Talk of Bryan Singer's BSG project resurfaces

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by C.E. Evans, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Uhuh like the survivors of the holocaust are all insane?

2. vampgrrl

vampgrrl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sure some did go insane. Difference being, there was a civilization outside of that..I can't speak to what they experienced though. I'm talking about the end of the world.

BBC's Threads is a better example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlRhf6dpPiA&feature=related

3. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And again, not criticizing RDM's approach, at all. It was great. It worked...BUT I still contend it's not the only way to go about it.

Yes, the days after 9/11 were terrible. But we moved on. Life goes on. Life must go on. The more terrible events are, it's that much more important, essential even, to fortify, rebuild, cling to what is life affirming.

But it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. To say there are other ways to go about telling this story is not to say RDM was flawed in his choice of assumptions.

4. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

We moved on from 9/11 because 0.00005% of the population was killed and a few buildings destroyed. We would not be able to move on if 99.999999% of our population was killed and every building, every piece of history, every achievement, every monument and heirloom, and all legacy of the human race were all destroyed.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ At the risk of sounding dense - We wouldn't be able to move on because we don't have access to a space fleet with which we can leave the planet and search for a new home. The BSG characters did. They didn't have to sit there and stew in the ruins of their worlds.

6. stonester1

Yes...and having been in that situation, you can state this as an absolute fact, can you?

7. stonester1

And even then, if there were no space fleet, you could eventually see about rebuilding and recovering...or stew in your misery until you died out.

8. Deckerd

Yes the fact that there were still people on Caprica a year after the attack indicates that left to their own devices, the inhabitants would have continued to rebuild. In fact since we only saw at most one continent of Caprica, what's to say that other survivors didn't flourish once the cylons packed up and left?

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't any human survivors left in the colonies eventually die of radiation exposure?

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

Many would die, sure, but not all. Radiation wouldn't easily cover an entire planet, it would be concentrated in certain areas and fallout would be carried around by prevailing winds. But there would definitely be areas exposed to very little or no radiation. The number of nukes required to totally saturate a planet with radiation is too excessive to be practical, even for Cylons.

Besides, the Cylons moved in after, so clearly they didn't want to make the planets totally uninhabitable.

11. Valley Forge

Valley Forge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Late to the conversation...but...

Not all of the nuColonies were all that super deluxe to begin with. Aquaria was a frozen planet version of Minnestoa filled with libertarian goo-goo clusters, Gemenon was filled religious zealots and Libran was filled with lawyers. I'm guessing neither was on anyone's "must see" list while on vacation.

With that said, if you had some folks from a underwater research colony on Aquaria that popped their heads up a month later to see the one spot of dry land nuked clean, the overall level of radiation probably would be less, since there was less surface area to bombard.

As far as EJOs comment that BSG and Blade Runner should be linked in some way...sure, OK, I'm down with that. BUT, that would also mean that BSG would be linked by association with Soldier, and this would lead to confusion as to what part Kurt Russell would play in the new film:guffaw:...

Vf

12. Deckerd

I thought Soldier made a nod to Blade Runner and not the other way round. So the 'linked by association' would only work if BSG and Soldier were linked.

Nevertheless it would be cool to see the Galactica traversing the Tannhauser Gate.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

At least he can state it with high certainty.

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Both films had screenplays by David Peoples, so I'm sure the nods in Soldier were in reference to his earlier work on Blade Runner (co-written with Hampton Fancher; from the PK Dick novel, obviously).

15. Deckerd

Of course they were. Valleyforge was saying BR was linked by association to Soldier but it was the other way round.

16. stonester1

No. He can't. He is taking a completely hypothetical scenario and stating his opinion about it, nothing more.

He can be completely certain about his opinion, but he cannot even begin to elevate it to the level of fact, or even anything like likelyhood. It is a complete opinion and guess.

17. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

As a matter of mere survival, the human race got past a population bottleneck of as few as 10,000 people. The Colonials always had at least 3 times that. All they needed was a habitable place to settle.

18. xortex

xortex Commodore

I think he would do a better job certainly than Moore but the premise needs more work and if RDM couldn't work it out with the series creator (Anderson), there's no reason to think Singer will either since he is not a creative in the strictest sense. Well at least not as much as Moore, which is not saying much, but I would enjoy it more as it would undoubtably be brighter, uplifting and more thoughtful.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

"Brighter and uplifting?" It's a story about humanity being slaughtered by killer robots. How the hell do you make something like that bright and uplifting?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  20. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like the original series, it could be more like Adama leading the best of humanity from the sinks of perdition to the promised land of Earth. Think Brigham Young leading the way to Utah, except with Cylons for dastardly Injuns.