would be very odd if this one didn't follow suit.