Talk of Bryan Singer's BSG project resurfaces

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by C.E. Evans, Oct 17, 2011.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The original announcement stated that Larson - a renowned writer in his own right - would be producing and directly developing a reboot of BSG with Universal; the subsequent announcement of Singer's involvement indicated that he would be writing the script for, directing, and helping to produce and develop the project; there was no indication in the latter announcement that he was supplanting Larsen, but was merely 'joining the team'. It makes sense that Larsen, being in his mid 70s (he's 74 as of this year), would advocate bringing someone much younger in to work on the scripting duties for the project and also direct.

Regarding the credit that Larson received on the new BSG, it was done merely as a consideration, and actually had to be pushed for by RDM. Larson had requested that he be given a credit, but it wasn't this request that got him said credit; it was Moore coming out and siding with him (his request actually went to arbitration at the Writer's Guild of America).

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Good news. nuBSG sucked pretty much, and I like Singer's films.

3. Galileo7

Galileo7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

WGA would almost certainly have sided with Larson in arbitration, since so much in terms of characters, locale, premise etc. was lifted from the pilot of oldBSG for nuBSG.

Doesn't leave much for a 74 year-old rights holder to do. Maybe Larson can have a walk-on and pull focus? :lol:

You can put whatever kind of gloss on this you want - someone with actual modern film making experience and a track record was going to be put in charge of this thing or Universal wouldn't spend a dime on it.

5. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Was never big on the original, and I loved the Moore version, but I wouldn't mind a tidy little film trilogy reboot that could stand on it's own also.

6. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I meant to say more of an Abrams-style reboot. Though if JJ wanted to do BSG, I wouldn't have a problem with that either. His Star Trek is more style than substance, but it was very entertaining and seemed fresher than the last two TNG movies.

7. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

The nuBSG fans have to accept that our show is more or less done. We may get some drips and drabs here and there, but nothing much more of meaning.

The oldBSG fans really, honestly, need to accept that nothing new will ever come from the old show. The best you lot can hope for now is another reboot. A continuation will simply never happen due to demographics. The vast majority of fans for the old are at youngest, 30. Likely average of 45-50. And Hollywood doesn't do anything for people over 30 really. They want young money, shallow and jaded as that is. It's how they work. It sucks, but it's how it is.

If Singer does a BSG movie? Expect it to be in the vein of the nuTrek or the Star Wars prequels. Reboot done to appeal to 12-25 year olds and people not already fans. It will likely be as shallow and lacking of substance and built on FX and sex appeal as all the rest. It will be about merchandising and box-office, not much else. It may be closer to the old than the nu, but... only in pale imitation form.

If you're happy with such, if you're that much of an anti-nuBSGer to be grateful with anything else done with the property outside of such... *shrug* you'll likely get such. But I think it'll be a pretty hallow victory, imho.

Those who like the old, those who like the 'nu' will both have to accept: we've had our fun. Anything new will be directed at the kiddies.

8. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know, that sounds pretty close to the spirit of the original show.[/cheapshot]

9. DigificWriter

I expect that Larson's involvement will be largely the same as JKR's was with regards to the last two films in the HP franchise and with regards to her involvement with the franchise as a whole. He'll get EP credit, and will more than likely be as involved with the project as his health and age will allow (I don't think he has any health problems right now that would have an adverse effect on his involvement/participation). You are making it sound like they'll cut him out of the loop entirely and rely solely on Singer while simply cutting him (Larson) a check for the rights to the BSG franchise, and neither of the two announcements we got with regards to the project show any indication(s) of this whatsoever.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

[Obvious Casting Joke]Chris Pine for Starbuck and Zachary Quinto for Apollo![/Obvious Casting Joke]

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Not even close. Rowling had a great deal of control over HP because she had a lot of leverage based on how badly Warners wanted the property. Larson has none, really, because Universal can take or leave something like BSG. There's just no significant public clamor for it, but it's not costing them an arm and a leg to acquire and if the first one succeeds it's got franchise potential.

Yep.

Expect a lot of talk from Singer and others about what "great ideas Glen has, he's lived with this for forty years, he's not just here to rubber stamp what we do blah de blah blah blah..."all of which means the opposite or wouldn't be said at all. :lol:

No announcement ever will. Gene Roddenberry got a credit and was "consulted" on movies that he disliked and had no real influence on whatever. He did get paid, though.

12. DigificWriter

Why would Universal make the announcement concerning the BSG reboot movie - which specifically mentions Larson's involvement and the particulars thereof - if they were later going to turn around, hire Singer, and exclude Larson from the process entirely aside from paying him for the rights to the property? Why not go after Singer directly and follow a similar process with what they did for RDM's BSG (give Larson a concialiatory credit)?

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

They play up Larson's involvement in order to get the original BSG fans on board, obviously. I, too, find it unlikely his participation will extend beyond a credit and a nice check.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Exactly so. Flattering Larson in the context of the announcement doesn't make him harder to deal with, either.

Apparently - and online reporting on this goes way back to the 1999 project - Larson's separable rights with regard to a BSG movie are more substantial than as regards television.

Offering him a credit on nuBSG may have had less to do with generosity and more to do with not being able to predict how much credit a WGA arbitration might have awarded him. Credits are money.

15. DigificWriter

Voice of God and My Name is Legion: If Universal cuts Larson out of the project entirely beyond just giving him a concialiatory credit, they'll have lost the original BSG fans anyway, so this idea that they'd play up Larson's involvement and then not have him involved later on down the line defeats the purpose of announcing that he'd be involved.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

No it doesn't.

First, they have to make a deal with him because he owns the rights they need. So offering or not offering him something isn't an option they have.

Secondly, as long as he's well-paid, on board with a title and saying nice things about the project they're not going to lose a single fan among the three or four dozen who actually still constitute oldBSG fandom.

If you think the studio is relying on the original fandom even for WOMs on this thing, you're very much mistaken - they're not going to spend big bucks on an exercise in nostalgia on any level, but on a state-of-the-art summer blockbuster that they hope will put youngsters' butts in seats the same way that Transformers and its ilk do.

I have no idea what a "conciliatory credit" is in the context under discussion, much less what a "concialiatory" one might be - people get credits for something, even if it's just their enthusiastic endorsement of a project.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Admiral Admiral

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Strangely enough, that could work.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur Vice Admiral Admiral

And now that Zach has come out as Gay, it would ignite Slash Fan Fiction

20. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm basically in this camp. The original show was a little silly and mostly only worth watching for the modelwork, the Ron Moore series was fantastic, and if Bryan Singer wants to make a space opera movie that just happens to borrow this franchise name (which is in effect what would happen) I'm pretty okay with that. Not one of Singer's biggest fans, but I vaguely like the idea we'll see more space opera movies in the cinema.

Come now that shouldn't be that much of a problem. The original BSG was quite markedly a juvenile show. BSG skewed to a more older target audience, I'd guess, but I'd find it hard to belive there's many nuBSG fans here who automatically hate space opera because it's targeted at younger moviegoers (as, really, most all space opera cinema is).

This could be a blast. Could be a big, splashy, bombastic space epic. And that'd be alright with me.